Argate Online

Group Leader
Even a middle schooler would know how a water pump works
This makes me sound hella spoiled/entitled, or maybe it's because of my shitty education, but before this I didn't know how a water pump worked.

Fed-Kun's army
@JustNatsuki, no kidding, the isekai heroes always seem to remember all of this technical stuff by heart, and even know how to draw (!) proper blueprints - amongst their myriad other talents. (While usually being 'normal' high school students.) This ones supposedly knows the operating mechanisms behind freezers too, as well as how to work with gases, and electricity. :| Mister "I'm not an inventor".

Aggregator gang
@JustNatsuki Well in a lot of these isekai water pumps are "invented" and they explain the process of how it works, so even if you didn't know how it works an isekai will teach you. Besides, I'm sure there are a few other people who didn't know how they worked before reading this.

I don't get it. Was the hawk squad basically saying "Sorry, kid. We couldn't help cuz we were too busy staring at this other more powerful monster instead, without really doing anything."?

Aggregator gang
@Final they are conserving energy and MP. The thought they need every energy and mp just to fight the boss. Unlike classical rpg , this have no save/recover point before the boss area.

Even if it wasn't for that "Unique", they wouldn't move a finger, if they get involved with the traffic dealers their reputation would fall and no one would hire them.

I get where they are coming from, unfortunately the country where they are don't have a decent law against that neither one in case they would save and free the elves.

Double-page supporter
Clarification, what I am about to talk about is NOT American slavery, but the slavery that came before, which wasn't purely race based.

The thing I don't understand is why people freak out over the introduction (or, rather, preexistence) of slavery in these medieval (or even premedieval) civilizations. What are they supposed to do with their criminals, their debtors, their orphans, etc? Let them die? They don't have enough food or security (of life) to put them in jail or prison, letting them go would not solve the crime issue (and would kikl thr orphans anyway). What other choice do they have? (Although, I won't argue that sometimes death is the better option, but sometimes it isn't).

Slavery is wrong, obviously, but the American prison system (and certainly the death penalty) has also (quite often) been argued to be wrong. Locking someone up in a box big enough to hold a bed, a toilet and a desk (if you're lucky), with no possible way to leave (early, I am referring to rehabilitation methods), around other people who are just as likely to kill you as interact with you (if they think they can get away with it). How is this better than working your debt off through hard (if forced) labor... Which we actually have the technology to do at this point.

No. What those traffickers were doing is horrible as it is stated (suggested) that the elves were captured, rather than being punished. But the society that doesn't work to resolve it - due to fear of irrational prosecution - is worse for literally ignoring the crime and those asking for help. Hell, kill the traffickers and release the captured people. If they were judged and found guilty, then sentenced those transporting them shouldn't have to hide it.
(B.t.w. I am not going to comment on the judicial system, I don't think we have a stable enough system for me to go onto that here.)

There is one Isekai that I think did penal labor well. I cannot remember the name of it, but the people housing and leasing (as it was more a leasing system than a selling system, unless the individual agrees to the transfer of responsibility) were actually responsible for the health and welfare of the individuals they held. These individuals still had a debt and were therefore not free, but they were protected.
Problem is, no real world would adopt that system without abundance of food, land and resources... Which is decidedly NOT any Isekai world...

slavery itself isn't bad or evil IMO, it's simply another way of life for some. what is bad/evil is the way in which it is abused and thus the people themselves are abused.

---

anyways, the unique monsters looks interesting, how fun would it be to fight some of them?? :3

Double-page supporter
DaoFox, you said it far better than I did in less words, but since I am fairly sure that some (apologies) ignorant people won't understand allow me to apply some enlightenment.
This, again, has nothing to do with "American slavery" (also known as Brittish et al slavery but was abolished by all of them before America).

Slavery still exists in this world in legal forms. Obviously I am not referring to 'so called' "third world nations" but those thought of as (mostly) civilized.
When you work and earn just barely enough to support yourself (food, clothing, shelter, etc), is that not effectively slavery? (Wage slave, better definition, but not enough time).
When your so called employer only wwnts to pay you in a form of currency usable at locations they own, and live in places they manage or (more recently) have health insurance that is only usable at their locations, is that not ownership?
When your employer is trying to change laws about how much they can work you (and for how little), or how much is considered a break, or what you can do on those breaks (look into recent news, in America, in corporations owned in America), are those not wage slaves?
When sexual, emotional and even physical abuse (sexual abuse can often be physical) goes unreported, or if it is its ignored, or there is no mechanism TO report it...
When getting a fair trial requires you to already be dead...

I could go on.
Again. Slavery, as committed within the past five hundred (give or take a century) is evil. But it is evil specifically because of the abuses that were preformed and that it was targeted. Remove the abuse, remove the racism, add some minor monitary compensation... I think you will still find that here in America.

(P.S. if I haven't made this abundantly bloody clear, I am not even remotely attempting to rationalize African American slavery. That was, and shak always be, evil. I am pointing out aspects of more ancient and less race based forms of slavery: you committed a crime; we won the war; you can't pay your debts, etc. Still not "good" but not ownership of "property" that "isn't human" because of the color of their skin, or their origin.)
(added tag to shorten visual size)

FOUND IT.... The manga is: https://mangadex.org/manga/22785/seichou-cheat-de-nandemo-dekiru-you-ni-natta-ga-mushoku-dake-wa-yamerarenai-you-desu/comments/
Not even allowed to go into a dungeon without her explicit permission... (Read previous post and/or hidden text to understand.

@Zael Just started watching that TED talk with Japanese subs and right off the bat...
"There are millions of slaves in the world today"-> 今日世界には多くの奴隷が存在する (There exist many slaves in today's world.)
... ugh... Does this count as distorting the original message?

Fed-Kun's army
I'd say so. Japanese are sneaky that way. What with their schoolbooks too...

Double-page supporter
@Zael There's a fun episode of Rick and Morty about society and how it's simply another form of slavery.

Gives his party a bunch of buffs then proceeds to kill everything himself.
Ok.

Double-page supporter
"Dance of the Snowflakes" I hope the author knows the other meaning of that term lol

Users who are viewing this thread