Is Isekai genre a low cost Shonen ?

For me, Isekai genre is what we can call a 'low cost shonen'.

- Isekai genre is imo a poorly written shonen, don't need to set up the backstory nor the background of the MC, nothing. All you need is a virgin 40 years old NEET and a very convenient truck-san and you have ayour setting

- Powers are usually "cheat abilities" given by goddess of the randomness which makes the MC-kun somewhat relevant. Cheat ability is the key to everything, any sub-plot will either remain undeveloped or be resolved by the cheat ability.

- Character development is by far the most laughable point. You were a lonely trash in your main world, why would it change in the new world ? You had 40 years to have some friends, how do you befriend the first person you see ?
Isekai authors took the "New year, new me" to another level.

In the end it's just a rant post about Isekai, I'm tired of reading the same mangas with a different skin and names.

The same MC, the same development, the same Mac's friends, Isekai became the paradise for lazy writers, what's the point of creating a coherent fantastic world, if you can just make it an Isekai and do whatever you like ?

Sorry bad Englando

I won't really refute your claims. But here's something I want to know. How do you define a story as an isekai genre?

Dex-chan lover
Isekai isn't a freaking genre or shonen exclusive, when will people learn? You definitely need to read more.

Fed-Kun's army
I mean isekai aside you see a lot of those traits in light novel adaptations in general. I wouldn't say its the framing device in particular which is the problem, rather its the fact that these works aren't really produced with quality in mind as much as they're produced to take advantage of whatever's popular currently while remaining somewhat distinguishable

Someone once gave an opinion that Isekai can be a genre or theme. I somewhat agreed with the explanation but I forgot what he said. But just you know: Isekai is not a genre. It becomes a trend because it grows on its own. Simply put, it's not far from the Fantasy sub-genre.

In the end it was just a rough post about Isekai, I was tired of reading the same mangoes with different skins and names.
Actually, you got my support. I don't dispute all the points you pointed out above. I also feel that way. I'm a little sad to see this type is more popular than the series that is really made more serious, organized, and has in-depth research. What I want to say, there are still many out there that deserve attention. But I can't help but see the tastes of modern people.

Isekai became the paradise for lazy writers
I agree that this type of manga makes people lazy to write. They will tend to follow the popular market flow. But in the viewpoint of a businessman, this is an advantage. They will continue to grow until their popularity disappears <- how long do I have to wait for this.

what's the point of creating a coherent fantastic world, if you can just make it an Isekai and do whatever you like ?
What a blow. You will anger all Isekai fans! lol

This is it..
Isekai carries a dream that will never be real and can be more sad than a fangirl who craves his idol. Fantasizing about fate sounds ridiculous. They raised the crucial issue of society: the Hikikomori. But it still can't be compared to seinen manga. They are in a different league. Especially if alluding to the approach taken.

There was no massive development. By appearing in various forms, Isekai could lose its charisma because there was no clear distinction.
Isekai is no more than a Doujir or Fanfic but more edgy. Isekai cannot be the main intake just as you read many novels on Wattpad. There are rules but the literacy is free and unbound.

I'm not sure, I once challenged myself to try many Isekai readings. But nothing attracts interest.

Dex-chan lover
@Foxy

I could also add my personal hate with the setting, the self cucking beta male main characters.

I want to say, in MOST isekai you find these pathetic excuses of male characters as the protagonist, these wimps get shat on most of the time by their harem girls (if they have a harem) or the FMC... they get bloody noses every time they see skin of females and... WHEN THEY HAVE GIRLS LITERALLY BEGGING FOR SEX THEY RUN FROM IT.

Nah dude, any normal human being in the male department would fuck ladies left and right if they were throwing themselves at ya... fuck your social / moral laws from whatever country you spawned from cuz you are at another fucking universe with completely different laws.

This is why I fucking praise all manga and specifically isekai where the author bring sex to the fucking story. You know what all of the isekai that have the MC fucking their girls have which the others dont? CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT I know right crazy...

Fed-Kun's army
Well, it's not like the usual shounen can't be trash and repetitive too.

Fed-Kun's army
Isekai for shonen?

i though isekai was for old guys who wants to change cause they regret what they have done for almost 40 years of their life.
then they dream and isekai was created for them to renew?

asides from the jokes.

I think it's not a low cost shounen. there are just lots of shitty isekai that is climbing up since it was the hype i think?
and it targets teenagers and such?

I agree with that. However, instead of low-cost shonen I'd say low-cost fantasy as these problems are not exclusive to the shonen side of the isekai setting (mostly male MC comes to the other world and fights the big evil) but also the more shoujo side (mostly female MC comes to the other world that turns out to be an otome game world). This becomes even more evident with novels, where, if you are not paying attention what you just clicked on, you could get confused which of the isekai novels you just read - they just tend to be so similar. With manga you have the art to help tell the stories apart (to some extend).
I find this rather sad, as I like the idea of reincarnation/transportation into a different world, but if the worlds are all the same generic high fantasy worlds and the stories all walk the same path, it gets bland.

Group Leader
Yes, I'll defintely agree that those are the symptoms of a bad isekai. But what makes a good isekai (and there are many good isekai manga) are linked in a way to this. What you described can also be called a "Mary Sue" character, they're perfect, do everything right and the world revolves around them. You've seen them probably in fan fictions or bad novels etc. What makes a good isekai is a natural character and something larger than them, political turmoil, a war, and so on. Some do it really well.

As for it's popularity, I always return to Araki's book about manga (Jojo creator) When he was starting out, Dragon Ball had created a huge surge in tournament manga, but he never followed it. They were superficial and lazy in his eyes. From what I see, there's always going to be trends in manga, but they will never be followed by actually good mangakas

OP character is fine,but if it reach garbage tier mary sue then its a problem

Dex-chan lover
@goronyanpai
What a blow. You will anger all Isekai fans! lol

I'm an isekai fan, but what he wrote is true, so why would I get angry? Most isekai is rather poor objectively judged. However, I never started to read a single isekai manga (or any manga in general) expecting some Nobel laureate quality. It can be trash, but if it's entertaining trash, it's enough for me. Of course it's a good thing if light novel authors and mangaka want to develop as professionals (a professional simply being someone who is paid to do something, like Hydraulic Press Channel teaches us), but at the end of the day, it's entertainment business, so technically being entertaining is everything that is needed.

Dex-chan lover
Well not all isekai is bad, we have a lot of isekai might be because it's popular or a new genre, there's almost no one in this genre before 2000.

A lot of isekai "genre" is using Japan technology and/or culture to 'help' the protagonist in his/her fantasy world. Because yes, that way is the fastest thing to do so the story will progress to where the readers will getting interested in the problems of what the story have, not to read the boring background. This thing kill the creativity and imagination for the reader who seeks those, and in other it's lack of immersion.

Isekai genre is unique, but too much make it not special anymore. If they want to help a country that need their knowledge and technologies, I think they don't need to go to the fantasy world, of course if it's a real country they need to research first, but what I want to say is, I still dumbfounded if i can use those Japanese technology for my house, since I'm not from Japan or any first world countries.

Dex-chan lover
@MoonlightFairy Using that "Japanese" tech/cuisine/culture (which very often isn't Japanese to begin with) to aid the new world is a form of light nationalism, which finds a good reception among the Japanese readers. All of those series are written for the Japanese, after all. If foreigners happen to like them, it's only extra, and they simply have to stomach reading about how introducing "Japanese" things into the new world will automatically make it a better place.

Dex-chan lover
Of course it's a Japanese, you said it yourself it was for Japanese readers. But sorry for my lack of knowledge, I'm just noone, don't mind me sharing my opinion.

@Kronix
specifically isekai where the author bring sex to the fucking story
*wheeze*
I feel you, really. But I don't think it's just tied to sex. In general, when you find a good manga or if it's interesting enough, when the author throws silly things in it, it feels ridiculous. Manga, novels, films, everything is fiction. But common sense still has to be used. That's one of the best-selling author, Jerry B. Jenkins, said.

Of course it's a good thing if light novel authors and mangaka want to develop as professionals
Dedication.
Let's say that distinguishes one mangaka from another.

It's a bit off the track, but I like how a type of Cuvie which often works on H project (many people say) can make an amazingly good story with Kenrantaru Grande Scene. There are many best examples that decides to do something normal. When they tried it, the series was successful, popular, and could sell well. This experience speaks.

Prioritized entertainment. But if it's taken seriously, why not? They are recognized, their ability to tell stories is praised. Each author must have thirst to be able to pursue the target. This is an ordinary demand from the community. The challenge to awakening themselves. No matter they do it only for hobbies or not.

I will not speak to determine how many authors object. I mingle in various communities and see how messy literacy can be more successful than people who do it with sweat and blood (some have escaped from the puddle).
I would really be sad if someone said: that's how the industry works.

Anyway, back to the main topic. I feel grateful for the author who don't follow trends. If a kind of Japan's national treasure, Naoki Urusawa, mixes high fantasy ideas like this, I will be mentally disappointed. I like those who are stubborn in their own ways. But if anyone decides to dedicate themselves to Isekai. Well, it's okay.

And this brings up what @Kaarme said too. In the end it was entertainment. Yes. I think this is just a matter of perspective and how you enjoy it.

*I'm so contradictory lol*

@MoonlightFairy
The best Isekai for me is NARNIA.
^no need to be Japanese stuffs.
I challenge you to change my mind.

Dex-chan lover
That isn't manga, and this topic is for nowadays issue about isekai that becomes not unique anymore. There's also a lot of manga before we know isekai before, like Doraemon adventures, Nobita that often wandering in the fantasy world thanks to Doraemon's device. Digimon, the first one, about bunch of kids wandering to the digital world, even Crayon Shinchan had a movie where he transfered into another world. so yeah, if that's of yours count, then I agree with you. I mean, a TALKING GENTLE LION!

With how many Isekai i read and still willing to read it my specific standard has become into "Protagonist that won't make you question why you're still reading this genre".

Users who are viewing this thread