Official Meetup 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Instrumentality Instigator
Staff
Super Moderator
Ok. As of this post, the poll tells me that at least 130 of you are interested in some sort of meetup in real life. Astounding!

That has led me to believe that we're ready for the next step in planning: where and how

The way I see it, we have the following options for summer and fall of 2019:

[ol]1. Attending a major convention. This has pros and cons but it certainly is probably the easiest of our options since most of our time together can be centered around con activities and exploring the city the con is based in.

2. Pick a camping ground and have Camp MangaDex! We can earn patches in Weebery and Naruto Running. :v Probably our cheapest option but will take considerably more planning.

3. Pick a city and get a package deal for a hotel, rent a conference room, rig a projector, and have anime running in the background while we spend all weekend playing games, participating in contests, and/or exploring the city.[/ol]
We'll get into the nitty gritty of the details later but right now I think it's important we brainstorm ideas and share suggestions. Once discussion has run its course, I will create another poll and we will make a decision as a community.

Group Leader
Wow, so many people are interested, I hadn't noticed the survey but it's good to see this.
Sadly, I'll be too far away from anything you guys set up.
I hope it becomes successful, good luck 😄

Oooh, I think GenCon would be a really great location. There are plenty of rooms in the convention hall that we could look at renting out during the Con.

Staff
Super Moderator
@toomtooMX
That's the tabletop gaming convention in Indianapolis, correct? If so, that runs August 1-4.

Power Uploader
1. Seems a bit too large of a step, possibly a few years down the line (If we even survive that long)
2. Interesting, I might stick to the more traditional camping enjoyments, but it would be good for a laugh. ~~Till Jason shows up~~
3. Most practical also most expensive from minimal income via vendors to support the venture. Also the most flexible, but a good organizer/host is needed.

Just as an FYI having Anime/Movie's not explicitly authorized playing to the public would be dangerous legally.

Fed-Kun's army
Do livestream so us from the other part of the world won't die from loneliness okay (´༎ຶ ͜ʖ ༎ຶ `)♡

Contributor
Livestreaming it sounds great! I mean, Europe is pretty far... Can't really swim to US even though a swimming diploma is required here to go to secondary school ( ;∀;)

I feel obligated to mention Anime Expo because it's so huge (and LA being a great city in general) that there would be tons of things to do over the full 4 days of the con. The only issue being that it's really late to start planning for this years con because ticket prices have already gotten prohibitively high, and hotels in LA cost a ton.

If people want to do a small meet-up though I'm all for it, I'm already flying in from the east coast so might as well meet some other people as well.

EDIT: Los Angeles, CA from July 4 - 7

Power Uploader
Agreed, a major meetup is near impossible to properly organize for 2019. Unless we want to end up as a meme.

Miku best girl
Admin
BakaBT did these sorts of meetups in the past and they did work out.

Staff
Super Moderator
@Zerosh0ck
It really depends on where the vast majority of users are from. I think I'd rather have people debate the merits of whatever options there are before we pin down a location

@SilverBarnOwl
I disagree! Less than 200 people is a fairly easy meetup to plan if we have 3-4 months to do so.

@Zephyrus
Seems reasonable. I just wanted to throw the option out there in case there were people who were already planning on going to this year's AX.

I'm most in favor of attaching our meet-up to a convention. A lot of anime communities do this already and it seems to be a tried and true tested method. Plus there was the aforementioned benefits of having con activities already laid out so the planning on our end would be easier to figure out.

Staff
Super Moderator
@zerosh0ck
I am leaning towards a combination of camping/convention.

For example, Colossalcon is located in Sandusky, OH. There is a campground located there. If you're willing to sleep in a tent, you can save a crapton of money. There's also a theme park nearby called Cedar Point. I hear it's super fun!

I really like the camping idea, but I'm not sure if it'd be very feasible. If that does end up being a thing, here's my vote for the northeast US. I'm a fan of Zephyrus's idea with Colossalcon. Never been to Cedar Point, but that would be pretty neat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread