Release That Witch

Aggregator gang
As someone who has read the Novel, this is disappointing, though I'm just gonna read it for the sake of character design(since most chinese novels like RTW doesn't have them)

Please read this before reading the manhua, START at chapter 1. Most Prologues give bad impressions or seem excessively silly or trashy. Always start from chapter 1... and if you like what you saw you can go back and laugh at how poorly done the prologue was.

Dex-chan lover
Reading that prologue makes you wonder if you're having a stroke. The first two real chapters are WAY better, so far.

Dex-chan lover
Witches truly exists, and they even possess magic powers! - Yeah, witches usually have magic, what an adv :D

Dex-chan lover
I can't read this, it has such a low quality, I can literally draw it better. Even character design in my head is much better and Roland especially looks far better in my head too reeeeee.
My advice, just read the LN. It's a shame to read this manhua and not to read the novel beforehand.
Btw looks like the anime is canceled? PV was so good though.
PS: first chapter looks so comical and this weird character info pages looks comical too compared to LN that have a pretty serious air.
Foureye should not have agreed to let this manhua be.

i really don't know if i am gonna enjoy reading this as right now i am tormented looking at the design (and possibly art too)
i read the novel and what is appear on my mind is something like GoT, king arthur, TES, kingdom come deliverance, something like that
well, probably i was hoping the manga has an art like square enix mangas or maybe solo leveling that has a tone of seriousness
i can already see the MC, 2 witches and 3rd & 5th sister is far from my imagination

edit: wait a goddarn minutes! isn't that witch already dead?
look at the wooden floor underneath the hanged witch, its already lowered/opened (last panel)

@vodkavodka it seems we have more or less same opinion regarding this manhua 😁

Showing cannons in the background behind the third princess.

I thought he was the one who ends up inventing gunpowder in the first place?

Dex-chan lover
@friezaisdead truly so. Also yes, scaffold's hatch is already opened, it's so damn lazy. Human body is unrecognizable there too.
@malvazar yes, it just doesn't make sense. And what is that eyepatch with Jolly Roger and ragged skirt?

lol at the harem tag.

I know the author explicitly said there would be no harem in the novel version despite the natural flow of the novel (because his wife wouldn't let him), and I also know that manhua adaptations aren't always 100% faithful to the original.

Might be worth reading the manhua version if it goes full harem because a lot of Roland's actions would make so much more sense if he was getting it on with all of them.

I read this novel up to like 200 chapters a while back and I'm surprised to see it adapted into a manhua. It seems underwhelming and immature according to the image I had of it in my ahead. I'll read it anyways to see how certain character look

I'm dead tired of this myth of common witch hunts in europe. Funny that term witch hunt came much later during french "enlightenment" from Jean-Jacques Rousseau and other authors of "Encyclopédie". The constant hate towards previous eras and gloryfication of ancient times give the french rationalist this shitty thought that the end justifies the means. So what they did was clear propaganda towards middle ages. Just for example in England during 1440 and 1750 there was 200 executions for witchcraft (1/4 of those were man, and 180 cases went without church participation, half of the executions were done by hanging and other half by decapitating, there were only three cases when woman was burned [Margery Jordeimaine, witch from Eye, was burned alive for murdering with brutality on 27 october 1441 in Smithfield, Isabella Billington which body was burned after hanging in 1650 in York and other one was Isabel Cockie burned in1596.]) Very rarely people were burned alive, (most of those burnings came during world war 2 on German occupied territory in eastern Europe). Most of people who were accused for witchcraft was deemed innocent (almost 80% of all cases). And very rarely there were gatherings of "angry mob" to see execution which mostly took place outside of cities and were quite deserted. There are many good historical books about those misconceptions, for example Malcolm Gaskill Witchfinders.

Sorry for the long post

@kosmaj Not sure if you have read the novel, but I can assure you that this does not quite go in that direction. They are actually witches, not simply being accused of being witches (though sometimes people are later on), and it is fantasy story. The novel was very good at bringing you up to speed on what was going on because it is easier to show internal thoughts in that medium. Also it has been only 1 actual chapter. There are actual reasons behind what is happening rather than random "angry mobs," though they show up later on. They are certainly more concrete than any reasoning or accusations of the witch hunts in our history, though some influences are taken from them.

I can already tell that this visual adaptation won't be quite at the same level as the novel, but I will say that the novel is probably one of the best I have seen in comparison to others which have simplistic and shallow characters, little development, and repetition.

In order to not spoil it, I'll just say that the plot focuses on religion, war, and social and technological development. It isn't as much about the drama pertaining to accusations of witchcraft or bewitchment as something like The Crucible. I won't go any further in my claims since I don't have much more background in this regard other than having read this piece and the novel for this manhua.

I rather liked the novel, at least as far into it as I read, so seeing it get adapted is nice. That said the artstyle here leaves a lot to be desired. Not entirely sure if I'll pick it up or not.

Users who are viewing this thread