Homeless Tensei: Isekai de Jiyuu Sugiru Jikyuu Jisoku Seikatsu

Here in north america most people who end up homeless do so because they're severely mentally ill and/or substance addicted and can't clean up well enough to collect welfare or live in a shelter. I wonder what the causes are like in Japan? Probably just mental illness, right?

Fed-Kun's army
If I could have been struck by lightning and wake up with nothing in a dungeon like the protagonist, I'd have gladly taken that opportunity when I was out on the street in the nineties.

You can also become homeless if you are living paycheck to paycheck, because car trouble or health issues keep sapping your meager savings, and something happens with your job, not limited to:
● Coworker falsely accuses you of a terminable offense due to a personal disagreement, or to lay blame for their own actions upon another
● Company is eliminating positions due to mismanagement or decline in industry
● Company goes under due to mismanagement or criminal activity
● Company moves an extreme distance, and you cannot afford to follow it
● Bad management (being fired because a supervisor claims they didn't know about your previously approved vacation request, or other reasons that appear on "F this job" compilations from Reddit and other sites' threads on the topic)
● Severe health issues
● Being fired for having health issues (good luck retaining a lawyer when you're barely able to keep your car fueled)
● (minor) Parents die, abandon you, or are imprisoned

If you don't have a support network of some sort, and don't have a skill (read: degree or certification) that's in immediate demand, you might lose everything before you can get another job. Even if you get another job, you tend not to be paid for between fifteen and twenty-eight days after starting. Try working a month with pocket change to keep you fed and healthy enough to keep from screwing up.
Being homeless is a pit that is extremely difficult to escape without outside assistance, and not everybody who is out on the street dug this pit for themselves.

@MisterXiado You live in the US... ^^ In europe, most of these dont make you fired or the coimpany will have his ass sued faster than the sspeed of the light.

Aggregator gang
@Ebithriga

Homelessness in North America has multiple causes. The type you're describing is called chronic homelessness, which is the most "visible" but it's hardly the only type.

For starter, high living costs and weak safety net creates a more transient homelessness that @MisterXiado describes. Some people get by surfing couches until they rebound, or go back to families. Those unable to rely on such safety nets can end up in a vicious spiral. America is a country that is extraordinarily good at punishing the poor. Everything from overdraft fees to payday lending to the legal system, and of course the medical system, can trip people up. Even the design of cities and the car reliance is a problem. The poorest Japanese has access to public transportation to get to work, or they can just walk. A poor person in the US whose car breaks down and can't go to work can just about get fucked.

Another type of homelessness is youth homelessness. This is an invisible homelessness; teenagers instinctively do *everything* in their power not to "look different," making them difficult to track. Sometimes it's as simple as parents disappearing one day (escaping debt or whatever), others are citizens but their parents aren't, and American immigration authorities don't give a shit if they break a few families along the way, when they deport people. Then there are kids who have been abused and choose to run away from home, or LGBTQ kids who are thrown out by homophobic parents (happens a lot -- LGBTQ kids make up a very significant percentage of youth homelessness).

So, bad shit.

What about Japan? Well, the country has significantly stronger safety net than the USA in parts, similar in parts, and surprisingly much weaker in parts. Youth homelessness can be very similar, especially given how weak Japanese child welfare authorities can be. It's an expensive country, so economic transients also happen -- sometimes uniquely with the phenomenon of permanent manga café clients. And then there are the "tent cities," which are your chronic homeless with mental and/or addiction issues, typically.

@Ebithriga Not really. I'm personally sure that only 50% of homeless get there on their own merits, but it's 80-90% that STAY homeless are cause of mental illness and a society unwilling to support them or just really bad life choices that never stop [Drug abusers usually]. But I'm also pretty sure that there is way too much homeless in the US that are there because of just plain bad luck events and being in society a that just assumes they're homeless cause they're drug abusers, mentally ill, or too lazy/stupid.

I deleted several stupid long rants about legit ways to get stuck in homelessness. They were all simple, but they end up looking like pages and chapters of text. Example: Like the California fires recently. A lot of stuff to explain why some people effected can get stuck in homelessness, but it's a long thing to type out and I legit don't know how they'd get out of it, just how they can get stuck in it.

Also most shelters are trash in that they don't police the people that stay correctly. Either the shelter management is abusive or they doesn't have the funds needed to pay for proper facilities and personnel to keep the trash level people in line. For these reasons a lot of shelters end up being hives of villainy and scum unfortunately. This is all first hand knowledge I've gotten from something like 30-40 different homeless people I've struck up conversations with over the years when I was using the Bus system here in the greater LA area. At least the non-crazy homeless ones. The freaky ones I avoided too.

Seeing how long this got, and that I already deleted a lot, you see what I meant about talking too much? SMH @ myself

Fed-Kun's army
Another problem with homelessness (at least in America) is that it's rather easy to pick up a litany of misdemeanors, or even felonies while just trying to stay alive. You're basically trespassing wherever you go, and say you happen to find a pistol that was discarded by a gang member/drug dealer or some other miscreant. You now have personal protection from those who might beat you to death for laughs, but if you get caught sleeping in the corner of an abandoned factory with that gun, you've now committed criminal trespassing with a weapon.
Depending on where you are, you might be able to get the aid of a shelter that will give you a (temporary) mailing address, and an in at a temp agency doing jobs that could net you enough to start to get back on your feet, but those aren't everywhere, and they don't advertise on billboards all over the place. Temp jobs aren't reliable or steady employment, either. Very few companies hire permanently from temp pools, no matter how well you might perform.
Best advice: don't burn any bridges with anyone who might be well enough off to help keep you from falling too far if you should stumble.

Ah, in my personal experience Temp Agencies have it written in the contract with the employer that they're not allowed to snipe the employee. At least the major ones.

Fed-Kun's army
Wow this comment section has been incredibly intellectual. Lots of knowledge being passed around in here. I never would have expected that from a manga.

Dex-chan lover
@grom Well I don’t know for most of them but in France If your health is not compatible with your job and if your employer cannot give you a compatible job you are fired, that’s the law.

Group Leader
@SirCuddlesschmidt

There's more to it than that. A lot of companies like using a Temp Agency basically as an Employment Agency, so they can get you to work for them but never have to worry about pesky things like "worker's rights" or "raises" or "benefits." If you're a temp forever, they don't have to worry about all that stuff.

Contributor
Yikes.
Actually , this one could be good...If it didn't have any videogame system like appraisal/stats/skills.

Sigh. Using videogame mechanics is really boring in a Story, it really don't work most of time.

I wish they rid of the video games interface. Just make it fantasy-isekai is enough.

Dex-chan lover
inb4 he starts cooking, master race nippon#1 food and his entire harem starts oozing from their pussy
*Cuz every isekai food is trash like the entire genre

Users who are viewing this thread