Please put a Reply or Like Comment function.

Fed-Kun's army
It’s tiring always adding the @ and I’m not even sure if it works. If I see cool comments I can’t even thumbs it up yo and maybe make the Rating stars instead to be more visible. I really love this site and want to see more people on it

is a Reindeer
VIP
@UnknownSaint111 It definitely works :^) even works if you edit the @ in after you write the post

the forum is getting a complete overhaul after v4 is launched

@UnknownSaint111
Until then, you could try the userscript mentioned here -> https://mangadex.org/thread/28548 to make typing it a little easier.
Should work for most desktop browsers and firefox android.
Additionally, while its not perfect by any means, you may like https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/381831-mangadex-preview-post . Generates a post preview as you type. I was hoping such features might be included in the overhaul, but was too impatient to wait and see

Miku best girl
Admin
Definitely coming, just a question of when.

Wasn't there already an agreement that "likes" or "upvotes" or "thumbs up" was a detrimental mechanic that led to shallow tribalism and petty upvote/whatever farming?

Dex-chan lover
Upvote farming could be curbed by just not recording them. They would be a quick way to say "I like that" with out any long term ego stroking involved.

Dex-chan lover
@Drifter Won't work, YouTube don't record the amount of likes you get from comments yet everyone is like farming in there. A "reaction" on the other hand, is a different story.

If I see cool comments I can’t even thumbs it up
I don't know what the MangaDex admins' plans are on the aforementioned overhaul, and I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but comment rating systems just encourages ego trips (which is unhealthy btw). I'm not going to cite examples here (I'm really itching to say webtoons.com), and there are other ways to socialize without that.

want to see more people on it
Correct me if I'm wrong, but AFAIK, the reason for the server upgrades is the influx of users (and the DDoS attacks?) during the past months. Then there's this recent announcement that talks about that, right at the end of the first post. https://mangadex.org/thread/73148

Dex-chan lover
but comment rating systems just encourages ego trips (which is unhealthy btw). I'm not going to cite examples here (I'm really itching to say webtoons.com),
Eh...

Webtoons is actually one of the worst examples that you could give because everybody is wholesome there. Although, the system is incredibly unfair (only 3 comments get "top comments" and most people only see top comments so if you got on "top comments" your comment would get thousands of likes meanwhile others would get the ranges of 10), everybody there is incredibly wholesome. They don't even abuse the dislike system (unless you're being rude) which is an incredibly rare sight to see in a platform.

The "like" system in itself is not inherently bad, I think that a lot of people here are just worrying over that "shallow tribalism" deal. Ultimately, it just depends on the community. In the context of MangaDex, well, you never know till you try.

Plykiya, what do you mean by complete overhaul? Does it involve using a different forum software?

I want to state upfront that I don't mean for my comment here to disparage anyone, nor do I intend for it to be overly confrontational--I don't think it'll check either of those boxes, but I know syntax can be read differently by different eyes, so I just wanted to cover my bases here before getting into it.

With that out of the way: while I have no beef with adding some kind of "reply to comment" system, since that's just a natural extension of conversation (though I really don't see the problem in adding the '@' symbol before a name--you can copy/paste the name if you really don't want the extra keystrokes, but I've personally never understood when people had an issue with something like that; you're already gonna be typing something anyway, so what's the difference of adding a few more screen taps/keyboard strokes?) but I truly don't understand the seemingly large desire for a comment-rating system. Everyone has opinions on the opinions of others from time to time, and that's just fine. But do we really need to consistently broadcast that fact publicly? Especially if you're not actually motivated enough to say what that opinion is, or feel that it's not lengthy enough to warrant a full comment?

In the interest of not just being the guy yelling at a cloud, though, I have a small proposal that--hopefully--will sate the desire for people who want a comment-rating system without skirting that dreaded "shallow tribalism" mentality: we have a notification system here on MangaDex. What if we used that to issue a notification to the person whose comment is being reacted to privately, that way only they can see that a person has liked or disliked the post/comment? It doesn't move the comment up or down on the thread, it doesn't visibly tally how popular the post is, etc.; it merely says, "Hey, someone reacted to your thing, and we thought you'd wanna know." To prevent the recipient's notifications from being spammed, it only issues the one notification, but there's a nested link or tooltip that can allow the recipient to view how many of what kind of reaction their content got, and (optionally) who gave that reaction--similar to Discord's "reactions" where the hover tooltip shows that information (albeit in a truncated form past a certain threshold) or Twitter's "likes". This should satisfy the people who insist that they want to rate comments simply to throw support someone's way for a witty or insightful comment, while also satisfying the people who are afraid that that kind of public rating can encourage tribe behavior.

Just my two cents. Hopefully that didn't sound overly salty or harsh anyone's mellow.

(Edit: grammar and typos clean-up.)

That would settle the internal chaos that my mind goes through every time I read a really insightful comment and want say, hey I agree with you! Or I thought that too!
But then think... "@Sleeper +1" is like.... a really stupid comment... and just saying "yea, your right!" adds nothing to the conversation, so I edit the post for half an hour then delete it bc there is nothing left to say.....
what? I alone here? You only spend 5 sec on your posts!?
Well, I wouldn't mind private like tallies.

That said. Are we sure people don't make post they think will get the most reactions anyways?
Trying to word your post so it reaches and resounds with the largest audience seems like a natural thing to do. It's not like most comments add much to the conversation anyways. I think the real issue we are worried about is covered by Rule 5.2, which tells us to stay on topic and whatnot. While I don't think most users actually read the rules, I believe enough of them have to set this communities norm to something civil. Plus the staff edits now inform you when you do something wrong, in addition to letting other users know that this site is well moderated and has rules which are enforced (which may encourage them to at least once-over the rules).

@DANDAN_THE_DANDAN That's just what I remember couple years ago when I used to read there (I don't anymore) where I feel like people are just commenting to get to the top. That's just how I felt. If I'm wrong, well, my bad. 😎

@Sleeper What you mean to say is that there should be no visual indication whatsoever to other users if anyone reacted to a comment?

@firefish5000 You made a good point, actually; having the ability to validate someone's content (or disagree with it if the negative rating is also implemented) does have merit in satisfying that sense of camaraderie we all occasionally feel (or the opposite, again, in the case of a negative rating option) without having to feel like we're cluttering up a thread with simplistic or off-topic comments. I sometimes forget that, just because I don't immediately see the purpose or necessity in something doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Regarding people posting comments that are still aimed at seeking reactions, it's true that we can't really predict what users will do, and that trying to reach as many people as possible is natural. However, I think, in the specific case of "reaction-seeking" behavior, I'm--at least, currently--of the belief that, unless you're seeking discussion (i.e. actual posts, regardless of whether they agree or disagree), actively seeking something more base (for lack of a better word) like a reaction is done more for the sake of an imagined, publicly visible sense of clout or validation. "Look at how many reactions I have! Clearly I am witty and/or insightful", to put it in an overly-exaggerated manner. Having those reactions be privately visible only would be more of a, "Huh, someone felt something about what I said" response, and wouldn't necessarily--in theory--encourage people to make reaction-seeking posts, since there's nothing for them to show off. That could admittedly be a very cynical outlook, though.

@AfterMidnightMoon Yeah, that's basically what I was getting at: the person who posted the comment still gets acknowledgement of their content, the person who reacted still gets their satisfaction for weighing in, and no one outside of that transaction is any the wiser. My example above is sort of what I meant about the possible "showmanship" of having a publicly visible, visual indicator of a post's received reactions. I'm admittedly basing this perceived behavior off of sites/communities like reddit where memes quickly become the order of the day in search of those upvotes and reddit gold/silver, as well as a few other places I've witnessed on the internet like the various -chan boards, where posts will sometimes be made just for the chance that someone will come along and give you a virtual pat on the back. There's nothing wrong with the practice in and of itself, but when it starts to become the priority of the community in lieu of actual discussion or interaction, that's when it becomes a problem. Like Firefish stated, though, I don't actually feel like that would become a major issue on this site just because the community, in my experience thus far, has been founded with a sense of civility. People can still reply to comments with longer-form responses, but something quickly applicable and "quantifiable" such as a like or dislike, should probably be kept private just to prevent people posting solely for the sake of trying to amass them.

(Edit: italics and bold text added for style/emphasis.)

Users who are viewing this thread