Polite Mangadex Downloader - try it out

Group Leader
UPDATE: There's a new version that addresses hung forever checking your favorites - it had to do with needing to clear mangadex login cookies.

New version v1.1.2: http://sizer99.com/pmd/ has some big feature improvements. See below.

This POLITELY downloads your new manga chapters from Mangadex. It's (slightly) less burden on the server than if you were reading it on the site. It only looks at your follows pages to find new chapters, so even if you have 800 follows it only has to look at one or two pages. Cheap! It's got a queue, but only fetches one page at a time, and it waits a few seconds between pages. It takes a while to download. That's okay, just fire it up and read it all later that night.

It's for people who like reading manga offline fullscreen on our tablets with a full-featured reader like Perfect Reader.

*** Don't download constantly or your IP will be banned temporarily because Mangadex has a low hit threshold to beat harvesters like MangaFox scum. Just use it to get your new stuff or the occasional series.

[ul]
Only supports Mangadex now. I will not support crappy pirate sites like MangaFox or MangaPanda.
Only Windows version for now, though Mono could be possible. It uses .NET 4.5.
You must have a Mangadex account, because it needs your favorites page to work.
Manage your favorites on the Mangadex site. If you add a new favorite on the site, it'll pick it up automatically.
Manage your language or other filter preferences on Mangadex, not in the app.
Supports extra-favorite series (Komi-saaaaan) for priority download.
You can only find new series on the Mangadex site. It doesn't keep its own list of every single series on the site.
For speed, it will keep a local database of what you've already gotten, and supports manual download of old chapters.
Supports translation group ignore.
Supports cbz or individual image save. Supports pretty arbitrary filenames / cbz / zip / subdirectories.
Nothing is ever sent to me, and there are no ads - I don't care what you're reading, I've got too much to read already.
[/ul]

Getting Started:
[ul]
Install and run it.
On the 'Mangadex Login' tab, set your username and password. These are stored encrypted. - On the 'Save Optons' tab, set your Save Directory and File Format.
You can try setting the naming if you want, though it has a decent default of SERIES\SERIES vVOL cCHAP TITLE - PAGE.zip
Go to 'Known Series' tab, right click the upper grid, 'Recheck Favorite Series'
Say yes, and it'll fetch all your favorites from MangaDex
You're good!
[/ul]

Normal Use:
[ul]
'Download Queue' tab, hit 'Find New', then 'Download'
You can also set 'Options -> General -> On Start' to 'Find and Download New Chapters'
There are lots of other options - try right clicking things or typing the start of a series name in the series box.
Set series priority so your favorites get downloaded first!
[/ul]

FAQ:
[ul]
Do you save my password? Yes, using .NET's ProtectedData class. Only the same user can decode it even if they know where to look.
Do you send my info anywhere? No, if I want to find out what you're reading I can just go look on Mangadex. It doesn't even check for updates at the moment, though that might be a future option.
What's the database? SQLite. It's good enough for this small amount of data.
Mac and Linux versions? It's C#/WinForms, so a Mono version might be possible...
Open source? Maybe - it was a rush job, and while the design worked great it needs some clean up and more internal documentation first.
[/ul]

Instrumentality Instigator
Staff
Super Moderator
Wow @oldtaku! Looks like you've put an awful lot of work into this. I know forums haven't been very busy lately but this thread needs some more love.

We appreciate you taking pains to make sure that this doesn't stress the servers more than absolutely necessary. If we had flair, I'd give you a gold star. =)

MD@Home
@oldtaku
MangaDex's rate limiter is set to blacklist an IP address if it sends more than 600 requests to the webserver within a 10 minutes (manga images are excepted). Is it possible that the downloader is accidentally exceeding this?

Group Leader
@AkiKav: I haven't had a problem since I let it run for four hours just to see if it could run that long without crashing (answer, yes). It's good to know that though.

The delay between getting pages and images is a random 2 to 7 seconds. It just doesn't do anything fast. Now what might have happened is when you get caught in the login cookies loop (you log in but the site tells you to log in again, till you delete your browser cookies), it was re-trying to log in. ad infinitum. I currently have a five second delay for that (and abort if it fails twice), but I don't remember if I did at the time. So in that case it could have hit the site too fast.

I've been running it two weeks since then without a problem, but I've never run it for hours on end either.

Group Leader
- 2018-05-17 V1.1.2:
[ul]
Add 'Go to Chapter in Series Tab' right click from DLQueue
Don't disable clear button while downloading - works fine.
[/ul]
- 2018-05-13 V 1.1.0:
[ul]Allow drag and drop reorder of rows in DLQueue.
Save DLQueue when quitting, reload on start, so you don't lose anything unless explicitly cleared.
Make hitting spacebar in Chapters window mark as done/undone more intuitively.
Handle all Mangadex's series view formats.
[/ul]
At this point it does everything I wanted it to do, so anything new will be bugfixes or 'Oh hey, that would be neat'.

How long do IP bans last? I think I saw somewhere that it was 24 hours, but I also heard that Cloudflare makes permanent IP bans.

Group Leader
It was a full day for me. Hasn't happened since figuring out you need to clear all cookies before trying to log in (to be safe) though.

Staff
Admin
You can request to have an accidental ban removed on Discord in #support.

Group Leader
New version 1.1.7 http://sizer99.com/pmd/

1.1.7:
- Scroll series tab to Series when selected from download queue. It was selecting, but not scrolling.

1.1.6:
- New: Add 'Add Series From URL' option on series list right click, for adding really old series without rescanning everything.
- Fix: 'Go to Chapter in Series Tab' not working on new series

1.1.4:
- Fix: a strange column sizing issue when chapter title too long
- Fix: sometimes DLing chapter twice

It's been running constantly for a month without any major problems. I fixes the minor ones as I finds them.

Hello, Sarusa, I am having difficulties with the program. This is most likely an operator error.

I cannot click the hyperlinks within the program, and I cannot retrieve any data whatsoever. I'm not exactly sure what is happening since it does say it is fetching favorites and the like. However, nothing happens, even as hours pass. Things like this are not my strong point, so I'm genuinely interested in learning and correcting my error.

Hi,
I keep getting error whenever i clicked "Find New".
I'm using Windows 10 and i already input my login and password in the "Mangadex Login" section; not sure if I'm using the program correctly. It's my first time using this software.
Was wondering if anybody could help me?

Thanxs.

Hello @sarusa ! Sorry to bother you on an old post, but I was referred here by one of the MD Admins on the Mangadex subreddit. I am having some trouble with the Polite Mangadex downloader. As I download files using any of the save options, I am unable to use them in manga/comic readers or any standard image reading program. They're downloading packaged correctly into the .zip or .cbz file but the individual images within aren't tagged as their extension (.jpeg, .png, etc) and instead they are tagged as "File". I've also tried using the individual images save method and it also has the same problem. I'm not sure if I have set something up incorrectly or what, but I believe I followed the instructions correctly. Attached is an example of the file issues I'm having.

sL7PixW.jpg

Thank you in advance for your help!

Power Uploader
You can see the extension in the file names in the snippet (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 3 - Stardust Crusaders [Official Colored] v01 c010 - 001.jpg [JoJo's Colored Adventure])

You just need to change the order of the last two brackets in the File Name field under Options.
I'm guessing it looks sort of like this: {%s}\{%s}{ v%02v}{ c%003c}{ %t}{ - %003p}{%e}{[%g]}
So you would just need to change it to: {%s}\{%s}{ v%02v}{ c%003c}{ %t}{ - %03p}{[%g]}{%e}
As {%e} symbolizes the file extension it need to go at the end.

As for the "couldn't find dataurl info" error, you need to change the Reader setting to Legacy under Site Settings

Users who are viewing this thread