NEW GAME! - Vol. 8 Ch. 82

Staff
Admin
p5 b7 No. Why would you do that? She JUST stated she can't decide, why wouldn't you have a discussion and hear the entire team's opinions before picking? Like they did after the first round. And why press for a decision now? Remember, Aoba is still up front in the middle of her presentation. What the fuck?

p6 b7 SEE LOOK AOBA IS STILL STANDING UP IN FRONT OF EVERYONE WITH HER PRESENTATION WHAT THE FUCK ARE THEY DOING?

OK but seriously, take a minute and consider this entire series of events. You have this rivalry between Momiji and Aoba that has been building up for two full volumes now, and a rivalry specifically over the next character design position being built up for the better part of a volume, and it's decided in a single panel, on a whim. Right there. In front of everyone. While someone is still standing in front with their presentation. And the copycat work is the one that gets picked. (Seriously the only difference she could point to was they wear protective gear. But they only seem to be presenting a single team, when there are going to be a large number of teams in the game, all who are going to need to have unique designs, so that can barely be called a difference. Over the course of designing numerous teams, Aoba would surely make a few with some gear.) After depicting the reaction to Momiji's presentation as being the worst, and after specifically having a huge build up and reaction to Aoba's presentation. After the first round, they spent a long time deliberating over the positives and negatives of each submission before giving any feedback, and if anything the final decision is much more important. So you'd expect them to give the same careful discussion to that, too. But suddenly nobody has any opinion. Not Hazuki, despite speaking up earlier about there being no reason to choose Momiji's copy over Aoba. Not even Christina, despite it taking a full chapter just to convince her to give Hajime any chance at all. This is even a major plot point for her in the next chapter. To which I can only respond "It's a little too late to start worrying about that now! If you're gonna be that worried about it, why did you agree so easily?" Hajime herself clearly cannot decide, yet instead of taking time to think it over and ask for opinions from the other management, they have her decide on the spot. Which seems like a terrible idea. Also, Momiji's not even a full employee yet. She's still in school, and technically an intern. She doesn't graduate until the end of this volume. What are they doing making her a core team member? There are just so many problems with this, both from a storytelling standpoint and from a plot standpoint. All the buildup, for it to end like this. We've been shown Aoba's growth and resolve the entire time, while there's been a single chapter of Momiji drawing with Hotaru, and haven't really seen any growth in her character. From a storytelling standpoint, Aoba is the one that is presented as being ahead the entire time, even during the actual presentations. Momiji is always shown as being behind Aoba in some way, and she's constantly self aware of that. So seriously, what? I can understand if the author wants to give every character a time in the spotlight, but he really needs to do it in a way that the readers can accept and understand the final outcome being what it is.

p7 b6 See, even Momiji herself doesn't understand the plot doing this.

p7 b8 she couldn't even come up with her own idea, man. How can the management have faith that she'll be able to make however many different designs for everything that's needed?

p8 I don't care how you try to explain it after the fact, it makes no fucking sense in the plot itself.

^ A rant from the TL. Ping mogu, not me :D

Dex-chan lover
@ixlone

Completely agree. Tbh, there's been a bit of feeling of floundering with the writing in general since the last game's arc wrapped up. The whole development of this third game just feels thrown together with little planning. If that's being done purposefully and things fall apart, that could be interesting. But if it's just being thrown together because the writing's just being thrown together because the writer's lost direction, then it could be a bigger issue.

@venerablemonster

Count me too. The writing over the last few chapters looks really messed up and forced. When it was a competition between Aoba and Rin, it made so much more sense, but this... it feels like the author tries to do an overly long filler to avoid the time skip before the next major arc.

Double-page supporter
Feels a bit like the author decided that Momiji had to win for drama reasons without working out how it would be justified in story and we get... this.

inb4 sudden 'i think aoba should have the role'-- at this point i wouldn't really be surprised

Not gonna lie Momiji's kid on the left looks a bit scary
But like not even cute scary

@ixlone I agree. It was forced and too awkward. As someone who worked in the app industry, this story doesn't makes sense at all and only shows that their company doesn't have good management. Every decision, especially major ones, should be discussed between section leaders, not chosen on the spot and no discussion whatsoever. "Just pick one of them, i'm sure you'll make a good decision", my ass. I mean, this is your character design goddammit, they should be more careful with it.

Dex-chan lover
I agree on most points with @ixlone on most points, the one I don't agree with was that they should've made discussed more ...because technically they did, they already told them what they needed to change and improve and now that it's done is time to chose and start working asap.
But damn... That was easily the most boring and charmless design, this competition would've made sense if Yun and Momo's desing were swapped, the excuse was that the design matched Hajime's taste? That's selfish ... Aoba needs to be more skilled to win? Nah is only that her style wasn't liked now, there was nothing wrong with it and it shouldn't change to match the taste of ONE person! Geeeeeeeeezzz
Anyway, hope they can actually work together and don't regret this choice... I don't feel the story has gotten worse, but Hajime's is not prepared for this, wish Hifume could've stepped in and say something.

Users who are viewing this thread