April Fool's Collection 2019 - Ch. 99 - Magical Trans! (c 99)

Group Leader
@bladestorm91 I could've uploaded to MangaDex later, but... oh wait, I mean, I could've uploaded to MangaCat later, but, you know, stuff.

(also: it's a real translation, no trolling involved, so it will just be renamed to "Twitter 'Your Name' Special" or sth later. Just enjoy your free content :) )

Dex-chan lover
@Gabcro03
Actually, for the majority of the world, it's already April 1.

https://xkcd.com/2092/
The biggest jump is at 11:00am EST (4:00pm UTC) when midnight reaches the UTC+8 time zone. That time zone, which includes China, is home to a quarter of the world's population. India and Sri Lanka (UTC+5:30) put us over the 50% mark soon after.

Dex-chan lover
@mommunism
You are making a dangerous lot of assumptions with that comment.

Assumptions like: we've got little to no visitors from Australia, New Zealand, or India.
Or like: People who aren't native speakers can't possibly know English.

Remember kids:
1. Not everyone on the Internet is American.
2. The English tongue isn't exclusive to the USA.

Fed-Kun's army
@Nolonar The English tongue is exclusive to...... English of course

Okay... Umm... I'll just see myself out

Fed-Kun's army
@Nolonar Ignoring the fact that under no circumstances would any assumptions you ironically wrongly assumed I was making be "dangerous," you very obviously have no idea what you're talking about. The US alone has more than ten times the population of Australia and NZ combined. The English-speaking population of India that actually consumes manga is negligible as well, even if it's a decent proportion. You're also telling me not to ignore these tiny populations while you ignore all of Europe and Canada and pretend I could only possibly be talking about the US. I cannot imagine lacking as much self-awareness as you do.

Dex-chan lover
@mommunism
Disclaimer: For brevity's sake, I will say "population" and mean "English-speaking population", unless stated otherwise.

Ignoring the fact that under no circumstances would any assumptions you ironically wrongly assumed I was making be "dangerous,"
Depends on your definition of "dangerous".
If you don't think denying the existence of half of the Earth's population is "dangerous", that's your problem, not mine.

you very obviously have no idea what you're talking about.
We must have different definitions of "obvious", then. See below.

The US alone has more than ten times the population of Australia and NZ combined.
... which is less than a third of the entire Earth's population. Source
Even with Canada, that's barely more than 35.3% of the world's population.

Unfortunately, since Wolfram Alpha's ranking only includes native speaking countries, (and I'm too lazy to figure it out in detail) I'm guessing the total population on the entire American continent won't surpass 40%. Feel free to make a more accurate estimate: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_English-speaking_population

When you wrote your comment, it was 22:44:41 UTC (according to Mangadex timestamp), which means it was already April for over 80% of people (all languages) worldwide (see xkcd in earlier post).
Assuming 40% for America as a whole, and adding the UK to the mix that's still around 47.3% of the world's population who hadn't April yet. Together with all the remaining countries that hadn't had April by then, I'm guessing we're roughly approaching the 50%.

India, Pakistan, Nigeria, and the Philippines alone already account for over 41% of the world's population (that's using 17 Millions instead of 81 Millions for Pakistan). Those are countries that already had April.

So to borrow your own words: "you very obviously have no idea what you're talking about."
Unless you can provide actual statistics for worldwide manga-consumption, that is.

The English-speaking population of India that actually consumes manga is negligible as well
And now you are comparing the entirety of the world's population to a very specific subset of India's. That's an utterly worthless comparison.
Besides, without any statistical evidence backing your claims, not only does your argument not hold, you also still have "no idea what you're talking about."

If you based your claim on the belief that India has a high poverty rate and low living standard (regardless of whether that's true or not): considering English is spoken by a bit more than 12% of the entire Indian population and "is used extensively in business and administration", I'd say there's a high probability that an English-speaking Indian would easily have access to manga, especially here on MangaDex.

You're also telling me not to ignore these tiny populations while you ignore all of Europe and Canada and pretend I could only possibly be talking about the US.
Ignoring the fact that I was merely listing some of the more obvious examples (did you seriously expect me to list all of the world's countries?), I'd say it's you who was ignoring all these tiny populations when you claimed that half of the world's population isn't "almost any of the people reading this".

But I'll admit I actually did presume, that such a condescending and ignorant comment could only have originated from the US.
I didn't think an English person could possibly be whining about a little over an hour, while being completely oblivious to the rest of Europe. Nor did I expect a Canadian to be this ignorant of the rest of the world. As for why I didn't include any of the remaining countries: that's because I cannot imagine anyone living in a country whose main language isn't English would presume English-speakers didn't exist elsewhere in the world. But maybe I was wrong about that as well.

Even now, I still think you could only possibly have been talking about the US, and for that I apologize. Old habits die hard, I suppose. Proving me wrong would certainly help.

I cannot imagine lacking as much self-awareness as you do.
I'd much rather lack self-awareness, than lack awareness of my surroundings.
In fact, I think lacking self-awareness is generally more favorable than lacking awareness in general.

But to each his own.

Fed-Kun's army
I'm not even going to bother reading the rest of your comment after skimming the first half. You made it pretty obvious that you're just a disingenuous shitter when you said I'm denying that half the Earth's pop doesn't exist (and yes, I mean with the disclaimer). I'll reply to what I got to, but this is my last comment.

First of all, it doesn't matter when I wrote my comment, because the topic was about the time that the chapter was posted. Furthermore, the US has the majority of the entire world's native English speakers and including the UK alone (ignoring Canada and other European countries) makes that majority quite vast (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English-speaking_world, look at the pie chart on the right). People are generally more comfortable consuming entertainment in their mother tongue and western countries are also far more likely to be on the internet, both due to their infrastructure and the fact that it was created and is centralized in the US. India specifically is also very culturally conservative, which makes manga, especially like this, harder to get into. There is no argument whatsoever to be had on your side.

Dex-chan lover
@mommunism
it doesn't matter when I wrote my comment
Your comment didn't even matter in the first place.

The scanlators had April. They decided to upload an April Fools joke. They don't need your approval to do so.
They're neither your slaves nor bitches.

People are generally more comfortable consuming entertainment in their mother tongue
While that is true, manga doesn't get translated in all languages.
The reasons being:
1. Not every language has a large enough population to justify translating just for that language.
2. English is being taught as a foreign language in the majority of countries, and English translations already exist.

People generally like to take the path of least resistance. If they've already learned the language, and a translation exists, why bother translating?
As a result, a lot of non-natives come to sites like these to read.

You made it pretty obvious that you're just a disingenuous shitter when you said I'm denying that half the Earth's pop doesn't exist
And yet here you are, using "native speakers" as an excuse to pretend they don't exist (on this site at least).

@Nolonar You're the one who picked a pointless argument with another person and now you're whining when said person answers you? The pettiness here is uncanny.

Besides, I doubt US, Canada and whatnot have more readers than Asia+ maybe half of Europe (assuming timezone argument) simply because:

higher population (even if 1% of their English speaking population read manga it would still be higher than 5% of the US/Mexico/Canada etc, assuming that's the percentage number who read manga)
or alternatively
Reading manga is more mainstream in SEA countries than the west simply because of proximity, lack of negative attitude and the lack of copyright laws.

People are generally more comfortable consuming entertainment in their mother tongue and western countries are also far more likely to be on the internet, both due to their infrastructure and the fact that it was created and is centralized in the US. India specifically is also very culturally conservative, which makes manga, especially like this, harder to get into. There is no argument whatsoever to be had on your side.

This just screams ignorance and false conclusions to me. "Preferring to consume entertainment in their mother tongue" does not apply to manga if only due to the lack of translated languages.

India's lack of attention to foreign media isn't because of "cultural conservatism" but because of lack of low cost service, which has been changing during this decade. They've even surpassed US in internet users. It's a simple statistic that you can look up quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread