State of the Forums #2: Future Planned Features - Contests and Prizes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Instrumentality Instigator
Staff
Super Moderator
Hello everyone!

Lots of exciting things have been happening around here and it’s only been 8 days since the first State of the Forum. If you’d like to catch up, you can see the rest of the announcements here:

https://mangadex.org/forum/3/announcements

I’ve tried to be patient and wait until the forums had a few more features added, but I’ve got tons of great ideas and can’t wait any longer to share them with you all!

In this post, I’ll be introducing a few features that I hope to have up and running within the next couple of months on the forums, but we’ll see how it goes. Please keep in mind that these activities are subject to change due to feasibility.

1. Staff Manga/Anime of the Month Pick
*Every month, we will present a staff member’s pick of anime to watch and/or manga to read that they’d like to share with users. We might do something special from time to time like Favorite Rom Com or Best Old School Anime.
We may open this up to users at some point in the future. The staff roster is admittedly pretty small right now.

2. We’ll be opening Fanfiction and Fanart forums! These won’t necessarily be limited to anime or manga but expect them to feature heavily.

3. Last, but definitely most exciting, is the introduction of Contests! Once a month, I will choose a medium through which everyone will be able to compete for actual prizes and bragging rights.

Prizes: These are still being hammered out, but may include:
[ol]*Gift cards for the top three placements in a contest to popular retailers, Steam, or even J-List.
*Some sort of ribbon, medal, or flair
*A super sekrit prize that Hologfx and staff are working hard on![/ol]

Mediums: Either fanart or fanfiction, to start with. From there, I’m not ruling anything out! I have ideas of cosplay contests, Anime Music Video contests, and even OP/ED karaoke contests. Depending on the difficulty of the contest, we may extend the event time for several months.

Frequency: The tentative schedule is as follows:
[ol]*Monthly: Alternate between different mediums, starting from the first of the month until the end of the month. Submissions, judgements, and winners will be announced on roughly the last week of the month.
*Yearly: Once a year, MangaDex will pull out all the stops! This will probably be a very difficult contest, though the prizes will be considerably greater than the regular monthly contests. Depending on the staff’s ability to contribute, I expect that the Grand Winner will receive some amazing prizes! Second and third places will be nothing to sneeze at, either.[/ol]

Judging: This section is extremely tentative.
[ol] *I will be one of the judges during every contest, but I hope to recruit a steady stream of judges for a small panel of five.
[/ol]

Well, there you have it. These are my hopes and dreams for the MangaDex Forums Community within the next several months. If all goes well, I will be starting a contest within the next two months or so.

What kind of fun activities would you like to see on MangaDex? Sound off below!

Contributor
I always liked curated lists of manga/anime cause I'm a lazy sod who can't find stuff for himself.

Looking forward to contests but mostly as a bystander. Just sounds like a fun activity for the community to do and watch.

Contributor
MangaDex fanfiction??? (͠≖ ͜ʖ͠≖)

Joking aside, I think encouraging AMV or video edited material to submit in contests would be really cool!

Contest ideas?

° Site banners made by members and voted on either by staff or the members. You can change it annually even as a reoccurring contest.

° Site mascot?

° People really liked the April Fool's day manga, maybe try something similar with scanlation team contests, or fake Scanlation team contests IDC. One idea is make a story with scans by either writing your own dialogue or by rearranging the panels to suit your story. It wouldn't even have to be just from one manga, let me see Fist of the North Star transition into the doujinshi of FOTNS and Madoka into Magical Girl Ore or that other magical boy manga; the power of Photoshop is magical.

I suggest these ideas, but I also think everyone on the forums is meme trash, myself included, so you could get interesting submissions. xD

In addition to the anime/manga picks, if you put searchers out for recs from members, it would be easy enough to have a dedicated forum thread for it, just have some requirements for submissions? Should probably have some other rules but that could be sussed out at another time~

Contributor
Wow! It looks ambitious! I like the idea of contest and everything. You can try running a few contest on trial basis to see the response you are getting and whether you have adequate staff to handle it. And if possible you can ask for some volunteers from the readers side who can help you out in any way. I feel many readers will be happy to help out too.

Contributor
>writing, singing, drawing contests
>implying that I have any worthwhile skills
haha good one OP

Looks like a fun time, Thanks for expanding and growing the community can't wait to see the results of everyone's efforts! (or in the case of fanfic's their fetishes ?)

Contributor
About the Staff Manga/Anime of the Month Pick, I hope there are lists too. Something like in MangaRock. The users can vote too on what manga should be there.

For the contests, too bad I can't participate. Forever bystander :(

Staff
Super Moderator
I'm really liking some of the ideas I'm seeing here, guys. Keep it up! If we can generate enough enthusiasm, maybe it'll sustain us until I feel we have enough adequate features to being running contests. =)

Contributor
gimme dat cush

On another note, please don't be shit. I basically only ever buy groceries or steam games with my money.
I'm on mangadex.

Contributor
Do you have a assistant judge (AJ) role, like a subtitle when main busy or different interest judge can fall to this category. BTW, I want AJ novel role

Staff
Super Moderator
gimme dat cush

On another note, please don't be shit. I basically only ever buy groceries or steam games with my money.
I'm on mangadex.

What, you want the prizes to not be terrible or the contests?

Do you have a assistant judge (AJ) role, like a subtitle when main busy or different interest judge can fall to this category. BTW, I want AJ novel role

At the moment, there is no need for additional staff. If that changes, I'll ask Holo to approve it and then start interviewing users as well as reviewing their posting history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread