Marine Corps Yumi

Group Leader
This is, by far, one of the most consistently funny things I have ever read! And, no, you don't need to have been in any military to enjoy the humor.

Dex-chan lover
After the author passed away I didn't know what would happen with this, it was heartbreaking so I moved on... They said it would continue somehow but I'm not strong enough to keep my hopes up.

Contributor
Wow, this was really entertaining. I'm very sorry to hear the author passed away. Hope that whoever is translating it can finish it. Thanks for getting this far.

Yeah, I hope someone picks this up for translation. Although, maybe an English translation courtesy of Ms. Moreno-san already exists? IIRC she mentioned (maybe her blog or twitter or mcyumi.com) she'd worked hard and managed to finish writing it while in chemotherapy, and she did work in the English manga business herself (her ANN entry is here), so maybe someday we'll see it finished? It doesn't exactly seem aimed at a US-based market (although I'm enjoying it plenty!), so I could see licensors not seeing much potential in it, but if a solid translation already exists, the license for it might be pretty cheap.

Are the comments at the end of each chapter the ones from from the author, that were on the official English site?

Yes, it was very disheartening to hear about the author's passing. The subject matter, based on experience, is so genuine and the presentation so charming that it is truly an unfortunate loss.

Dex-chan lover
@pipmanga Yup, those comments were from the author herself who provides some information about the US Marines.

Anyway, thank you to Hyakuro translations for translating this manga in english since the official english translations never continued after the author's death. However, there was one mistake and that was having the Marines called each other Soldiers. The various US Military branches have a lot of friendly rivalry with each other and consider themselves better than the other branches to the point they don't like being considered the same as the other branches like the US Navy called their combat pilots Aviators and not Pilots since they don't like to be compared to US Air Force Pilots. The same can said between US Marines and US Army Soldiers since they see themselves as better than the other and calling a Solider a Marine and vice versa is considered an insult to them.

Contributor
thank you hyakuro tl for bringing this alive again, i discovered it and its awesome! keep it up ?

Group Leader
@ F0nF0n

Ahh I see! I'll look out for that in future chapters, thanks for the correction! :)

Dex-chan lover
I regret living as long as I did before I discovered this piece of modern art marvel.

This is one of the most captivating stories I've come across in recent years.

I found it by pure chance in the "Random manga" display on the MangaDex start page less than 24 hours ago, and now I'm all caught up. My initial reaction was "guess this is another dumb gun/military otaku manga huh", reinforced by the fact that the artist, Nogami Takeshi, has drawn both Strike Witches and Girls und Panzer. But no, Marine Corps Yumi is actually a surprisingly accurate story about becoming a female US Marine, as told by its author, former US Marine Anastasia Moreno. Despite being a lighthearted comedy, it manages to convey strong emotions, and has a rather educational approach.

I was devastated to find out that the author, Anastasia Moreno, passed away from cancer in 2015. She handed over the remaining story to Nogami Takeshi before her death, who completed the manga with 7 volumes by late 2017. Moreno worked as a professional manga translator (she was eng/jap bilingual) after becoming a veteran, and did the excellent, official English version herself. Moreno's official English version only reached volume 3 chapter 78 before her passing, so now we'll have to rely on the scanlators to fill her boots for the remaining chapters!

Users who are viewing this thread