Do you think scan groups should put their watermark on the series they work on?

jak

Contributor
Honestly, I'd be okay with it if that watermark wasn't intrusive. The thing is though I've seen so many where the watermark will destroy the art because of where the group put it. It's quite tiring to see.

Power Uploader
No, watermarks are an artistic sin. They destroy the artists content to forcefully promote the scanlators. Credit pages are superior in function and non distracting. Even more egregious is hosting sites that watermark.

Dex-chan lover
Well watermarks is a protest against some "egregious" non-mangadex sites due to the following reasons that the link explains it better than I ever could:
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120118192321AAkqqVa&guccounter=1

But at the same time, translators of manga from Eng to other languages would innocently suffer a bit depending on how and where the watermarks are.

Edit: They would probably ask the scan team first though, unless the group has disbanded.

Group Leader
I'd be fine with it if it's in the white bottom part of a page and somewhat stealthy too.
Credits pages work well but I understand some aggregators delete them. Watermarks on the art just ruins everything.

About what said Teddy, your edit's right, it wouldn't hurt the scanlations team from other languages who translate from EN->their language since they'd ask the original scanlation team (and if they don't, well... they'd deserve having a watermark on the face). Which is bad a thing to do but sometimes, there's just no other way to have it available in your language when you don't know anyone knowing that language AND willing to TL.

Contributor
Should be treated as translators notes.

Shyning on the mark
I'd be fine with it if it's in the white bottom part of a page and somewhat stealthy too.
Credits pages work well but I understand some aggregators delete them. Watermarks on the art just ruins everything.

I don't mind watermarks- to a point. I can understand the idea. However if you put them in the background (like Cookie scans for example) just stop bothering to even scan it. It's the worst.

yu6

Contributor
I don't like watermarks because they are always placed on images, I know it's there so that others don't steal the work but.... I prefer a link, the group name or something else at the top/bottom page
(or a credits page, I'm totally fine with that)

Contributor
No.

If i see a bad watermark, i just stop to read this manga and look something else.

It's just awful most of time.

Power Uploader
if it's not your original work, you have no right to watermark

I guess it is alright as long as it is on the sides and not in the middle of the manga. It really is distracting and it lessen the fun of reading it.

Users who are viewing this thread