Blue Period - Vol. 1 Ch. 4 - Godly

thanks for the chapter! I'm so happy that Yuka is trans; it's not every day where you see a trans character not depicted in a horribly weird/stereotypical/not degrading way, & is allowed to just be another character in a manga!

Dex-chan lover
Hrm, interesting. I wonder if the original used male pronouns and forms for Yuka as up until now a lot of the manga itself avoided any pronouns but the 4koma at the end said "he" in translation. And I'm wondering how Yuka will be treated by the author as they go on if they are simply cross-dressing and identify as male or if they're trans. Hard to tell what an author is stating sometimes tho you do get some authors addressing it well like the Sket Dance guy and Yuureitou author.

Anyways, this manga really captures that harsh feeling well of trying your best at something and comparing yourself to people who are way better than you. You can use it to push yourself forward but most people just use it to give up as they feel they can't keep up or will never be as good so why bother? It's really hard to see someone better than you no matter how long you or they have been doing it and it's really disheartening to make so much progress then see how high the summit really is.

Really glad Senpai got into her art school tho! Good for her.

This manga is super fucking good.

Did I miss something? It feels like that “reveal” came out of nowhere. We’re there any previous hints towards Yuka’s gender before? Always assumed Yuka was just a plain cis girl.

@saenahonce yeah! chapter one had one of yaguchi's friend say "hey, it's the cross dresser" and then yuka wanting to be called yuka-chan, not ryuji which is her given first name & i'm assuming is a japanese male name? i like that it's not so in your face; i love trans characters, being one myself, but i hate that every story involving trans character usually end up being this huge coming out thing. just personal preferences tho!

Dex-chan lover
True. But with so little representation in Japanese media I do understand why it's often a focus or made a big deal; views on it in Japan are very conservative so much of the time a trans person can't just be themselves but other people make a big deal out of their identity. It takes center stage a lot because unfortunately trans people a lot of the time can't just exist without it being brought up by others so then they have to deal with it.

So like I said, I'll wait and see how Yuka is handled by so far it's pretty nice

Contributor
Always glad to see an update of this and I definitely appreciate how quick they've been too.

@OniBarubary
Japan's an hardly an exception though. IME, Western media is guilty of most of the same unless it's some indie game that commodifies the identity in an entirely different way.

Sem

Dex-chan lover
Aghshhjakak this is really dredging up all kinds of long forgotten feelings. It's a lot of fun to have many people draw the same subject, then compare how they interpret it. It's something that doesn't happen as often once you're an adult because everyone has left the basic studies behind and now concentrates on their own specialties. It's a very youthful feeling, standing in a classroom and getting a collective critique.

Also Yaguchi, what?! That ending bit with how gracious and understanding he was about BL! What a kind and openminded boy, seriously!

Group Leader
Yaguchi is a great MC, what a bro to everyone. I'm really enjoying this manga already for so few chapters.
Also no lie when they dropped that "crossdresser" line in chapter 1 I thought it was just Yaguchi's friend being a dick (like maybe about someone being tomboyish or "ugly") and quickly forgot about it. Really took me by surprise to see that he was actually referring to a character in the story LOL

Read all available chapters in one sitting. This manga really hits it close for me. I was always interested in art in as a child through to highschool but I never took the plunge, so good on you Yaguchi!

I mainly post some digital art now and again on Twitter as a hobby but I still wonder what it would've been like to work at it profressionally and getting a degree.

So much for the idea yuka was a girl in the boys top or swapped in warm weather uniform. Cannot accept that waist and arse though. Does not matter in the end he/she is just a support character so far, gender likely wont change anything.

They are all so afraid about getting into a course. Odds are far worse getting work and keeping it. Exp in the fine arts, really you need to push galleries the entire time your in school to get out there and either build clientele who have money or catch the eye of investors/traders.

Users who are viewing this thread