Ive had to do about 20 CAPTCHAS just today...

I’m talking between almost every chapter of any manga I look at from any device. If I see one more fire hydrant… i’m sorry, but if “cloudfare still thinks I’m a robot”, then cloudfare is a moron. I’ve seen several people post about this problem, but no one with authority reply. Maybe I missed it and someone actually is working on striking a balance between security and a positive user experience, but I’m not sure. If not, can someone please help, this has passed the point of absurdity. The CAPTCHAS also suck, I know I’m clicking on the images and yet I’ll have to go through them 3 to 4 times to get them to stop. Silly.

I actually had to do back to back captcha just now to confirm I am human. Both were simple checkmark clicks, but back to back. I somehow must have lost my humanity in that brief four seconds I just proved it. :p

Consider the check mark ones easy. I have to do the picture ones, multiple cycles times today. I have seen repeated pictures. This has happened 11 times in the last 2 hours. This is getting ridiculous.

For me, it seems to be running on a cycle. Every half hour to hour or so, I get checked again.

Once google decides your a robot, the simple checks vanish. Re-captcha v2's goal was to only challenge robots after all. However, if it decides to check you do to odd activity, and you screw a few captchas up.... say goodbye to the ez life. Select the images containing x. Select the boxes containing y in the image. I think 3-5 different checks each time for me. (I was fine until I started running my own site and added/tested re-captcha on it. Failed a few dozen times intentionally as I tested the site and.... been getting image tests ever since. I think its been 2 years since I last saw a happy magic checkbox at home)

Enough is enough as much as I love this site and wish to support it if I have to do one more captcha just to see if there is a new chapter I am going to scream and then look for a different site which I don't want to do, but the fact that I have to do this stupid picture captcha every hour is making it impossible for me to stay even though I have been here since the beginning of last year. Please PLEASE either ditch cloudflare or do something about the stupid google captcha.

Miku best girl
Admin
Would you rather do captchas or have a dead site? We're being DDoSed right now.

I'm trying another method, if this works then there won't be any more captchas.

I have fine tuned the captcha so that it won't display when you are on the reader.

Contributor
@Holo Perhaps a dumb question: Is it really a DDoS? Or is it just that this site has grown too big?

Miku best girl
Admin
It's definitely a DDoS. I know exactly what the attacker is targeting.
Basically, if I block what I believe is the target, the server is fine. If I remove the block, the server catches fire. Therefore it has to be a DDoS.

Don’t youd need an access to a large botnet to do a DDoS attack? Does that mean that someone has resources or money to do that 24/7 for months to this website? Jeeez...🙄

Fed-Kun's army
@dube
you do realize that many manga publishing companies hate sites like these that let people read for free since it makes it harder to sell the few series they do bother to translate (usually featuring poorly translated sections and, even worse, sections where they simply rewrite anything that they either don't like or makes references english readers might not get instead of keeping it close and adding an end of chapter explanation like a fan translator group will often do)
so while some attacks on sites like this might just be random groups that hate free speech or just want to see the world burn, at least every now and then there's probably some with decent backing for business reasons
also...constant problems for months? over-exaggerate much? I mean, ever since KissManga pulled their no ad blockers or no manga call BS I've been here (so yeah, several months now), and in all that time, I've only been hit with capchas on 3 separate occasions. each of those occasions had multiple capchas over the course of a couple hours at most, but still that's NOT constant for months, seriously, freaking KM at the end when I finally bailed had capchas literally ever chapter some days, and never more than 30 minutes without one on the good days...I was looking for a decent site for a while at the end (even before the anti-ad-blocker thing, but that was what really forced the matter...of course ironically they also got rid of most of the capchas after implementing that...but the ads made it not worth staying), but since I unfortunately overlooked MangaDex early on in my search I spent a while ruling out bad sites and turning back to KM to keep up on releases (I actually would have been ok living with KM even with ads, if not for the facts that they didn't bothering to fix their constant stream of malware laden pop ups and auto-redirecting ads AND they banned me from the chat app cause apparently they don't like people asking if they are going to fix major site issues or asking if other sites actually work without infecting the reader's pc with excessive malware/bloatware...and the whole people uploading temporary fake chapters that KM would skim and go "oh! new chapter, copy" and then not fix it when the real chapter came out thing really didn't help, although a few of them were so funny I couldn't really be mad at the TL groups for doing it, but it still kinda overall sucked)

Fed-Kun's army
@crazybars back when I started reading on KM it wasn't like what it is now (or rather, how it was when I left, no idea if anything's changed the last few months, but I doubt it), several years back I'd've even said it was one of the best *free* sites I'd ever seen, but it went downhill over time...and like I said I kept pushing in chat for them to be a better site again, and at the end I finally gave up on it and was just having a hard time finding a good new site

@InsaneInsomniac I have not been getting it as bad as he is saying but I have been getting them fairly frequently this last week, sometimes 10 minutes apart and sometimes a few hours apart. So while your experience might not be the same it does not mean that everyone is getting so few

Still vastly preferable, and also at least as time consuming, if not less, than closing popups constantly, running virus scans, etc. I see it as comparable to bad weather, which will pass; the constant rain of crap you get on other sites never does.

Well at least other people are having this issue as frequently as I am. For me it’s a new picture captcha or two every 20 minutes for weeks now and every single time I close and reopen the site. I was about to permanently leave the site until I found this thread. I really don’t want to leave because the page quality and comments on this site are much better than crap aggregators. But I will leave if I have to do a captcha every single time I want to check for updates on my manga which I do quite frequently throughout the day.

Really cool of you to respond to this thread @Holo I know it must be hard to strike a balance between protecting yourself against ddos while also making it a smooth experience for us users. Thanks so much for all the work you put in behind the scenes.

Hopefully at some point in the future the ddos attacks will stop or at least become less frequent, then the captchas can be eased a bit or something. Idk, I don’t know much about that kind of stuff.

@Holo I don’t pretend to know anything about the technical stuff, but as for the question “would you prefer CAPTCHAS or a dead site?”, are those really the only two options? Seems like extremes to me. All I’m saying is that from a user standpoint, it sucks to get hit with a CAPTCHA between every chapter, ESPECIALLY since I’m reading a lot on my phone and can’t always see a “crosswalk” or if there’s a “fire hydrant” in the corner, then I have to do ANOTHER one. Alerting you all to problems is part of a users job, since your users are kinda important. So no, I don’t want to do 20 CAPTCHAS, nor do I want a dead site. There HAS to be a happy medium, and if the hosting service or whomever thinks a majority of your users are robots multiple times a day, and this is an ongoing problem, clearly there’s an issue that needs to be resolved. I don’t think any of us are lacking in patience here, it’s just not getting any better. Today is no different than when I originally posted this comment—It’s still just as sensitive. The kicker is that I never did ANYTHING on my end to make it think I’m a robot, so when it posts that “what can you do in the future to stop this from happening” nonsense, it’s stuff that doesn’t even apply to me. I doubt it applies to anyone else either. Therefore, I don’t see what it’s protecting—if it’s flagging everyone, there’s no way true threats to the site can possibly be addressed efficiently. I just don’t get the point if it’s clogging up the pipeline with noise. I would think there has to be a third option—no just excessive and annoying CAPTCHAS versus dead site. Not trying to sound at all unappreciative, just saying it’s getting hard to use this site, and if you guys start losing ppl bc the protections are too absurd, then those protections don’t serve much of a purpose.

Miku best girl
Admin
You should not be hit with a captcha every chapter. If you are, something isn't working right...

Users who are viewing this thread