Clarification on rules and moderation

Clarification on rules and moderation

• Yes, I believe that the current rules should be more clearly defined and fleshed out so that all loo

Votes: 591 26.1%
  • No, I believe that the rules are fine as written and that current moderation efforts are satisfactor

Votes: 1,448 64.0%
  • No, I believe that the moderation team is too harsh and rules should be more lax.

Votes: 224 9.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Miku best girl
Admin
Recent events have generated a lot of discussion concerning how MangaDex enforces its rules and how much of a hand MangaDex should have in moderating behavior. This post will hopefully clear up some of this confusion and dispel some anger that we have not taken an official stance on some things.

Firstly, as we have often said before: We are not here to provide a moral compass or take sides. We are nothing more than a platform that aims to serve scanlators, assist them in reaching a wider audience, and provide our readers with fun manga to read. The rules that we have in place are intended to enforce basic civility and nothing more.

Some have complained that our rules are vague and contain numerous loopholes that people abuse. Believe me when I say that all of staff have worked extremely hard to put in place rules that are fair without being suffocating. There are occasions where our rules have been modified when we’ve found that they do not work like we intended. We do not double down and insist we are right when it becomes clear that a rule is detrimental to MangaDex’s functions. In regards to loopholes, some are unintentional and we try to address that wherever and whenever we can. Some rules are kept intentionally vague because we recognize that our moderation teams need broad powers in determining what punishment fits the crime or if any crime was even committed.

In regards to scanlation groups, this point must be made abundantly clear: MangaDex has been, and always will be, neutral when it comes to internal group dynamics or when groups feud for whatever reason. We are a platform, not a mediator or arbitrator of scanlator conduct. It has long been internal policy to stay out of group drama to avoid the appearance of favoritism. This means that we will not interfere with sniping, which is the practice in which groups/translators "steal" a series from a group that is already working on said series. It also means that we will not interfere when groups talk about other groups (negatively or otherwise) in credit pages, TL notes, extra pages, etc., etc. In addition, a recent clarification of the Stay on Topic, Don't be Disruptive rule, means that we will allow scanlators and users to discuss everything in a scanlator's release, including any drama that may be included. Of course, this will still be subject to 5.1 and its related rules.

Unlike every other aggregator out there, we do not believe in altering a group’s release to suit our needs. We will not censor a release in any way unless the release is clearly a troll or contains something egregiously offensive. To this date, we have only removed *one* credit page because it contained a highly offensive reference to the New Zealand shooting.

I hope that this has cleared up staff’s stance on moderation and our rules.

Also, while the opinions of a small, vocal minority has been made known, we’d like to hear from you what you think about our rules and how our moderation teams (both forum moderators and site moderators) are doing. Take a look at the poll above and share with us your thoughts and opinions.

Poll Question: Do you think MangaDex should take a firmer stance on moderating user conduct?

Lastly, some individuals and scanlator groups take issue with our stance of donations and ads. Let me be clear that we have no issue with groups utilizing ads or asking for donations. We understand that servers and raws need to be paid for. Some groups even opt to pay their translators. Scanlation isn't free and isn't always cheap depending on how big your operation is. Our issue with ads is that most aggregators use ads for profit. Usually, that profit comes at the expense of readers whose computers or devices are infested with malware, viruses, or even hidden bitcoin miners. Our main issue with ads is that we believe they are detrimental to user experience and safety. That's why we have opted to not use ads.

Thank you all for taking the time to read this wall of text. We hope it has answered most, if not all of your questions. Please feel free to ask any questions below or simply comment on how you feel about this post. Also, please take the time to visit the above poll!

From the MangaDex Team

Too many crybabies always looking for something to feel offended over.

A luxury of those without actual strife.

If you continue to cater to the minority you'll inevitably alienate the masses.
This place is only special until it isn't.

Group Leader
where the "delete chapter threads" poll option at

You guys are doing a fine job. Vocal minorities are just that. Vocal Minorities. Moderate moderation and freedom are good things.

VIP
Remember when rapeman scans credit page make botato delete entries and enforcing censorship? pepperidge farm remembers

Group Leader
Thank you for this post. This clarifies nearly everything to a satisfactory degree.

I have one question, though. The existing rule 3.2.7 states:
Adding extra page(s) to chapters for the purpose of crediting scanlators or translation notes is generally OK. Extra pages which contain content that could be construed as offensive may be removed by staff.
Does this mean that offensive content or anything otherwise in violation of rules such as 5.1 would be allowed in a manga release supposing that it was not on an extra page? For example, spread throughout the margins of pages with manga on them.

Not to familiar with the moderation drama, but loopholes should be closed and rules clearly defined no matter if you want to make them stricter or laxer, as it prevent abuse on both sides. Both mods and users can abuse them to their own benefit if they are vague.

Power Uploader
Thanks for the clarification and addressing the issues both past and present. Neutrality is in my opinion the best stance. MD shouldn't have to bear the burden of settling drama, when using MD is a choice in the first place. Thanks for taking the time to clarify MD's intention. And here's hoping the community will likewise continue to display a regal posture we've failed to see on alternative sites.

MD@Home
There's only drama where drama is wanted... so far, MangaDex has done what it has intended to do, be a platform for manga readers and Scanlation groups to put their stuff on... forums and other forms of discussion are extra and that's why they have the rules they have set, it is there to act as the minimum acceptable conduct for its users. I don't expect, in any way, for MangaDex and its staff to teach or tell me how to be a proper member of society or how to act, only whether or not my actions are acceptable, and if not what punishments will I be given due to that.

Group Leader
I wasn't aware there even were loopholes people were taking advantage of. I selected option 2, although if there are loopholes that are being abused, then for sure the rules ought to be amended to address them. It's not like they're set in stone after all.

"Become like water my friend." - Bruce Lee

i feel your current approach works quite well. it's impossible to make everyone happy, and i believe that how someone handles negative feedback and heated situations tells more about them than how they handle the opposite. looking at the recent drama, the team has (at least from my perspective) handled it all very well. in fact i've been pleasantly surprised by the number of posts that mention rule changes in response to community feedback - keeping things somewhat flexible is key to being an open platform.

is a Reindeer
VIP
@Speedphoenix We have no problems dropping a series to let another more interested group pick it up. Many holes to fill, not worth fighting over the same one.

Contributor
Should I been honest without Bootlicking?? No offense though
I think MD is always fine and the mods is friendly dude, But small individuals and groups misinterprets the MD rule,
I Like how MD always neutral stance towards parties
You know OLD batoto has many Asshole mods, a Simple no offensive joke led me Got ban without warning,

Custom title
Staff
Developer
Voted 2 just so I can see the results, don't count me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread