Is there any comic book reader out there with webtoon/long strip support?

Contributor
I tried SumatraPDF (as it was the only one that was ever remotely close to being useful in this regard) and the scrolling speed is disastrous. It doesn't have to be as good as the Long Strip reader in MangaDex but I expected to find at least one that actually worked at all.

Group Leader
I've had similar problem (with additional restriction of working on Linux). I never found good reader, but i've found some workarounds.
It probably won't be much help, but i will list them for future reference:
1) It's possible to automatically join whole chapters into one really long png (using tool like imagemagick), and then read it using standard reader like mcomix (and it's pretty comfortable - i'm still using that method). Drawback is wasting disc space. Old, badly written readers will also have problems with loading huge pages. Additionally, when testing this method for mangadex, i've noticed, that when chapters are really long, and file quality high, joining process gets CPU expensive.
2) Second option may sound like heresy, but it's about converting all pages of chapter to pdf. If done properly, loss of quality will not be so bad. Then, You can open file with any pdf reader (preferably type that can be configured for minimal/none break between pages). This solution is inferior to 1), but it's gentle for CPU, and there are no reader problem.

Both options can be handled automatically. It's possible to integrate them with downloading software, and generate so called "Long Strip files" on the fly.

Those are only workarounds - if someone knows good reader with Long Strip mode, i will be eternally grateful for his konwledge.

I've been using this for years https://github.com/zackad/offmar
It's a userscript for browser, so you need script manager such as Tampermonkey or similar add-on to make it works.

If what you want is to generate pdf you might want to use https://github.com/fmd-project-team/FMD
it's support other format such as epub.

Contributor
@rookiez Thanks for the response but I already use FMD and HakuNeko, I'm just looking for a reader that actually works without 5000 different compromises. Unfortunately I think I'd have to learn to code and literally code myself one by the looks of it. And the userscript on there doesn't work with CBZs.

@farahnur4242
try this one
https://getintopc.com/softwares/image-viewer/xnview-2-46-complete-free-download/

change the view to series
may need to toogle some settings
hvnt tried it yet

Contributor
@PIPSON2 I'm not exactly interested in turning my archives into strips manually, I just want a viewer that does it for me. I have like 300 gigs of manga and turning all of it into strips is going to be a massive hassle. Thankfully I think I found something useful, will update this thread if that one works out.

I've been using STDU viewer for years.

It's not perfect, and has some issues, but at least I don't have to edit the files and it will scroll through the images as fast as I scroll with my finger (usually).

If there's something better around I'd love to know about it. (I go on a hunt periodically and am always disappointed.)

I was using MComix for years. It has a long strip feature and can open rar, zip, cbz, etc. files. The only problem was that it started slowing down if the file itself has too many pages, like 200+.
After that I switched to Honeyview. Less features but more lightweight.

Contributor
@Archiver I can't find the option in MComix to enable long strip. Anyways I've been using HakuNeko, one of my downloaders as my reader as so far that is the only reader where I can change chapters, read webtoons and use vertical scrolling in the same window. At this point I'm hoping that https://github.com/TachiWeb/TachiWeb-Server gets developed enough to match the current Tachiyomi in the least. Unfortunate that only mobile (Android/iOS) readers have all the features and PC readers have next to none.

Users who are viewing this thread