Your Highness, Don't Leave! I Will Lose Weight for You!

I really detest the fat shaming in these Webcomics. A person CAN be attractive and beautiful if they're bigger, 'fat', or thin AF. Beauty is the glow of self-confidence and living your truth.

Wish the message of this webcomic was more positive.

The funny thing with historical stories like this is, people do realise that fat plump women were considered the majority of attractiveness back then right?

Due to the shortcomings of the age, food was scarce and diseases were rife. A chubby woman showed wealth, to afford food, and health, to not waste away from illness.

Honestly, the protagonist is so cute, I just wish the story was less focused on making fun of her weight at every turn. 😞 The story could have been fun and interesting with a different looking protagonist, but instead, it feels like it's putting down your mood by indirectly telling the reader they have to lose weight.

What @LazyDays says is true, the discrimination against plus-sized people is a very recent trend. It used to be seen as a symbol of wealth to be overweight.

@LazyDays indeed, it was. But being plump was by no means being morbidly obese. Humans instinctively repudiate what is seen as abnormal/ failure (incest and excessive thinness, for example) for the species, which can be conditioned and changed by culture. Even in renaissance the women portrayed are not fat. This argument can be applied to the paleolithic era (venus figurines), at most.

Being obese is not being plump. This two are different things.

On a side note, the story literally mentions her weight at the title, of course it'll be a central theme. And knowing China, she'll sweat bullets to become unrealistic skinny. Hope not, but, oh well.

Fed-Kun's army
@blueoddog, so true! Rubens' ladies are far from being a plus size model.
I get why some people are ok with being oversized, it's only their deal. I smoke eventhough I know smoking is unhealthy, it's my choice. However, why advocate for this lifestyle? This is what I don't get at all.

Contributor
Alas, I take it from the comments that the premise is played straight instead of subverted. That's such a shame—even if I get that China as a whole hasn't really latched onto the whole "body shaming is bad" idea. Or the whole "sexism is bad," thing, either, so "The girl should make herself beautiful for the boy!" is I presume not as eyebrow-raising there. Still.

@blueoddog:

You're comparing apples and oranges in the terminology you're using; "Morbidly obese" is a medical definition, "plump" is a matter of appearance. For instance, I (who am quite tall / large-framed) have been medically obese in the past while not even yet being "plump" ("a bit pudgy" at most); the reverse is also true for other people.

And your implied assertion that evolution has prepared us to reject everything (be it a physical appearance or an abstract concept) that is not "normal" and "wholesome" is I think a laughable oversimplification of a complex reality.

@ciurrb:

You speak as if weight and shape are purely matters of choice and lifestyle, instead of being dominated more by genetics but capable of being influenced to a greater or lesser extent by an abnormally small or large diet (still depending to some extent on the person), as is the actual case.

@Pokari thank you for taking the time to analyse my comment and argument.

Although morbidly obese is a medical term, it can be, in orality at least and indicative of appearance. It does seem you missed the point I was trying to make; appearing actually fat, like really fat is different from at most corpulent. Is simply jading seeing people use the fucking renaissance as an argument for ''well being fat was once beautiful :D'' because it was not. These women appeared PLUMP.

And I get, I am a ''false thin'' (not sure the equivalent in eng) even if I appear thin I have far too much body fat. But, even if it isn't as clear cut appearance wise, how you look is a great indicative in these matters.

Of course I grossly simplified, nobody would take the time to read a bible in the matter of sociological perception of beauty in a chinese webtoon's comment section. Still, even if simplified, I believe i delivered the essential in this context. I did not implied that evolution made us reject everything. Culture is a greater influence, but if something arises within a culture, it probably has an biological root, at least in the beginning , otherwise is arbitrary.

Incest. Everybody hates it. The Egyptian monarchy did it, but for a reason. If you pay attention, almost everywhere else is seen as condenable, even in the most different cultures.

Still, thank you for the attention.

Fed-Kun's army
@Pokari

I acknowledge I may be not right, but I don't think that body mass index is that heavily glued to genetics, that a healthy person could never obtain a medically normal BMI. So, unless one have an illness that makes losing/obtaining weingt nearly impossible, I think body shape is really a choice of a lifestyle.

Contributor
@ciurrb:

Well, while I think you are wrong there—though I can't cite facts and numbers here, honestly—I feel you're missing the broad point I was making. I may have used it as an example, but my statement was not intended to hinge so entirely upon those for whom normal weight is a literal impossibility.

"Could never obtain normal" and "would have to devote a large amount of time and effort to obtain normal" are two very different things. Many people have to, or would have to, go through quite a lot of effort to stay within a "normal" range, and this tends to be underappreciated by people who have only a small amount of difficulty, because of their differing physiology —this exhibits itself most plainly when people say things like, "well, I was overweight once but I managed to get back down with a bit of self-restraint," or, "staying under a certain weight is simply a matter of [X]".

Particularly, in light of these differences, there's an issue of massively insidious victim-blaming, inherent in saying, "you did this to yourself," which quite frankly, is the ultimate implication of saying any health issue is from a "lifestyle choice". (As an aside, for stuff like complications of smoking and alcohol problems, the victim-blaming is, at least, usually technically fair and accurate, whether or not it's helpful. Here, I'm saying, it really isn't.)

"You chose this". As if for everyone it were equally a choice (some have neither the time nor the money, and you need at least one of those two to live healthily), as if someone could choose whether or not to eat, indeed as if, in the extreme, a good number of people didn't get faint from lack of food when they simply eat "little enough" to stay "normal-weight", as if controlling weight were just about willpower and anyone overweight has "let themselves go", and as if the "choices" involved for different people were even roughly equivalent.

It's one of the cruelest and most ignorant things things we routinely say, in a dozen different ways, to overweight people. (Of course, we don't criticize underweight people nearly on the same scale—they just get concern—because, frankly, as a group, we aren't really concerned about people's health, just whether they're fat or not).

Users who are viewing this thread