• Student debt from college

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Peanut butter and cookies

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Dex-chan lover
Anyone read the original Dororo manga?

Can you please tell me what the anime changed from the original manga? I've watched Mother's Basement's video about this but he only covered up to episode 7.

I'm curious especially about the recent episode 10 since that is my favourite so far. What did the anime changed from the source manga?

@DANDAN_THE_DANDAN It changed a lot of things, but here are a few to name right off the bat
There will be some spoilers

Hayakimaru
Hayakimaru had telepathy, and communicated with people that way, and moved his mouth while he talked through peoples minds by using his telepathy, He was taught to do the lipsync by the doctor, to make it seem like he could actually talk, and no one would find out about his telepathic abilities. Hayakimaru and Dororo both are pretty cheeky and blunt.
As Hayakimaru gains his body parts back, depending on the parts he has to deal with the downsides of having those real parts, like more limited movements and slower reaction time when he gets his real leg and arm back, or relying on his new eye in a fight, and not knowing that your eyes can deceive you in a fight, and having to learn things all over again with his new parts. None of that struggle with his new parts is said verbally, but is displayed visually during the fight scenes.

When Hayakimaru was a kid being raised by the doctor, the doctor would have him assist in his work, and didn't know anything about demons having his body parts until one demon did something dumb. The demon disguised as a patient went to Hayaimaru and the doctor's house, because he thought that the boy knew why his parts were missing, and would come after the demons who had his body parts when he grew up. Of course Hayakimaru had no idea about any of this, and even thought the doctor was his real dad.
The demon tried to kill Hayakimaru when he was preforming first aid on him, and I think the doctor dealt a fatal blow using the katana that Hayakimaru now uses.
This part is kind of foggy to me because it's been so long, but if I remember right, before the demon lost conciseness, the doctor made him confess to why he was trying to kill Hayakimaru, and the demon told them that Hayakimaru's birth father sold his unborn son's body parts in order to make a wish, and how many demons that are out there that have one of his body parts. After that, the doctor explained that he found Hayakimaru floating down a river, and that he isn't his real father.
After that incident, Hayakimaru said wanted to get his body parts back, so the doctor (who used to be a solider/samurai) trained Hayakimaru how to fight and use a katana, equipped him with sword arms, and then gave him the sword that has been in their family for generations (the sword that Dororo wants to steal).

Hayakimaru and Dororo's relationship in the manga was similar to that of a big brother and little brother, so much so that one character had even asked if they were siblings, with both being insulted that the person would even think they were related to each other.

Dororo
Dororo was a spunky, hot blooded, fast talking thief, who originally started traveling with Hayakimaru in order to find an opening, and steal Hayakimaru's rare expensive one of a kind Katana ( I think it was damascus steel or some other kind of rare metal). Dororo originally wanted the sword in order to become stronger, and if I remember right, Dororo mentioned later on wanting to take revenge on the dude who ratted out the troop of bandits, and kill him. Dororo later abandons the idea of stealing his katana after the Demon sword incident.
In the manga, Dororo was possessed by the demon sword because of the strong negative emotions and hate Dororo holds in his heart towards aristocrats and the magistrate/shoganate. While possessed by the sword, Dororo slashed Osushi and Tanosuke's dad's (He's an aristocrat) face in an attempt to kill him, and barely misses making a fatal blow, and even tries to kill Osushi, but resists by sheer willpower.

The reveal that Dororo is a girl isn't verbally said until the last arc of the manga, but is hinted at throughout the manga since the first volume. Even when it is revealed to the other characters that she is a girl, Dororo states that she is a man, will always be one, will continue to live as one, and refuses to be addressed as she or her.

Also, in the manga, Dororo is a super young looking 14 or 15 years old at the start of the story, but still went by the title of "Kid Thief" and "Child Thief", because he has gone by that tittle for years now, and likes the sound of it.
Other changes are, as I said up above, he has a strong hate for aristocrats, doesn't like girls (except his mom of course) because he thinks they all are fake and put on demure and sweet act.

Dororo get's his own arc during the later part of the manga, and it's a major turning point for the story, so I won't spoil that.

Now onto the events of episode 10

In the manga, it did not happen, Tahomaru did not have a battle helping a village defeat a demon crab.
As for Tahomaru's personality in the manga, let's get onto that.

Tahomaru
Tahomaru in the manga is much like his dad, except he is brash, headstrong, and sloppy in his sword fighting, as well as being sloppy when he is being nosey or up to no good.

Tezuka has something in throughout all his stories called "The star system", it is where characters from his stories appear in other stores as different people, think of it like an alternate reality version of a person. However, while they are a different person/character, most of the time, they still have a similar personality in whatever series they appear in, and Tahomaru is an example of this.

In Dororo, as well as other Tezuka series, Tahomaru is the spoiled rotten, he doesn't have any care towards anyone but himself, and will tear anyone down who stands in his way, or questions him, and his dad will condone his bad and evil actions, and sometimes even encourage it. In Dororo, he, his dad, and his sister, are both cruel and uncaring evil people, who taunt and torment villagers and the poor.
In the manga for Dororo, Hayakimaru had a brother and sister. His brother Tahomaru didn't really have a major part in the story until the last arc, when Hayakimaru reaches the capital city and ends up meeting his mom and his brother.

Uhhh... what happens after he meets Hayakimaru would be a mega spoiler, so I'll just say it wasn't a happy first meeting.
If you want to know what I mean by that, just ask.
Also, sorry it was so long, I didn't expect this post to end up being that long.

I hope that helped to answer your questions, if you have any more, just ask!

Dex-chan lover
Wait hold on I didn't realize that Dororo is a two-cour!

Compared to the manga, how far have we progressed @AkiraFudo? Cause episode 11 felt like it's approaching the climax of the series with
Hyakkimaru meeting his dad and almost all the demon in the shrine broken already
but apparently not?

@DANDAN_THE_DANDAN Sorry, in trying to recall the part related to Tahomaru, I ended up combining one part with the ending.
The anime so far is about at the beginning of volume 2 out of 3.
I checked some stuff to make sure I didn't mix stuff up again.

I mixed up the events of the "not so happy reunion conflict" in volume 2, with what happens in the final conflict with Daigo.
But yeah, there is a lot more to go. and the action about to come up next is going to be beyond epic, and have a whole lot of drama. Afterwards, not long after will be Dororo's arc, which will lead into the final conflict.

Users who are viewing this thread