Do many translators take requests or commission work or do most groups just choose what they like?

Dex-chan lover
So I began Marusei and I found that all the raws are pretty clean and available here https://raw.senmanga.com/Marusei but I am surprised no one has picked it up to translate it. I wonder if I can find a group that is open to suggestions, I saw that MangaDex Dropped Manga thread and they were swarmed requests so I wonder if it is even welcome to approach groups about requests.

Power Uploader
Traditionally groups scanlates what they like first, then the public demand (if their TL is up to the task), and finally paid commissions for series a particular member really likes but don't have the ability to TL himself. You can put suggestions to almost all groups out there, though whether they'll accept or not is entirely up to them.

Group Leader
I translate Nihonkoku Shoukan Light Novel, so the peeps on my Discord says: Hey Nihonkoku Shoukan got a manga, so we slowly and leisurely translate the manga too (while discussing in Discord)... That's how our group first participate in manga scanlation.

For The Sorcerer King and The Barbarian Queen, it was because after I finished rushing Nihonkoku Shoukan manga and caught up with the RAW, I was reading the title and the Group Chapter 1 basically says: Contact your favorite translator group to pick this series. Fortunately, I know someone who can do stuff like this... Which is me, but honestly, translating that one chapter took so many efforts that I ended up burned out. Hence, afterward, we do our stuff slowly...

Oh... I don't think we will ever accept any commission TLs, since honestly, we are either bunch of dudes with a full day job or just plain lazy yukkuris...

Users who are viewing this thread