Opening a Café in Another World

Group Leader
Why isn't anyone translating this?
Is it that bad?

I've checked, 5 volumes tankoubon in Japan... doesn't it mean it's at least decent?
Plus, with so much raw content, you could translate this for a while before catching up to the original release.

I hope someone picks this up soon, there's a real shortage of isekai mangas with female leads and without a harem aspect.

Dex-chan lover
How I imagine the scneario to be:

Goddess: "Every time I come visit the mortal plane, the food tastes like crap. Someone fix it for me"

Fed-Kun's army
I've been waiting for this isekai for some time, even if it's really senseless to see that they can not even cook decent bread with all the magic they have available. xD
Thanks for starting to translate this manga, I can not wait to read more chapters.

Aggregator gang
I'm troubled with this title. Although I love shoujo mangas, even better if it is a café, my distaste for isekais is growing everyday. So please, hear this sincere question: is this any good?

Fed-Kun's army
@metaldog564 it depends on your tastes, if you like the shojo manga where the protagonist is a cook and does not do anything else then for you.
It's a light manga where on balance it does not happen other if I remember correctly. ?

Aggregator gang
If we're being realistic, a world where the food is terrible would be a world in which there was no good food available, or else one in which humanity was so completely different from the way it is in reality that somebody transferred there from here would be in shock from a lot of other sources as well.

In the real world, people have always gone after tasty food. Salt has been so important for so long that its importance is even built into our language (you work for you salary — salt money). When the ancient Romans got their first taste of pepper, they went crazy over it and added it to everything, even desserts. When pure sugar got introduced to Europe in the medieval era, the Europeans ate so much of it that their teeth turned black, and the people who couldn't afford to eat that much artificially blackened their teeth to pretend they could. (The facts for alcohol are similar — when distilled liquor was introduced to England, people actually started drinking themselves to death on such a regular basis that it became a serious problem, like the way drugs are a problem.) Even in countries where the choice of ingredients was historically relatively limited, like Japan, they made sweets and alcohol. This really doesn't make any sense.

@ZeeVee In absence of further material, the premise is right now only echoing her coworker's sentiment that the food in England sucked. Not that it was bad in of itself, but just completely unsuitable for her palate. Insert the age old jokes that the British only know how to boil food to death here.

Same went for Japan though- when they began receiving foreign foods and recipes from abroad in the Meiji and Taisho eras they were very heavily tweaked to suit the local palate and regional availability of ingredients and thus yoshoku cuisine was born. Now iconic things like curry rice and napolitan spaghetti are the result of this treatment and honestly really don't resemble what they were adapted from all that much. So I think the best understanding of the heroine's predicament right now anyway is not that the food is bad in of itself, but just the food culture is just completely the opposite of what she can acclimate herself to. For example, only having hard, crusty bread as the local option when you are used soft, spongey loafs is a pretty sharp contrast, especially if you discover you really don't like the former. Though we'll likely see within a few more chapters whether or not that is the case. Also no accounting for taste, pun sorta intended, in that this world might just genuinely find this food good and this world's humans have no decent palate by our standards. Wouldn't read too much into the omake gag strip of the sprite's thought of eating human food is a punishment...yet.

Fed-Kun's army
@ZeeVee Totally agree. Even Animals prefer tasty food. Why do you think bear eat honey or horse eat carrot before grass. Also, tasty food help digestion. While medieval foods were worst than now, they were tasty. Cakes and the like already existed, and meat had already a lot of way to be cooked. I could understand if the food was not delicious, unsatisfactory. But to say digusting is 2 worlds apart.

Ima post this here too. This manga is setting up some European situation that never existed in real life. No spices equal bland food? Really? Have you actually been to Europe Author?

Where's the cheese, dairy based foods, the sausages, pickled foods that real Europeans eat? Yes no potatoes or tomatoes, but really, no mention of European specialties like Ham, Jerky, Pies etc? REALLY? They spent months preparing for winter, Europe had plenty of time to make tasty preserved foods like the rest of the world. Also, if the food is bland, WHY DON'T YOU COOK IT IN ANIMAL FAT LIKE EVERYONE ELSE DOES.

Also, does the author not understand butter is life and Olive oil and Eggs are great in Europe? Or that Raisin bread in Europe where wine and grape cultivation was common? How about Fruit pies and traditional fruit based drinks and foods? Or beans yeah? You would be surprised how good beans taste when cooked correctly. Actually, how about anywhere that bread is made was probably good at finding ways to make it tasty.

And if the bread is so hard. . . . . DUNK THE DAMN BREAD IN THE SOUP. Everyone does it JUST DO IT. MAKE YOUR DREAMS COME TRUE. NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE, JUST DO IT!

Aggregator gang
@TheGTF: It's obvious that the whole point is that she's going to revolutionize cuisine in that world, and everybody is going to say "wow, your food is so good, I never thought eating could actually be pleasant!". If she wasn't going to do that, then there would be no point to having a manga, and in fact the manga description kind of demands that that happen. And that means that the people in the other world have similar tastes to us and have created an advanced civilization without creating almost any pleasant-to-eat meals, and that's just nonsense. (In fact, it's actually impossible for them to have discovered how to make leavened bread — which is actually a surprisingly complicated thing to make if you're starting from "hunter-gatherer in a field of wheat"* — without discovering how to make soft bread. They've already been shown eating hard leavened bread, and I'd be willing to bet that when she inevitably makes a soft bread they'll all be amazed at how wonderful it is.)

*Not as complicated as modern-day clothing, though. If your doomsday prep plans don't include people who are going to grow textile-producing plants like flax or cotton, harvest the materials, spin thread, weave cloth, cut, and sew, then your team is going to die of exposure before you get around to much in the way of rebuilding society. (You could also raise sheep, of course, but you'll still need to grow plants for thread, unless you're planning to get a million times more complicated and synthesize thread from petroleum.)

Double-page supporter
this manga would be(in my opinion) better if the MC is something like a chef or a cook that has a broader knowledge of food than an office worker...

Twi

@zetsuravez
I’m certain it was intended to be anything but someone with extensive cooking knowledge like a chef. To better showcase the Japanese patriotism that Japan is the best and could do no wrong. So much better than everything else in the world even an office worker can revolutionize the world.

Users who are viewing this thread