Is this discrimination?

So I just caught myself doing this: while reading comments on the forums or under the comments section I find myself (heavily)judging/discarding comments that are worded poorly, with the wrong tenses or with a lot of (heavy)mistakes in general. It's not like a few missing letters or wrong use of a word or any type of small grammatical error as I'm not a native English speaker myself and I personally make a lot of mistakes.
The type of comments I ''discriminate'' against are just a bunch of nouns and a few repeating verbs thrown together that take a few long moments until you start getting the idea that the writer wanted to convey.
A lot of times there are some proper opinions and ~good~ ideas behind the somewhat cryptic phrasing but at the same time, from the fact that their English is so bad, I can't take them seriously when they talk about the story, the way a character was presented, the narrative or even sometimes the translations and so on.

Now I ask this, is this some kind of ableism?
Should I change my attitude, or even bother trying to decipher those comments?
Should people that don't even have the basic understanding of English grammar even comment if others just make fun of them or don't understand what they meant?

I don't mean to harass non native english speakers, or anyone in particular. Because of that I won't mention any name/user but I will say that this little rant came about after reading a whole comment section that made my eyes sore and made me realize that no one there had an idea what the other commenter was saying.
Also, plz be nice.

1. Hmm probably is, but within good reason.

2. It really depends if your interested enough on the topic to take your time to decipher the message.

3. If someone is attempting or in the process of learning a new language, it shouldnt be frowned upon nor discourage.

@Dreick

Just say you don't understand. It's the truth, that's not ablest or discrimination for bad English.,

Do not however cross the line and say "learn grammer" or "Get good at English". That won't work because their 1st response to that is "Fuck you" followed by "Make me" and "I don't care what you personally have to say"

*edit: Whoops, forgot to use the symbol so you can see it.

Dex-chan lover
I do that to although I commonly make grammar mistakes as well lol. Thank goodness for the edit button.

Contributor
Eh, personally I don't mind mistakes. I also don't mind when people correct my grammar mistakes or wrong uses of words or even ask something like "Can you elaborate?".
But I do mind is when people smugly say "Pfff, learn English" or "Do you even grammar?" or something

Edit button is a gift from gods

@Dreick Are you trying to eliminate, censor, or otherwise curtail the other person's ability to speak?

If not, then it's not the kind of discrimination I think you're concerned about.

is a Reindeer
VIP
@Dreick
from the fact that their English is so bad, I can't take them seriously when they talk about the story

Well, we are an international website. About half our traffic comes from the USA, the rest is scattered about. A user's level of English may be questionable depending where they're from and what their background is like. I try to consider that when I'm deciphering oddly written comments

If the series description is a Google Translate mess (i.e. 99% of Chinese Manhua), I'll just lampshade it and move on, since there's no user to ping.

Group Leader
Just how did you manage to dig up this thread...?
Upanhso.tk-83.gif

Users who are viewing this thread