BEASTARS - Vol. 8 Ch. 69 - The Tin Can Phone Line is Dying

Fed-Kun's army
For some reason, this manga does a really good job of portraying people who are just kind of fumbling around but trying to understand each other, rather than being stereotypical harem protag levels of dense. I wonder if part of the reason it works is that it's a recurring thing between different sets of characters, not just centered around the MC or coming off as "we need a misunderstanding to drive the plot - quick!". Legosi's awkward, and he doesn't necessarily read people's meanings very well, but he's just so goddamn earnest it works. (And, as is fitting for a foil character, Louis is decent (although not perfect) at reading people, but he's acting most of the time, and it's difficult for him to be earnest with anyone.)

The ferret(?) in the background dropping his load of books after overhearing Legosi drop a bombshell just kills me every time.

What if the ferret who dropped the books was like "WHAT!? you want to marry me?......

I'VE WAITED FOR THIS SOOO LOOONG"

and then he got all dejected because he realize he lost to a rabbit.

What the fuck am I even writing.

By the way, the author of this manga is female? I guess that explains the mood in this manga. Don't get me wrong, it's pretty refreshing and I like it, but the males truly feels a bit weird while the females seem a bit more real. Kinda like how a male artist tends to make the females feel less real than the males.

It's quite an unique manga. Honestly, after so many chapters bulk read straight, I'm starting to feel a bit bored with this manga, yet it still manages to be quite interesting as it's truly not repetitive at all. If one part is boring, another might not be. But I will be happy when I catch up to the latest translated chapter, I want to read something else, something a bit more light and less dramatic and exaggerated.

I’m glad the author brought up Haru. I don’t like female characters who are all about sex factor with their big titties flying all over the place, but the way Haru’s sexuality was handled I thought was quite nice. I tend to relate to female characters who are reserved yet very feminine,...but my eyeballs roll to the back of my skull at all the dudes here complaining about a female character who so much as deviates outside of anything other than their pure virgin-maiden fantasy.

I find Haru to be a very refreshing character. She isn’t perfect, there are parts of her that are grimy which is what I feel is an aspect that is emphasized in every character of this manga. She seems confident and mature but still she’s struggling and trying to find herself like everyone else.
I think she’s a good match for Legosi, she’s someone who challenges him to want to change and keep moving forward. Meanwhile, Juno seems to like him because they would be an attractive same-species couple. I have a feeling that people like her because at face-value she seems like your general, perfect and sweet girl-next-door. But I just don’t see her driving Legosi to develop as a character. With her personality and ideals, I would be more inclined to see her contend with Louis.

Dex-chan lover
I'm really warming up to Mr. Panda. In the beginning I couldn't help but be annoyed by how arrogant he seemed, punching people in the face for slipping to instincts he himself never had to grapple with, but here he's admitted his unique fortune in being born a panda. I wasn't expecting him to be a deadbeat dad though. Stupid panda, y'all are endangered!

The author's obsession with illustrating differences between male and female carnivores had me convinced they were a dude! Especially after Juno dropped that "females don't like conflict" line. Any nature show will show you that female carnivores are just as kick-ass as the males - they have to be successful enough as hunters to provide meat for themselves and their young, after all.

It doesn't surprise me that she's attached to Haru. I just sort of resigned myself to having to tolerate that rabbit sticking around, since the author's fondness for her is glaringly apparent in her writing.

Banned
@Seregosa : As bizarre as it seems, I think female mangakas do better shounen / seinen manga than male mangakas... on average.
Or maybe it is just that they do things differently that the male majority all do the same and I'm just preoccupied with originality... who knows?

I mean take Dungeon Meshi for instance. I read fantasy manga as a first priority... isekai stuff or straight up RPG-style dungeon delving stuff. I just like that sorta thing. But I have to say that Dungeon Meshi really surprised me with how completely natural and realistic the characters are despite being in a completely unnatural setting... and how it meshes comedy and drama together so effectively. And I suppose by the time I realised it was done by a woman I wasn't even surprised because I was starting to suspect it just based on the nature of the characters.

Dex-chan lover
I wasn't expecting him to be a deadbeat dad though. Stupid panda, y'all are endangered!
I don't see the relation there. The big deal is just getting pandas to breed at all, isn't it? He did his part and created a next generation in his family line. Sure he could do more, but his chosen career path would put his wife and child at risk, a potential net loss for the species.

aaaaaaaahhh! i laugh so hard at this... he's just too awkward, i love him! lmao, xD

so, she is not in love with Louis anymore eh? ...and it seems like Haru is changing little by little as well,

@Melchior
Well said. I love how Haru is written and I love her response to Legosi's proposal. "Who I hang out with is my business! I'd never marry someone as controlling as you!" Well fucking said.

@SotiCoto
It may be bias but I kind of agree. I find myself gravitating towards female mangaka's more than male ones these days.

Aggregator gang
lolol he just proposed like that 😭🥺💞
that interview with sensei is very interesting

Users who are viewing this thread