Hajime no Ippo - The First Step

Power Uploader
The rest of the series was, and is currently being, scanlated by Manga Stream, so they won't be uploaded here.

Dex-chan lover
You can find further on than MS have done here:
http://hni-scantrad.com/eng/lel/?manga=Hajime+no+Ippo&chapter=Chapter+1211

Dex-chan lover
Well, I personally think this is an interesting direction. The fights started to lose all impact after a while, so this could be a sort of recharge. Morikawa is looking pretty healthy too, if that picture is anything to judge by.

Dex-chan lover
This manga is still great. You need to understand that it's much more than just a boxing manga, if you only care about boxing then you might be better off reading Ashita no Joe or something else. But i can say that the more i read manga the more i begin to appreciate what this one here brings to the table. It's slice of life yet not mundane, it's comedy, it's tragedy, it has a bit of everything, all the characters grow on you (even Itagaki), they feel like one big dysfunctional family, it's top tier.

Double-page supporter
man, when i read that arc about coach nekota, kamogawa, and yuki, the feels hit me hard man ;__;
dayumm

this just become...........well its just another drop..........really its strange to actually hate Ippo attitude after so long......... over 1000 chapters......a lot of time......well .......like Miyata i think its time to move on.......

Good bye

This manga is still great. You need to understand that it's much more than just a boxing manga, if you only care about boxing then you might be better off reading Ashita no Joe or something else. But i can say that the more i read manga the more i begin to appreciate what this one here brings to the table. It's slice of life yet not mundane, it's comedy, it's tragedy, it has a bit of everything, all the characters grow on you (even Itagaki), they feel like one big dysfunctional family, it's top tier.
Second to this.

I like the realistic side of this manga. It's annoying but it's fun.

Fed-Kun's army
@KajurN
SPOILER WARNING AHEAD for the Ashita no Joe manga:

I think maybe you ought to re-read Ashita no Joe. HnI is far more of a boxing manga than AnJ. AnJ is a manga about the past, the present and the future, and how every radically different person in the manga was seeing those times. Boxing was almost 100% metaphor in Ashita no Joe.
Take Joe, who had no real past, no comfort in the present, but whom Danpei struggled to lead towards tomorrow ("Tomorrow's Joe"). Danpei, he lost everything in the past due to not thinking about the future, and thus tried to destroy the present through his drinking, but found a way to deal with his present situation by showing Joe towards the future (but often ends up trying to protect him in the present instead). Mendoza, who had a presumably easy past (which we don't even get to see), a perfect present, and whose fighting style and attitude were all about preserving himself for a bright future (see how he always visited doctors and all), which can be said to embody the progressive and ambitious Japan that worked for a prosperous post-war society and had put WW2 and the past behind it, but who didn't understand Joe. There was the war orphan fighter, whose present was defined by the horrors of his past, but who didn't move towards a future. Or Rikiishi, who had truly had a bright present and future, but who felt he had to deal with his past, in Joe, in order to advance towards that future.

I think that if you re-read it and thought about the characters, fights, styles etc. in terms of what they represent as past, present and future, you'd get a lot more out of the story, and maybe understand better why it was so beloved in Japan, and why it's such a goddamn beautiful work of manga. I'm not entirely confident in my analysis and there's probably a lot more to it than I've managed to get (and a lot more that this short post has covered), mind you. But either way, Ippo is far more of a manga about boxing, and while boxing is a vehicle for Ippo's search for confidence and a place and all as a fatherless boy and later man, it's still a lot less metaphorical (especially since many real boxers come from such backgrounds).

Fed-Kun's army
Why hate Kumi? She's a goddamned saint who's sat around for years waiting for Ippo to man up while he thoughtlessly leads her on. He's a coward and a fool who doesn't dare pursue either one of his two possibilities: Kumi and world class boxing. It's been over 1200 chapters, can we please get some character development for this hopeless baldy? 'course, that's exactly what's happening right now. And also, of course, this is what the manga's supposed theme has been all along, as in Ippo's question: "What is strength?" "Son, stop grabbing leaves and start grabbing the girl and your dream."

Users who are viewing this thread