What are everyone's thoughts on the We Never Learn anime

I have watch seven episodes of the anime adaptation of Taishi Tsutsui We Never Learn, and I guess I have mixed feelings about the anime. At the moment I am feeling annoyed by the story with how the characters get into predicaments/misunderstandings that could easily have been gotten out of or explained but they end up fumbling over it, as well as how dense the protagonist can be at times (can he seriously not read what is going on in the moment). However I am intrigue with the theme the story is going with as it's something I can relate to a degree. The situation of wanting to do something in life but you are blocked by a particular shortcoming your struggle with is something I have dealt with and still going through (though I am taking a break at the present to focus on building on my strengths). The story seems to be at it's best for me when it's focus more on it's main plot and theme then it is with the romantic comedy, and I would like to see the conclusion the story comes to in the end, which would most likely involved reading the original manga since I do not know if the whole story is going to be adapted. Besides it would go by faster to read the manga then sit through a episode and be annoyed by the shenanigans involve. I might see if I can check the books out from one of the libraries in my county.

How do you all think of the We Never Learn anime so far? Do you like it nor no, and what is it about the anime that you like and/or do not like about it? I felt like having a discussion about the anime after marathoning the anime to catch up.

Dex-chan lover
The "anime" is pretty good I would say.
Although there are some stuff that bother me
For example: The color and the contrast(?) in the anime.
It's pretty high/too vibrant(?), so sometimes it just hurt my eyes and looks kinda off.

An example of that perhaps, Fumino's hair colors...
In the manga it's appear to be black with a hint of blue, in the anime it's just blue.. and it's quite brighter than what I would want to see.

Edit:
Oh right, forgot to notify the OP @May_Lily

I look at some images of Fumino hair from the manga online and it looks to go back and forth between appearing blue and looking like what you describe.

Sorry to hear that the visuals bother your eyes.

Dex-chan lover
@May_Lilly

Themes are a good point to always bring out. Unfortunately the dense protagonist is a trope that’s overly used.

In addition some stories unfortunately are based off of misunderstandings, it’s rare that you’ll have a story we’re characters will actually communicate their thoughts and feelings.

That way it helps clear the confusion. 9 times out of 10 MC will be pummeled by female character because he exists.

Dex-chan lover
@May_Lily ah.. right. Perhaps I was exaggerating quite a bit, it didn't really hurt my eyes it just looks kinda displeasing that it might as well do that. 😅

Still.. The hair colors looks unnatural to me. 🤔
T1.jpg

Now this, feel more natural compared to the full on blue.
Also I would like to point out that I feel Uruka's hair got the same issue as well, though it doesn't bother me too much like Fumino's did.
additional note: I think I do get why the colors looks like that, but now I'm also getting the impression that the one in charge with the color for the anime is a Dragon Ball Super fans, you know.. because there's some hair that is bright red and blue like the Super Saiyan God?? But this one probably just me imagining it too much lol. 😅

Well that problem aside, I also think there's some animation that also looks off. Like in the recent ep. 7, around the ending there was a scene where Fumino and Nariyuki walking and then just freeze up, I get what it trying to do but it looks rather awkward.

But I guess enough of me nitpicking it.
It does have something that I love, like for example the opening and ending song, it sounds very cheerful.

@Xzayer

From my experience it seems that harem stories are the ones that seem to rely most on dense protagonists and the characters misunderstanding each other for the sake of comedy as well as plot to some degree. Also in recent memory the one anime I can think of in which their was a misunderstanding between characters, yet they solve it sooner though talking it out was P.A Works' Iroduku: The World in Colors (which is not a harem anime by the way) from last year's autumn anime season. I was glad and perhaps a bit amaze the characters involve in the misunderstanding solve the problem through communicating with each other.

I shared this idea on a server in discord in that it would be nice if a protagonist of a harem story was actually a open pervert who took advantage of hanging out with the women who forms his harem. He would get into awkward situations as he tries to take a peak or do perversive things with the female characters. I was told this was done in hentai and ecchi stories, but I think this idea could work while still keeping the story PG13/Teen like We Never Learn is rated.

@ABCsOfLife

Oh! Well alright.

As for hair color I would say most of the characters' hair color looks unnatural being that the natural hair color for a Japanese person is typically black (sometimes brunette). As you said Fumino hair color, as well as NariyukiI would point out, in the picture you posted and tagged as spoiler looks to be the closest to being natural. By the way what do you think is the reason the people making the show are making their hair appear brighter?

Concerning the opening and ending songs they do sound nice and upbeat. I think I especially like the ending theme.

Dex-chan lover
@May_Lily

Typically if the show is trying to be realistic black hair is the go to choice. But there a a few reasons as to why they change the color.

1) To make the MC stand out within a room. If there are other important side characters there hair is usually (not always) a shade different from black.

2) Having another color hair looks exotic and stands out. Almost no one in Japan’s schools or workforce will try to go against the crowd by dyeing their hair. Rules are usually enforced within schools to have black hair. As for the workplace certain decorum is unspoken. I.E. tattoos, hair, etc.

3) This one I found to be more common, but hair color can be a cliche for personality. Hair color for male and female characters typically (generic not all the time) shows the type of personality they possess in a nutshell, idk why easy writing. Red head MC typically fiery/quick to getting angry. Fights a lot, views things with a positive outlook. Blond female side character ditsy, clumsy, friendly. Blue haired characters with glasses/know it alls.

Interesting!

The first and second reasons you mention reminds me of another anime I am watching this season titled Namuamidabutsu! -Utena- from Asahi Production. In that show the main cast are gods of Buddhist religion and most of them have unnatural hair color, but from what I have notice early from watching this anime was that all the human characters meanwhile have natural hair color (at least from what I have seen so far). I thought it was neat that there is a distinction between how the gods look versus how humans look.

So concerning the third reason could the author behind We Never Learn be using hair color to give an indication of the kinds of people the characters are? Part of the description for characters with red hair (viewing things with a positive outlook) fits with Uruka, and her hair appears to of a reddish tone.

Dex-chan lover
The colour scheme makes it unenjoyable. The characters' hair look like plastic too with the shiny white patch. Biggest gripe for me is their ears. Absolutely horrible ears drawing. As for the story itself, really mediocre but that's the manga's source issue as well. The manga itself only pick up the story in certain arcs, but 70% of the time it's just fanservice fillers. The longer the manga goes the worse it is than Nisekoi. At least Nisekoi had more plot on the romance part from 100 chapters in.

Wow! The character designs of the anime bother you that much I see.

Concerning the story I understand the problems the anime has is the result of the source material it's adapting. It does not feel promising to learn that 70% of the story is romantic comedy and fan service that so far is not funny to me but instead annoying. I can see how We Never Learn can get worse longer the series continues as I can imagine there is only so much one can do before the jokes use in the manga get stale. As for Nisekoi I have come across not so good comments about the manga in recent times, but the idea of the romance being apart of the story instead of just there solely for comedic reason seems better then what I am getting with this anime adaptation I am watching. It would be nice if We Never Learn has more of a balance in the way it tells it's main story while still providing that comedy in the process.

Dex-chan lover
Second terrible character design. Considering that source material faces wouldn't be that hard to adapt.

Personally I blame it on whoever cast the CV roles, yes they are great and famous, but they bleed the budget. I've got no proof but it's been bugging me.

@may_lily

No, similar to Nisekoi, Quintuplets and every other Romcom slice of life. The anime will most likely not have a fulfilling anime conclusion.

So how the characters are design in the We Never Learn anime adaptation bother you as well.

As for the We Never Learn anime not having a conclusion, I am not expecting for the show to end on a conclusion; especially being that from what I have heard this show is only going to be airing this season which is not enough to cover Taishi Tsutsui story. For the time being we are watching season 1 of We Never Learn, but if the anime does well enough, and Shounen Jump is willing I guess if I remember correctly how these things go, we could possibly see this show continue. The same is true with The Quintessential Quintuplets which is getting a season 2 that would be airing next year (despite how Tezuka Productions ended the anime). In my last reply I was talking about the manga the anime is adapting from.

Dex-chan lover
Hair colour and contrast have already been addressed above so I'm gonna talk about the hair shading, instead of having the hair all one colour they should've have followed the manga and added some shading. although not at the extent of chitoge in Nisekoi, It would look much nicer than if they didn't use only one or very similar tone for the hair, especially to imitate glistening in the sun. Just looks cheap, even Quintuplets hair looked better.

As I compared one of Taishi illustrations to one of the illustrations of the anime adaptation I do see what you mean by the hair (as well as looking a bit plastic as Xystus pointed out). Personally it does not bother me, but I can see if the person responsible for the character designs went with adding some shading to the characters hair it would look even better then they do now.

Contributor
I concur with the opinion on the art direction. Sensei's ass isn't as nice as the mangas.

Dex-chan lover
Steering away from that op and ed are pretty par to sub par. Wondering where EP 12 is gonna end at in source material doubt we are gonna get Juliet Furuhashi

Dex-chan lover
@Teddy probably it'll end around that summer festival chapter where..
Fumino ended up sleeping with Nariyuki.
Wait, if that the case is Fumino best gril?! No, Rizu is still best girl just because she's cute and kinda memeable.
DB1497E074E14DACA988B66C39801A7DF211CBF2

Dex-chan lover
@abcsoflife

Fumino nee-chan or Juliet Furuhashi are both good endings in my book. But it's weird that Furuhashi is the only with different hairstyles in the source and adapt .

Dex-chan lover
@Teddy just to be clear.. Juliet Furuhashi is the one on the School Festival right?

Edit:
Oh also, it's basically still Furuhashi right?

Users who are viewing this thread