Replacing final volume cover in finished manga scans

I honestly find irritating seeing costantly the cover of the last volume placed in front of you when you maybe didn't even start the specific manga, especially if romance is involved. It is just me?

jak

Contributor
Yeah, because sometimes the cover spoils it. I personally don't care about spoilers, but I think the main cover/thumbnail should always be the first volume cover.

Contributor
I agree with this, though I believe the reasoning for using later volume covers is so that users can see possible changes/improvement in the art style?
Still, later volume covers often contain spoilers, especially for fans of romance. I've always found the policy unconventional and annoying.
Perhaps having the first volume cover represent the main page, but then having an optional database of volume covers could - so to speak - cover both bases?
But I can see that growing very large, especially with works like one piece. We could store both the first and the latest and have it be a user setting which to view on the manga's info page, but that sounds uselessly complicated.
Perhaps it would suffice to just update the rules not to push later volume covers so hard, and leave the rest to the discretion of users and uploaders? Seeing as I'm not the first to mention romances by name, this problem might be more prevalent to that genre. I'm not sure it matters so much if you see on the cover that Goku's hair colour got another upgrade.

Update: the exact wording of the rule (yes, using later volume covers actually is in the rules) is as follows:
1.8.2 Content: Use a cover image of a later volume, unless it either doesn't fit the overall art style or theme of the comic or has major spoilers.
So it does take into account the possibility of spoilers, but only major ones. Naturally for series like
the famous hirunaka no ryuusei or the lesser known ryuu no hana wa zurai (what is it with "ryuu" and pulling off those big twists?)
the ending covers could be considered massive spoilers if the two leads are drawn together, but I think this thread is more about the smaller examples. For example, things like Yona looking strong and brandishing a weapon is an easily imaginable cover for a newer volume of Akatsuki no Yona, but I'd consider it a spoiler of her overall character development, which is rewarding specifically because it is a big, slow, and relatively unexpected change. Cases like this are very probably not counted as major spoilers, but I don't think I'm alone in not wanting to see them anyway.
Perhaps the exception should be extended to smaller spoilers as well? This still leaves some degree of control in the hands of the community, while allowing for nicer covers to be showcased when the content is non-problematic. (Like the actual later volume covers of Yona, where the improvement in the art and the artist's beautiful skill with watercolour really shows, but no particular spoilers are present, excluding the short hair Yona has had since the early but not beginning chapters.)
Tiny edit: the title calls out finished manga specifically, but I think this applies more widely.

Contributor
Well, you can use the report button if the cover is a spoiler

Contributor
Currently, only huge spoilers are against the rules. So yes, if it were a big spoiler. But small spoilers are not only allowed but essentially encouraged, since the rules say to use later volume covers. So there's no point in haranging the mods with useless reports of something that is encouraged by mangadex's policies.

Double-page supporter
There's major problem appears if you include "minor spoilers" into rules. Then anything beside first volume cover would be considered spoiler.

New character that wasn't in the first volume? OMG SPOILER, story progressing.
Small bruise on the cheek of MC? OMG SPOILER, MC got beaten up/got into car accident/whatever your wild imagination draws
Etc., etc., etc.

Personally I wouldn't mind somewhere in the settings "show first/last cover".

Users who are viewing this thread