Would you kindly explain this abstract art?

Dex-chan lover
Thread to ask the more artistic minded what do these abstract art actually mean?

A challenge to stumped the artists/ A challenge to stomp the chomps who can't appreciate abstract art.

Eg. Can someone explain the red square?

redsquare-18.jpg

Dex-chan lover
More often than not, trying to assign "meaning" to abstract art is something only liberal arts majors, pseudo-intellectuals and organized criminals trying to launder money care about. It's really more of a matter of aesthetics and technique, bordering on graphic design.

Dex-chan lover
Wasn't three a story about a painting examiner who graded a piece of art to be a masterpiece but it looked like a monkey throwing random paint on the canvas - because it's actually a monkey throwing random paint on the canvas? It was supposed to be a test to see wether the examiners really do know their stuffs and apparently some of them don't.

Fed-Kun's army
The square is not a square, but a visual representation of a parallelepiped inverted and smushed into a 2d plane... which happens to conveniently explain the color of the object. Poor parallelepiped... :3

Dex-chan lover
This is too deep for me. Maybe the point is that it’s a red square and we’re assigning too much value into the picture.

Or the artist just likes the color red. Otherwise it’s up to the artist to tell us it’s interpretation.

Contributor
Don't know, don't care, and unless the artist says something, I'll never know. What I can say, while there's definite bullshit in abstract art, the underlying concept is misunderstood and good abstract art requires skill. Take, for instance, Piet Mondrian, he's the guy who did the paintings that look a little something like this.
473px-Piet_Mondriaan%2C_1930_-_Mondrian_Composition_II_in_Red%2C_Blue%2C_and_Yellow.jpg

A pre-schooler with a ruler and some paint could that, right? Not quite. If you look at his older work, it's a little more respectable.
541px-17_sep_13_mondrian_castle.jpg

With the second painting, Mondrian obviously has an understanding of color and composition. While the first painting isn't representational, the colors are appealing and the spacing between them isn't overwhelming. An amateur can copy it with ease, but they wouldn't be able to come up with the concept because it uses the skills Mondrian learned from landscape painting.

Contributor
@bluxaroo
>"Don't know, don't care, and unless the artist says something, I'll never know. What I can say, while there's definite bullshit in abstract art, the underlying concept is misunderstood and good abstract art requires skill. Take, for instance, Piet Mondrian, he's the guy who did the paintings that look a little something like this."

ding ding. What people don't realize is that the best abstract artists have excellent example of skill, a finely honed sense of composition, and a well developed understanding of the workings of color.

To add on, a vast majority of abstract art isn't trying to actually have some deeper meaning in a red square, most of it is about the base impact the piece first hits you with imo. Most people look at these through their computer monitor, where you cant see the brush strokes, texture, size, matte, etc. The base pic in op is a great example, its complete bullshit to judge that on that pixelated ass image.

For the meaning of it, its varied. Some of it is meta commentary, some actual commentary, some a comment on the process itself, etc. Its not meant to have an obvious meaning, thats the point. Trying to attribute it all to being "bullshit" is what actual idiots who use "liberal arts" as an insult, aka people who study philosophy, mathematics, social science, communication, cause apparently none of those are useful in the modern days discourse where people emotions, development, and opinions are something that decided the well being of literally everyone.

I bet this fucking idiot has strong political opinions, something that is completely based in philosophy, but still says this bullshit cause it has the word liberal in it.

He proclaimed in 1914: Art is higher than reality and has no direct relation to reality. To approach the spiritual in art, one will make as little use as possible of reality, because reality is opposed to the spiritual. We find ourselves in the presence of an abstract art. Art should be above reality, otherwise it would have no value for man.[5] His art, HOWEVER, always remained rooted in nature.
a new thingy here:
330px-Piet_Mondriaan_Victory_Boogie_Woogie.jpg

quoted from wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piet_Mondrian

@teddy i dont know anything about art but the square feels like its sad and lonely and just wants a friend. the white looks like its choking out the red square

Dex-chan lover
@Jesusdeath14

Feels bad that I didn't reply but actually like that comment the most.

@pipson2

Don't know why but makes me think of bird's eye view on traffic jams in a Tim Burton movie

Dex-chan lover
One thing about abstract art is that you have to know a lot of art history to "get it" since so much of it is metacommentary. After the invention of the camera, a lot of painters kinda lost their minds. Representational imagery became something that could be created almost instantaneously by a machine...think of how automation is going to replace lots of jobs today. So instead of just creating straightforward works they began creating works that were representative of concepts, questions like: "What is art?" and specific concepts within art like pattern, composition and color.

Dex-chan lover
The red square looks kinda wrong.. like the right side is a bit higher.
So maybe the art try to say "Inbalance within sociey"

What? How do I get to that conclusion?
I just imagine the white square as society and the red one as a person or an individual if you will.

How come I'm here reviving this thread?
Well.. this section...
enDISv6.jpg

...looks kinda empty, so I just thought leaving a comment here might make the latest thread it should display re-appear.

they were just trying to remind you about something that they've seen
show you where they stored that file
shown you a pathway that only they knew
|
|make a connection that no one else could)
(sonething to probe hthat you were alive for just one seocnd)

Users who are viewing this thread