The Ravages of Time

Power Uploader
Uploading c001-494 with individual chapter names. Will take a few days though.

Dex-chan lover
I still consider this manga underappreciated.

Banned
I think the best thing about this manga is how everyone is thinking the strategy in a calm and rational manner, it makes the victory more impressive rather than have idiot generals got outsmarted every time

Fed-Kun's army
The coolest characters, the wildest fighting, the smartest strategies, and great art.
Everyone are so similar. They're not "good" or "bad", they're all fighting with what they have.
They have extraordinary skills, or incredible intellect in the art of war. The winner is the one who brings it. I cheer for every side (not always)
So when the stragetists have made some sick strategies, the others have countermeasures, and everything unravels like a mystery to the reader.
The comic is so smart, that you'll get smarter by reading it.
The author didn't "make" the story of the Three Kingdoms of China, but he sure made it incredibly interesting to read about!

Can someone tell me is this worth read?
I have read chapter 1 long ago, but kinda lost at first so I hold this
and now in what volume? according to MU, 500 chapters still around 10s
while the manhwa has gone way more than 60

It seems politics galore. An insane amount of name to memorise.
I want to read this, because it has many good reviews

Power Uploader
@goronyanpai
It is a story that mixes death note/legend of galactic heroes layered plans and counter-plans until none knows whats going on, with fun and neat action. It also goes all filosofy on you (in a good way).

It started out as a wacky shounen but gradually turns into a political/strategical seinen with manly awesome men and legends.

The characters are confusing, mostly because there are so many of them and you don't have a historical reference.

There are plans (and work being done) to create character- and recaps-pages as well as evolving maps for the volumes, but they wont be up to proper quality for a while.

To quote the translator (Merc): "If you’ve known some version of the Three Kingdoms legend and would like a view from a modern native Chinese speaker, give the first three regular volumes a try. And if you are not hooked by the end of volume three, this series is not for you. If you are hooked, then this series will entertain you for decades."

He recommends that you either know some of the the time period or have read some other take on Three Kingdoms first.

I started out reading the series with no prior knowledge and it made it harder to keep track of the characters, the locations etc. I still enjoyed it but looking back I would have enjoyed it more if I had known more of either the classic tale or the period beforehand. Or if there were better maps, recaps etc (which we plan to fix).

Oh yea I am really biased, I scanlate it.

(Not really sure what you meant with '10s' though)

@illyches
So is this really taken from the romance of the 3 kingdoms?
if so, it is not strange if I feel a bit lost at the beginning. I don't know anything about it. Do I have to have a deep and thorough base?
Seems like it needs a lot of references. I can tell.

If comparing with other historical manhwa, is this very good? Such as, as we know that historical manga/manhwa, whether it is entirely derived from real events; from sequence to end or there is also a little change and the addition of something strange to form the atmosphere.

What I want to ask, put aside the accuracy of the story and so forth (though it would be great if it's really complex and thorough). Is this entirely pure history?

And as you say, it is like shounen. But if it ends like what you say, it seems interesting enough to read.

Uh, it is okay, forget it.

Power Uploader
@goronyanpai
I'm proably not the one to ask since I havnt read R3K or any other adaptation than this, but I'll try:

The Han dynasty ended in 220 AD, which resulted in China being divided into three kingdoms.
Romance of the Three Kingdoms is a 14th-century historical novel which tells the tale of how this happened, is in part historically accurate and in part fictional.

The author for Ravages of Time makes sure the key characters appear and the main battles are represented etc.
But for HOW those battles are fought, the characters motivations, speech patterns, strategies, philosophical views, appearance and level of bad assery... those he abuses his artistic license to make this story really good.
He introduces organisations like the handicapped warriors and the eight geniuses which didnt exist either historically or in R3K.

As stated in the last post the fan community is working on things to make it easier for new readers, like evolving maps for each volume (this is from v11, so it has at least one spoiler):
https://mangadex.org/chapter/326745/3 (third page)

And to quote another fan on what he thinks makes the series special:
"1. Convoluted Scheming
2. Profound Philosophizing
3. Incisive Social Commentary
4. Extensive Allusions and References"

Ofc going in without prior knowledge the fourth part will fly over your head. But as someone who still doesnt know much about R3K or the history, I think it is one of the better series out there.

We have a lot of people in the discord channel who can give you their view on it and the series: http://ravagesoftime.info/discord

@illyches
Thank you for your explanation, it helps me a lot!
I'm prepared for the worst, I mean, ready to make my brain upside down
But it seems like it will take a long time to catch up, uh huh

Keep it up!

Double-page supporter
Well, I guess I also have some experiences that I could share. I read this series with no knowledge of what 3 Kingdom is... I'm a history fans, but not much with eastern region history. So, I read this purely by reviews from mangaupdates and the rating it has (I must admit, those reviews and rating mostly hit the spots if the genre suits ur taste).

Fortunately, I'm hooked instantly after seeing the first scene of Liu Bei. This definitely not your average manhwa after seeing how each character spoke with eloquent banter. Then after the manhwa continue its arc, it started philosophizing many society aspects along with the grandiose action of some characters. I can't help myself but to try learning many historical fact and its reference, hoping that i could appreciate this series more. And believe me, it's worth it.

I guess that's all from me... truly, this series is golden, and I recommend this series to anyone who like to think and contemplate about life.

Sincerely,
Another RoT Fan

Power Uploader
I. AM. SO. HAPPY. THAT. THIS. IS. NOW. HERE!

Thank you @iilya_ for uploading everything from the start. I read it for a long time, until I realised that I could no longer read it unless I use an online manga reader. And not all readers have them. The one that does, well, let's just say the quality put me off. So, THANK YOU!

Have you been downloading all the chapters from the beginning?

Power Uploader
@sereneione - Happy that you like the series.

Regarding quality there are two of us working on replacing the older versions with better quality ones + updated translations. So hopefully there will only be improvements going forward.

I only started collecting the chapters since around two years ago, but most are directly from the scanlators sites and even for those gotten from other sources should be the best quality available atm.

Check out Total War Three Kingdoms if anyone is interested, its going to be one of the very best Three Kingdom's game set in China

Users who are viewing this thread