Boku ga Watashi ni Naru Tame ni

Group Leader
>genderswap

I got a feeling that this in particular might not be exactly what people are looking for when searching the "genderswap" tag... we really need a "transgender" tag tbh

I discovered the mangaka when I am on amazon.co.jp and a USSR air force girl royal road manga 白百合は朱に染まらない piqued my interest. The art is honestly good and the story interesting. I only know she is a transgender woman when I googled her name. Please release the air force manga here, I will buy everything.

Contributor
@EvelynIsGone:

I made that argument when the pertinent tags were being re-arranged, but IIRC, the admins felt that there were too few manga that actually talked about transgendered people, to merit a tag for it.

I am tempted to say that the tag should be removed in this case myself. It's an interesting question as to whether it's technically "correct" or not, as it stands, but regardless it seems a bit insensitive (though not as insensitive as the handful of cases where, for instance, a manga with female-identifying biologically-male character explicitly dealing with gender dysphoria, got labelled as "shounen-ai").

But I don't know. Removing all the gender-y tags from everything that treats the issue seriously, seems to conversely play into the idea that everything with "magic" fantasy/sci-fi gender-swaps are just fetish material, when some of them are using it to allegorically talk about many of the same gender issues... Or am I just overthinking things way too hard, here?

Group Leader
@Pokari I just feel like there would be a benefit to help separate people who are looking for manga about transgender characters and people who are looking for mangas about magical sex change/gender-swap stuff tbh

hopefully enough trans manga gets made in the future to warrant a genre tag

@EvelynIsGone I think exclusively gender identity-related tags are a good idea. Honestly, it might help out kids that are having a hard time figuring out and being comfortable with their own gender identity. But instead of 'transgender' tag, it could be labelled as 'gender identity' tag to include both transgender and nonbinary/genderqueer.

@Pokari I see your point; it can be seen as insensitive, but making a tag will make it easier for people looking for information/researching to find helpful materials like this that takes gender transition and gender identity seriously. It also warns people sensitive to this topic and possibly ward off harmful viewers and commenters away instead accidentally gathering them.

Dex-chan lover
thank christ the RLE is a thing of the past for most of us, what a hazing ritual

Double-page supporter
Very instructive story. Reminded me of when I was a teen and I was dealing with my own GD. It figured that it was my own hormones what were causing it, and the treatment I had to take for the hormonal imbalance later helped me get more comfortable in my own skin.

Group Leader
This makes me respect MTF and trans people in general more. Not everything here is true to real life or the same for everyone ofc but it's nice and horrifying to look at the transitioning process from someone who had experienced it.

1: Oof being called out by the assistant at the airport.

2. Heck ya! Representation for those of us who werent lucky enough to "always know"... some of arent as smart... or at least I wasnt.

Users who are viewing this thread