Major Announcement: Introducing Path.net, Our New Sponsor!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Instrumentality Instigator
Staff
Super Moderator
It has been two and a half weeks since MangaDex was hit with a DDoS. The initial DDoS didn’t last for too long, but it caused Cloudflare to begin throttling its free tier of service to us. To be fair, it is quite surprising that we lasted so long on their free tier considering that we pushed over 1 PB per month through their servers. After a quick discussion, we decided to upgrade to Cloudflare’s Business Plan. Unfortunately, at the time, Cloudflare’s billing system was under maintenance until the 31st of January. Several days of waiting didn’t seem too bad so we decided to wait it out. To our dismay, Cloudflare pushed the maintenance back to the 8th of February. We hastily implemented another fix which has made the site mostly stable, with a few issues. The 8th has come and gone and while we are functioning fairly well, the situation with Cloudflare has still not been resolved.

We want to thank everyone who expressed their support by offering technical support, financial assistance, and generally declaring that they'd stand by us no matter what. It was truly inspiring to see just how many of you love us!

I can reveal a little more information. It's been hearsay up 'til now, but I can confirm that we have plans to upgrade to the Business tier on Cloudflare which will add an additional $200 a month (we will update our finances to reflect this) to our current costs. We will have a couple of months of cushion to pay for this service until things get tight, which is why we appreciate any and all support users feel like giving us! Unfortunately, for reasons beyond our understanding, Cloudflare is being especially slow in clearing up the issues on our account. We're still being throttled and @Holo hasn't received any new communication beyond the initial notice that his ticket would be transferred to the billing department.

It's not all doom and gloom, though! I'm happy to report that we some very good news to share:

The very fine folks at Path.net have generously decided to provide enterprise-grade DDoS mitigation and caching services for two of our North American servers for an entire year! North/South American traffic will be routed through their servers for optimal speed.

Just to give you an idea of just how amazing this is, consider that the service that they’re affording us for free for a year, 3Gbps worth of bandwidth for commercial grade DDoS mitigation and caching services, is worth $600,000 annually. You read that correctly, folks. I’m still not sure if Marshal Webb and his team realize how grateful we at MD are. It still surprises us sometimes how generous people are in helping us grow.

In exchange for this incredible service, all they have asked for is a mention in the footer of our home page, a shout out in this announcement, and coordination with our PR team to announce their sponsorship on social media. Personally, I wish there was more in our power that we could do. They have gone above and beyond helping us transition to their service. They even stepped in to help us in an attempt to figure out who DDoS’d MangaDex a second time! We are super appreciative of their support.

You can check out Path and the services that they offer here: https://path.net/

To be clear, this service will mostly only affect North American users at this time. I regret to say that any of our EU users that are having issues will not be able to have those resolved until Cloudflare resolves its communication problems. We've seen increases in speed when users manually select a server in your region in the reader settings. We are also currently working on a solution so that users don't have to manually change servers.

I wish I had a more definite timeline as to when we'll go from operating at 95% efficiency to 100%. For the foreseeable future, our current situation is the new normal. Thankfully, it's not that bad. Once again, if you are experiencing speed issues, change the location of the server to your region, i.e. North America, Europe. That should resolve most problems.

Happy reading!

Really nice, thank guys at path.net for the huge contribution and help.😍

Zum

Sweet baby Jesus that is an amazing gesture. Amazing work and thank you from a happy user 😍

Double-page supporter
that is a great news... an ads in exchange for DDoS prevention and extra service?... that is even better... too bad its only for america only...

Dex-chan lover
Wow! Congratulations of finding such sponsor and reading the value of what they provided left me agape. Damn...so good! I hope Cloudflare gets their poop together and finally let you guys give them money!

Man it's good to hear there's still good people on this world. Congrats ya'll for surviving the crisis (for now)

Group Leader
So does that mean you have identified the people/groups behind the DDOS(es) ?
Will you tell us if you do?
If you find that person/group, what are your plans?

Group Leader
A surprising (and positive) turn of events, nice to hear!

Staff
Admin
For those wondering why we decided to split our services between EU and NA like we have our reasoning is this:

By splitting our traffic we will have less of an impact on both services and thus more chance of the site not getting kicked off either, with the potential for renewal with Path.net in a year if we aren't too much of a burden. It also gives us room to grow on Cloudflare's Business package without the risk of throttling that we are on now.

Does this mean that EU users need to change server to NA manually everytime an slowing down-speed/DDOS issue happen until you guys able to upgrade your CF protection?

In that case, maybe you could make easier to change servers manually that won't required to access advance setting on reader.

Good, But I believe the price is incorrect, $600,000 a year is 1 exaggeration, I have 1 server of 100Gbps for 8k USD per month.
(https://www.fdcservers.net/dedicated-servers) [One example > 10k USD]
Note: Dedicated band not shared and unlimited 24/h use.
Note: 10k = 10.000USD

For well less than 100k, I get 1Tbps on 10 100Gbit ports

Double-page supporter
This is so wholesome that it made my day! how amazing! do the guys at Path have an account here? would be nice if they had an Official account.

Double-page supporter
@incpadns but I believe it is not for the servers but for the enterprise-grade services, routing, caches, anti-DDoS and customer service, enterprise-grade is always that expensive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread