Bokura wa Mahou Shounen

I dont know why but the first chapter kind of reminds me of kill la kill.

Contributor
I'm not sure what to think about the fact that I went, "wait, is this from Fukushima Teppei?" on the first page (well, pg. 4)—other than that I'm still waiting for someone to translate Amaryllis, and that the cover of that must be what I was reminded of.

Well, Teppei has never dissapointed me before, except by getting axed.

I'm curious whether he's gone off the deep end now and this is just going to be weird for weird's sake, or whether character growth is going to inexorably make it's way in as it did in the past.

...Also now I'm starting to wonder just a tiny bit if Amaryllis was really as gay as it looked, in my confused glancing at the raws, a long time ago... probably not, yet I would be still amused if it were.

Dex-chan lover
This manga in one gif...

200w.gif

Why is there a gender-bender tag. This isn't gender-bender, unless crossdressing somehow magically removes the dick from boys.

Sometime somewhere, someone decided that cross dressing was gender-bending and no one was manly enough to tell him he was wrong. But mostly because people are lazy.

IT'S ALIVE GODDAMMIT!

On a side note, I'm glad some cross-dresser mangos are tagged as Gender Bender, I was able to find this again even though I forgot its name and didn't have a clue to where to search.

You'd think there would be a Cross-Dressing tag since it is kind of a popular genre.

Dex-chan lover
@yufang997
Superpure - Considering theres no literally ecchi kind of style in art, neither perverted kind of gender bender story, with chibi like artstyle. That said, you thought it was a Mahou Shoujo? It was all bokura wa Mahou SHOUNEN! so yeah, literally boys in cute dress.

Super denegerate - Its seinen but ironically have somekind like chibi kid arstyle and flashy outfit. The 6th last cut and page really made in into question is this a seinen? or a kid books? Weird kind of comedy.

I have a weird feeling reading this but regardless i gave it 9/10.

Contributor
@yufang97:

Some of Teppei's stuff already had had a thing going where there's a children's-book quality to the art, themes and the structure of storytelling, and the protagonists are childlike (and usually rather precious), but the content sometimes isn't, in a way that can really catch one off-guard. (Special mention to, in Samurai Usagi, the protagonist's wife's backstory)

In past works, it was especially interesting to me because it doesn't come off as something done for the sake of being edgy; indeed the stories would seem to genuinely espouse a softer, more optimistic world-view, while still being set in a world where terrible things happen as they are wont to.

...This manga, on the other hand, goes a bit off the deep end, so who knows. So far I kind of still expect morals (or perhaps human empathy?) to win out in any scenario by this author—but I'm less sure what's going to happen with, say, issues pertaining to various dimensions of sexuality, which are not really fundamental moral issues so much as societally-acceptable-behaviour issues.

Of course I could have Teppei pegged completely wrong, too. I've had that thought more than once or twice while reading this so far... >_>;

Users who are viewing this thread