Dekisokonai no Himegimi-tachi - Vol. 3 Ch. 13 - We're not Equal

Dex-chan lover
I mean, these “namecalling Arcs” are always just silly melodrama...even if it is a Japanese thing.

Can’t be helped, I guess.

Double-page supporter
@Gustbk Yeah, to me it just seems so weird. I don't understand what's the issue! 😅

@Gustbk in Japan, calling someone by their given (first) name is reserved only for those you are intimately familiar with. Basically it’s normally reserved for either family or your spouse. It’s just how the culture is there

Fed-Kun's army
kinda wondering which of the girls has bigger issues / is more likely to wreck everything in her way 😅

Dex-chan lover
Gosh, she is even more insecure than Yamada. Have more self confidence girl, she's a human like you.

Sem

Dex-chan lover
Holy shit her childhood friend's fujoshi levels are uncontrollable

Dex-chan lover
@TheMagicToaster Yeah, although it's not quite that simple either . . . there's a big variation in how formal people are about that kind of thing, so you get some informal-style, forward characters wanting to move straight into first-name basis (like we see here) and other more reserved, polite or traditional characters sticking pretty firmly to last-name or last-name+"san" even. Often causes jealousy in romance manga, like "I love her, why is this person calling her by her first name when I'm not even doing that" etc etc etc.
Over time reading manga I've gotten quite acclimatized to it and come to quite like (and sometimes squee over) the dynamics of how romantically attached people do the name thing.

Iro-Chan has too much BL\Yuri mangas at home :D and for me Izumi and Fujishiro are not looking like real Gyarus, they look rather normal now but Fujishiro looked like a Gyaru in the beginning and Izumi realized that Fujishiro & Kurokawa didn't want to talk about how they became friends. That dark shadow panel on page 25 surprised me a little bit :D

Dex-chan lover
pretty much figured she was gonna say that in the end smh.... but still

anyway looking forward to the next ch

Dex-chan lover
Drama about calling people by their first name is always kind of funny to me, since I have kind of the opposite thing, where my closest friends call me by my last name instead and it feels weird for less familiar people to use it.

But also, stop being so dang useless, princesses.

@subarukyun thats right..
F9TwfSs8RxFo5Pz8A

Dex-chan lover
Japanese culture's obsession with names and honorifics sure is a never-ending source for conflict and angst in Japanese fiction, yet it all seems so trivial and incomprehensible in the eyes of Westerners.

I wonder if there is anything in Western culture that plays the same role in our fiction that Japanese readers are equally puzzled and bemused by?

Users who are viewing this thread