Anaesthesiologist Hana

Dex-chan lover
Yea those surgeons are basically malpractice lawsuits waiting to happen

Nope. Anesthesiologist is a dream job in the medical field. No interaction with the patients besides the evaluation before operating. Patient stops being your problem once he wakes up and any unexpected issues during the procedure can be blamed to a poor anamnesis from the surgeon. The thing about being a female doctor has more to do with Japan having archaic notions of hierarchy plaguing medical staff than with being an anesthesiologist.
I guess it has a lot to do with the working environment. Anesthesiologists have the highest suicide rates out of all medical fields after all. Also with why you entered med school for. I've seen many peers happily embrace anesthesiology due to how they find dealing with patients stressing and unrewarding.

Dex-chan lover
Reminds me a bit about the recent medical school sexism scandal (they just graded female applicants worse so they wouldn't get in). Much fun as Japan can be, sometimes it's also just a really shitty country (well, not that these things don't happen elsewhere too).

For a country at its level of development Japan has an exceptionally sexist society. It probably has a lot to do with the population trending old and conservative.

I'm glad this manga has the guts to actually depict stuff like this instead of trying to sweep it under the rug like they do with so many other problems.

Dex-chan lover
@Exiled

I mean if the mangaka wants to make a point, maybe he shouldnt draw an anatomically impossible female body in an Ecchi scene, just two pages after depicting sexual harassment.
Seems kinda hypocritical, lol.

@Exiled It's scary to do so, especially after all the rumors of malpractice inflicted upon Team Medical Dragon's author that lead to his death.

@Isekaijin Huh? I was talking about the depiction of workplace sexual harassment. I don't know anything about Team Medical Dragon, but according to JA wikipedia the author died of liver cancer...

Dex-chan lover
@Isekaijin

That does sound scary. Anything in particular you can refer me to, or is it just general rumors?

@Exiled

Yeah uh....... you probably shouldn't judge Japenese society based on this manga. This stuff happens a lot in pretty much everywhere. If people can hide it privately or camouflage what they're doing
Like that Jackass who felt up her butt
, there will always be scumbags who try.

There's never a year where some Harvey Weinstein or creep like Gay Rapist Bryan Singer (Yes the Movie director and Producter) is publicly exposed as a creep.

And no, Women are not exempt. Asia Argento who started the MeTOO movement was a hypocrite who raped a young male actor. YES, a women who was a leader in an anti-rape movement was revealed to have raped men. . . . . . .

Dex-chan lover
@crazybars

....yes.... I can.... see that.... however, I'm interested in what the user said about the rumors of malpractice.

@crazybars I'm not judging based on the manga. I'm judging based on the numerous reports about institutional sexism there.

http://time.com/5374353/japan-sexism-me-too/
https://www.hrw.org/news/2018/07/29/japans-not-so-secret-shame

In America and most of the Western world, this kind of thing is treated as exceptional, as something that shouldn't happen. In Japan it's normalized, and the people who try to speak up about it face major backlash.

@Exiled

I understand what you mean, but most Western countries don't have the Yakuza running all sorts of sex slavery and crime networks in their country. The sexism that is apparent in Japan has much to do with the for profit nature of the Yakuza in exploiting sex crimes.

It's not so much normalized sexism, so much as the Yakuza have terrifying political power in Japan and they have essentially normalized prostitution and the sexual selling of both Women, Men and disgustingly CHILDREN.

God, so many problems in Japan stem from the Yakuza getting too much power after World War 2.

----------------------------------------

This video explains a lot of why the Yakuza are so powerful and influential , the sexual crimes parts are at 9:53 and 12:17 respectively

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDb1A95gQmY

Dex-chan lover
I mean... It doesn't make me want to read it when you put it like that, ya know?

@ horsewithnoname
It is harsh. To be a doctor you either need to enjoy the human contact as negative as it may be, to enjoy the authority it gives or, albeit more wickedly, you need to like to brag... a lot. If you don't fulfill any of those conditions, then the profession just consumes you and you either become apathetic or burned out with stress. It depends on what you're specialized into, but the stressful ones have their share of suicides every year. Anesthesiologists are high up there on the list because of how easy it's for them to procure...painless ways to pass on. Also it's quite up there in drug addiction rates among physicians .

@ ghostkun
Widely known rumor back in the day. Supposedly the author was being held in palliative care in an university hospital, and he was known for being outspoken about Japan's healthcare system besides the manga. Supposedly he was denied pain medication under flimsy reasoning. Covered under wraps in the end.

Crappy pay? I think that it's one of the best payed medical specialization, at least here in Italy. You have big responsabilities, though.

Users who are viewing this thread