Fruits Basket

Dex-chan lover
This is a classic, of course. It took me a while to read it--I'd heard about it, but it sounded kind of lame. Eventually I figured I should at least give it a try--and I was hooked. The main character is a gorgeous archetypal example of the unstoppable cheerful heroine--she shows you just how awesome that character type really is, and why they've been used so often. Meanwhile the characters and complex problems of the family are intriguing, tense, and often poignant. But there's a leavening of pretty funny comedy. All in all, it's great stuff. Highly recommended.

Power Uploader
All chapters uploaded, please shoot me a PM if any issues are found.
Enjoy!

Fed-Kun's army
Jesus christ. I haven't even read this legendary manga and now they announce full anime remake.

Dex-chan lover
HEY, I ACCIDENTALLY FOUND THE CLASSIC PIECE WHOSE ANIME HOOKED A PART OF MY CHILDHOOD IN. THANKS.

Now that I’ve watched to new remake, I’m feeling nostalgic...reading the manga again brings me back to my high school days. ╰(*´︶`*)╯

It's a classic. Tohru is one of the only super cheerful/optimistic shoujo MCs that is not just totally obnoxious. Everyone wants to be her, but nobody can. Rereading it now that I'm older, I don't really love the male characters like I used to, but they're charming enough and it's worth reading. Every shoujo fan should at least read Fruits Basket and Boys Over Flowers if not some of the earlier stuff like Rose of Versailles imo. They might look a bit off to the modern reader but they're fundamental and still very good!

Fed-Kun's army
I read Fruits Basket maaaaaaaaaaaaaany years ago when it was first published and I was just a kid so I thought Ren was such a bitch and deserved the hatred. Now that I'm older and a mom, I still think she's a bitch for hating her own kid, but she really did love Akira albeit possessive. She also did warn Akito about the "bond" and how it's not a real "connection". It's a shame that she couldn't convey it properly, but she did call it. The REAL mega bitch is the head housekeeper. Now her... she deserves to go to hell.

Best character development I have read in a manga. Hint of mystery such a sweet ending. Added to one of my top manga all together!

Reread this after almost reading it a decade ago. As an adult I feel like I can better understand the characters and feel an even greater depth for them. Even when I disliked them, I still feel such love. For their growth

I remember reading this in the past and one of the manga that i have read while i am still pretty new to reading manga so it have a sentimental value to me and that i wouldn`t forget this manga

Lmaoo i wonder after reading this in the past i subsconsciously try not read any manga that is similar to this think emoji this manga was really great after all the story and the character development and how the author even add what happen to them in the future old me was funny

At least now i am happy that most yuri manga getting translated now is not always angsty anymore and have more variety now being a yuri fan in the past was hard as most yuri manga was literally angst , drama and tragedy like reeee

old me reading this kind of genre and then subsconciously not ready any angsty manga for a few years before i started reading angsty manga again
current me only read yuri now because i realized that i am aromantic and that i like girls kusa

For unknown reason i can`t reread it anymore so i would just leave it as it when i have read it when i was still in elementary school and the memories of it

Another classic must read for shoujo lovers, when i was little i cried while reading this and learn about so many life lessons.

Now that i re-read it when im an adult, it's not actually my cup of tea anymore (lol), the story is as great as ever but this series is too poetic & melodramatic.

Tohru is just another Naruto, the forgiving Mary Sue that can charm you with simple words... well Tohru is a good Mary Sue tho but i can see how unrealistic and too perfect she is for some people.
Yuki x Machi and Shigure x Akito are the pairing that i just can't associate into, feels too forced because the author loves to pair who with who, expecially for Yuki while avoiding the whole NTR with Kyo & Tohru.
Akito's redemption is underwhelming, i just can't see myself sympathizing her, she's just changing because everybody starts to leave her and that's it, overall it's too flowery for her which is kinda unfair for everyone who's badly hurt because of her shit.

Fed-Kun's army
@papperless I totally agree on the Akito thing, everyone just forgives her both in the fandom and in the story

@Lo0py Yea, hope readers don't generalize what Akito did can be solved with simple "sorry". She just let it go because she knew she already lost the fight. I also find it silly to blame on her mother (Ren) for her attitude, Akito can freely make choices on what she wants to be, but both of them are simply choose to be despicable.

Im totally unsatisfied that she never actually atone for what she did while inflicting long pain to people like Rin, Akito deserves more than a hard slap to the face. Honestly i'll be satisfied if she died in heroic way protecting zodiac members or something instead of... this.

Fed-Kun's army
@papperless Exactly! I would have liked to some repercussions for Akito's actions. Like maybe her struggling with the zodiac members leaving her and living their lives since for so long she thought they belonged to her and lived only for her

For those who love the infinite naivety of the heroine as well as the characters who have suffered the worst drama of humanity and the reversals of extreme situations.
Like Touro's mother betrayed by a redheaded man but who still manages to seduce the one who should be angry at him at the end of the story, disgusting!

Code:
Mod Note: Please use spoiler tags when talking about chapter-specific or future events.

This lowly reader remembers reading this series years ago, and fondly recalls the memories. However, the spoilers in comments are ridiculous. Why is only the most recent one censored?

Wow this manga is as old as I am well I'm still older though,I finished this a long time ago it was good but I wouldn't reread it

Users who are viewing this thread