Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! - Vol. 8 Ch. 890 - To Stand As Equals

is this still the same author? I mean how come Jun uses his brain suddenly?

Dex-chan lover
Mature, jun matured too fast. Did his sports brain deactivated when his love came true?

@fireproofemu
Both titles are technically correct but it's a matter of what an individual finds acceptable when doing a translation or reading one. The raw text for this title is 並び立つ為に, which roughly translates to "in order to be equal." The /a/ version kept it simple and used "To Stand As Equals" while dropout made an attempt at fancy wordplay with "Lining Up The Linen To Line Up With Tomo" because he is laying out (lining up) clothes (linen) and thinking about how to be equal to Tomo (line up with Tomo). Personally, I think it's completely unnecessary but I can see the cleverness in the wordplay.

Power Uploader
I personally I'm liking this version more than dropout's.

Group Leader
@kurisu
Ditto. I much prefer translations that are closest to the original text/meaning, without going overboard with anything unnecessary. 'Tis one of the reasons I'm against "localization" in anime and manga when they're licensed for the west.

Dex-chan lover
@Harry_Dong Localization itself isn't a problem, in fact translation is only part of the process of localization; the issue is the unnecessary creative license many use (I'm looking at you CR...).

I know what I'm about to say is probably common sense to a lot of people but it also isn't to others unfortunately. Translation is taking the original words and converting them to the new intended language (like google translate), leaving it in this state is referred to as transliteration quite often because it is TOO literally/directly translated (the fact that some people like this + a whole swathe of translator notes to explain things is a different matter entirely). Localization is the process in which you take the newly translated text and make it actually make grammatical and literal sense in the new language.
The art of it comes in knowing when to deviate and how much in order to carry the meaning of the sentence without requiring explanation. A good example of this is a much earlier chapter of Tomo where Mizusu told Carol to listen to her and one translation just went with a more literal word accurate translation while another knew that the exact words used were rude and condescending within the context and so deviated to something that, while less word accurate, conveyed this without translator notes or further explanation. Retaining word accuracy can be counter productive to retaining the original meaning due to various differences within the language structure itself and the culture of those speaking it. This is the bit the several professional translators/interpreters I know had to do 4-5 years of university to get nailed down.

Group Leader
@DrWhoCares @MacMeaties

I concur, to a degree, mainly up to the point of when it gets lost in translation. But more often than not, localizers take too much creative liberties, to say the least (like Funimation dubs and as you mentioned, CR).

Group Leader
@Harry_Dong Yeah, there's certainly a limit. However, if the original meaning isn't lost, and the dialogue still flows naturally, and the comedy element is still there, then that's a much more faithful adaptation than creating stilted translations which harm the reading experience.

At this point it's quite obvious the sniping is just to screw with dropout.
/A/ didn't even bother with #889, probably because dropout got it out before they could snipe....

I'm probably asking too much of this guy to find a neglected project and work on it instead of fueling the silly scanlation drama...

As a leecher who doesn't have the time to learn the language due to RL time constraints, I am forever grateful to all you scanlators out there spending your free time working to get chapters like these out on a regular basis.
Every time I see these silly drama fights, I just find it really saddening that the status/drama/viewpoint seems to be more important than sharing these works with plebs like me who just want to enjoy these series but don't have the means to.
Whiny rant of in ungrateful leecher over.

Double-page supporter
@FacePalmEXE
The only drama I've seen here is people complaining that someone dares to make a translation of a series they enjoy and someone else dares to upload it even though someone else has done their own translation and uploaded it here.
Mangadex is definitely in need of improvement as far as multiple releases of the same chapters are concerned but the solution to that is asking the staff to make key improvements to the site's functionality, not bitching out the people who make or upload additional releases.

MD@Home
@Birdulon
Let's not be naive here. Scanlation takes a lot of time and effort, so if people decide to work on a series, they likely have a pretty good reason for doing so. Usually, the reason is that they want the series to be available to a wider audience. But when it comes to sniping a manga with a stable group release schedule and great scanlation quality, this reason cannot really apply, now can it? So the question that needs to be asked is this: what else might be their motivation?
Well, if you check the current chapter's notes on the page, the answer is glaringly obvious: they want to screw with Dropout, plain and simple. And I guess the fame that comes with sniping a popular manga is a nice added bonus too.

you people realize /a/ isn't a "translation sniper" right? It's a bunch of people on the anime board of 4chan. It isn't a scanlation group. but seriously, does it even matter if there's two translations? Jesus christ.

Double-page supporter
@pip25
As others have pointed out, it's done in /a/ threads. You're vastly overstating the time and effort taken for this series - the raws are straight from a webcomic that requires minimal redrawing. I normally don't check threads on this but I just looked up the latest one (ch892) and someone threw up an english script for it within 20 minutes, and within another 15 minutes, a typeset page using that script was thrown up by someone who may or may not have been the translator.
Neither of the posts have names attached, pretty weird way of seeking "fame" if you ask me.
Calling this malicious sounds extremely cynical. Putting the the english script together isn't much more work than reading the raw in the first place - even if they happen to be slow at reading japanese, they may enjoy doing so and improving their familiarity with it.

Users who are viewing this thread