Planetes - Vol. 1 Ch. 1

If this is the first time you've read this Manga, I want to encourage you to the end. This is my favorite Manga. It kept me interested in science, and was one of the inspirations for me to keep going. Not just the sciency parts, but also the character exploration and development. You will not be sorry.

Great Art. Terrible Science.

One can't simply kick something in orbit "down" with just a kick and see the object burn up 2 panels later.

Doing so will more than likely change that empty tank into a slightly more elliptical orbit. It still going to take years before the atmospheric drag took over.

A deorbiting burn = reverse thrust. He's better off kicking it in the opposite direction of travel. Unless he's Superman, the change in delta-v from 1 brief kick will not going to turn it into a suborbital object anyways.

Keep in mind that even the manga mentioned 8km/s. That's 8,000 meters per second. How fast can a person kick in free fall? Let's just say like 80km/hr? That come out to about 20m/s. The impact of a kick only last a fraction of a second. The object will simply ended up orbiting a few meters lower.

Thanks for reading this. 😆😆😆

Users who are viewing this thread