Gaming rants/news (Mega Thread?)

Dex-chan lover
Just trying to resuscitate some boards.

So here is:

What are the worst gaming moments, worst gaming company business moves, worst games or otherwise new news about upcoming games. Or just fun facts you remember from previous games?

I know these types of news rants has been done multiple times on other more gaming centric sites, but I'm sure with how screwed up AAA Developers and Publishers, thats there loads to go around.

Fed-Kun's army
Does spending money in gacha game just to get useless craps included?

Dex-chan lover
Yup and I'll add paying for gacha on a full priced AAA singleplayer game just to get useless crap.

There's not much being posted because there's not a whole lotta good news.

It just gets tiring.

========= Big picture

A lot of the good games are being "Bought out" onto the Epic store launcher.

The launcher that wastes tons of resources to track everything and is backed by Tencent. Since Tencent is essentially owned by the Communist Government of China by proxy, that means they're bribing companies to force you to use Chinese Government Sponsored. Spyware.

Excuse me....... one year of advanced game play is not worth installing Communist Spyware on my computer!!!

----------------------- Not Fun

Battlefield 5 was basically "let's revise history so children and Black Colonial troops were Elite troops who slaughtered Germans by the hundreds and won World War 2. And apparently Robotic limbs were a thing in World War 2, and Katana using British soldiers" Oh yes, just like HISTORY!!!! (Btw. . . . it tanked in sales compared to Battlefield 1, Cod etc.)

Then there's Anthem, a game full of grind and nothing else. That one also Tanked in sales.
*Edit: And . . . . . apparently Kotaku has an article on why Anthem sucked so bad. Turns out there was a lot of faking trailer and Bioware destroyed itself making that game and Andromeda.

Followed by Call of Duty Blackout Pay to Win edition. Just a boring grind game.

Fallout 76 showed us how Zenimax Media is a cancer growing within Bethesda.

*Edited for Anthem Kotaku Aricle. I don't want to bump the thread for redundancy though. -----Dated 4/4/19

This isn't necessarily a "worst gaming moment" as much as it is a personal gripe, but the fact that your Sparrow (read: fancy hover-motorcycle) is so much more heavily restricted in Destiny 2 as opposed to the original. Full disclosure before anything else: while I don't actively dislike Destiny as a series, it was never really my cup of tea. The gunplay felt good, and the Light abilities were pretty interesting, but ultimately, I just wasn't super into it--both games were purchased at the behest of friends who wanted to play together. Warframe ended up being closer to what I was hoping for, in the end, but that's neither here nor there.

In the original Destiny, your Sparrow had very few limitations--if it could fit within the space you were summoning it, and you weren't in a dark zone, you could summon it and go on with your business. Not so in Destiny 2, despite the dramatically increased map sizes (which, being completely honest, I don't fully believe were actually bigger, but more on that in a second). There are a lot of places in Destiny 2 where the game just arbitrarily decides, "Nope, this is a no-Sparrow zone. Happy hiking!" In addition to that, this doesn't change on repeat playthroughs; despite having experienced the plot in full, at the pace Bungie expected you to experience it, you're not given the luxury of being able to speed between objectives on subsequent runs, making "grinding" (for as much grinding as you can do in that game) feel like even more of a slog. The DLC fares no better, with many of the DLC locations locking access to your Sparrow for the entirety of your time there. This is what leads me to believe the maps aren't actually that much bigger than that of the original Destiny--they just feel bigger because you're forced to traverse them the slow way.

The reason I say I don't fully believe Bungie's hype about the expanded map sizes is because some maps are, very obviously, bigger than what you would encounter in the original Destiny...though not by as much as the hype would lead you to believe. With some of the DLC locations, this is especially egregious because, had you access to your Sparrow, you would very quickly realize the overall space you're traversing isn't that big, and is only made to feel that way due to how you're made to interact with the environment on foot.

The length of this post makes it sound like this all is a bigger deal to me than it really was, or should have been. And a lot of that is, admittedly, just sour grapes from someone who already wasn't that into the game to start with. But the other reason such a seemingly minor thing bugged me is because I'm a big proponent of letting players experience a game at their own pace. Personally, I love lore, I love flavor text, I love exploring, I love a good story--if the game puts it in front of me, and I find it even a little interesting, I'll gladly interact with whatever content it throws my way. But if I've already seen that content before, or if I have no interest in what content is being presented with me, I feel that I shouldn't be forced to engage with that content any more than is strictly necessary. And this doesn't go just for me, but for all players--a game should not demand that it be experienced solely on its own terms. Had you asked a younger, teenaged me what I thought about that, he'd have readily said that I'm just an impatient baby who doesn't respect the vision of the creators, etc etc. But an older me, whose time to play games is already at a premium, feels rather differently.

As a final argument about the pacing (because this already ran on WAY longer, and gotten FAR more wordy than I intended for it to): similar to the Sparrow argument, having to do the "wounded" walk through the opening, even though I already have two other cleared characters on file, was another minor but memorable irritation of that game. I already experienced the "drama" and "intensity", Bungie--let me sprint out of your damn tutorial sequence!

Dex-chan lover
I'm one of those people that still plays bf2, no not Starwars Battlefront 2 "the Microstransactions strikes back" (still play the original Battlefront 2 from time to time) but Battlefield 2 from 2004.

Its just so fun and theres still a very live community still modding bf2 in 2019. EA even had to shut down a free multiplayer server provider (along with battlefield heroes and etc). The mods are so good that the although the game is 2004 graphics are probs current A to AA game level and you have suppression systems as well as passive hp recovery as well as score tracking similar to modern battlefield games

But the problem is the last official patch ever released screwed up parts of the game so you could no longer ask the Ai commander for support.

Back then you could have singleplayer skirmishes with Ai and mods so you can add new weapons or change weapon specs to your liking but now you can't do anything like that. so everytime they announced a new bf game I just get reminded of how fun the new battlefield games with bots and mods would be.

How good do you think games would be if companies didn't spend more on advertising than they spend making the game?
Now try to imagine if those companies didn't have to maximize profits for their investors and could take their time to make an amazing game and not sell half the content later as paid updates, oops I mean DLC. How did we go from Kingdom Hearts 1, to KH 2, to the garbage known as KH 3. I say garbage because since KH 2 exists, we have something to compare KH 3 to instead of being ignorant (not that KH 2 existing will stop fanboys and omega brains from being ignorant). Though I could probably use a different example since KH 3 was only made to advertise some disney crap and probably given less effort than usual.
Where did everything go so wrong?

Dex-chan lover
The fact that free to play games may cease to exist because AAA studios having lootboxing in full price paid games to fund executive salaries but at the same time firing employees.

Dex-chan lover
I wish there was less RNG involved in almost everything. Or a better way to manipulate it.

Dex-chan lover
Am I the only one who gets pissed off when you're at the top of the scoreboard? I consider myself average lvl so when I see myself at the top I just feel like my team sucks for some reason.

Dex-chan lover
Games being released early with a lot of bugs and/or incomplete storyline (yes I'm totally still looking at you FF15) simply because of the deadline. Yes I get it, deadline needs to be made, people get angry when a game is released later than the promised time, but in a lot of cases, it's literally just the board of director being "You need to release the game by this -date- so we can fill the quota and boost revenue for this quarter. Do overtime, release shitty games, we don't care, you just need to get the game out. Oh and it doesn't meet the profit line because the game is buggy and incomplete? Abandon it, cancel the plans and all DLCs"

I dont know much on the topic itself, but i believe that the investors and management of the companies are mainly responsible for this giant change in the industry.

i dont believe the actual developers endorse many of the decisions made by the management. it has kind of gotten to a point where i begin to give out shades of black or white depending on their recent actions. i bet you could yourself point out a few black ones and a few white ones. prime examples (of what i know) would be CD Projekt Red, white. EA, black.

You can probably see what i used as a reference.

Dex-chan lover
So i've been running into these types of people a lot lately but what's the deal with people joining a game only to just run around the edge of the map? I just don't see the logic in getting in a game if you're not gonna play.

Dex-chan lover
Don't screw it up, publishers! You will never have another chance to have such a large population of consumers. Have good conduct and make good games and the publicity will resound for the next few years

Contributor
It's ancient news by now (2011), but CAPCOM and the whole Megaman Legends 3 debacle.
An anticipated sequel to a longstanding cliffhanger in a storied franchise, there was a mostly finished prototype/demo that never saw a public release.
The worst part (besides the cancellation itself) was when the European branch actually blamed the fans for not being involved enough.

large.jpg

I was a hardcore MMORPG Player . I played the invitational Ragnarok Online until it's current rise and fall in Indonesia . And until recently i was playing Tree of Savior . I like both , but like all MMO , at some point End-Game become more-and-more Grind + RNG-based .

In Ragnarok i am unaffiliated Geneticist , that produce in game Potions , Food Buff , and a Boss-Killer . I made real pocket money from the demand of Guild War that splurge all those i produce . Currently in order to finish hourly instance + weekly instance i need to clear it under 1 hour since i am working , then brewing + cooking can be macro'ed . I need another hour to buy supply myself and materials from other player .

Here's where it goes wrong , with free in-game-only item it is impossible to clear the hourly instance + weekly instance under 1 hour . While sure you can go from the total newb to 1st and 2nd aura under 1 hour with 1 super tome and premium which is reasonably priced . But the current end-game you need to have cash-shop item else it is impossible to do even the latest instance easy-mode . And you need to refine it to High Pass Upgrade (Safe Upgrade 0~5 , High Upgrade 6~9 , Overupgrade 10~13 , High Pass Upgrade 14~20) . That is a 0.0001% chance from 12 to 14 . So you need another cash shop item , but it is RNG-based , only 2% chance to get what do you want , and is extremely overpriced . Then each 6 month they update the gear making the hard-earned gear with extreme grinding and Luck in RNG + real money wasted obsolete . Then there is jRO gear , this is sold as a gacha-box , with fairly high chance of good item but overpriced . But since jRO gear coming people keep that gacha-only resource to themselves since they locked the ownership of the item to the character . So i quit , since i am free2play player , i bought the necessity via zeny only . I waste 0 cents for this game and glad to do so .

Then ToS , this currently is using the true free2play model . They also give the newb chance to caught up and the RNG isn't as bad . They went even further to splurge toned-down Premium item into event-only item making the game worthy to play . But i can't generate any revenue from this game since there is no meaningful ways to do that . In game currency is reasonably easy to farm , end-game grind isn't to bad to reach Skiaclipse Varna with Ataka Set within 1~2 month . Attribute point is easy to gather via dailies , daily instance is fairly easy , and fully proper-gearing 1 single character takes no less than 1 month which is reasonably fast . But after the territorial war update , some guild do not want to share the access to certain content and they are privileged to do so . And at some point you need to wrestle the right to access from the reigning guild . And i am a pacifistic filthy casual player , i vowed to not do any GvG content since it is always full of toxicity . Thus i can't have access to that content unless i take back my stance or buy it from the other player in that guild . And that's what made me rage quit .

Oh the ToS's gacha is purely cosmetics , and some only add like 200~500 atk which can be ignored since legend-tier is extremely easy to craft , and the Legend-set from the gacha isn't any different from crafting it manually . But since it is fairly common roll , it took less time to get you to end game gear . I recommend you to try it .

TL;DR :
1. in RO the current gacha roll can't be transferred to other player thus preventing free2play player to obtain it . ever . I mean it's f**king necessities . you need the gear to clear the content . and some of the transferable one isn't going to cut it .
2. in ToS there's a need to do GvG , i don't do GvG content i hated GvG with every fiber of my cell . I just can't do GvG , unless there's no toxicity there . And it created division between privileged guild and non-privileged guild . Meh maybe im just a ChoosingBeggar since essentially ToS is currently adopting true Free2Play model .

Dex-chan lover
Gents after what seems like a fucking eternity Bannerlord has finally been released.

Users who are viewing this thread