Machida-kun's World - Vol. 2 Ch. 8

Dex-chan lover
Sensei's chances would increase if she stopped smoking. The Japanese smoke more than they should in general, but when you hit 40, a good health isn't anymore to be taken for granted.

His internal reflections showed so much depth, and I can very much relate to it. This manga is quite realistic in this sense.

v1m

Hopefully Inohara-san finds out about those pictures, ah, the drama.

This chapter made me reflect a lot on when it becomes a negative thing to feel pity for someone instead of just empathy/compassion. Many people get angry at the thought that someone views them with pity. Hell, I know it's bothered me before. Yet is there really something implicit in the concept of pity that is offensive? Maybe it implies that you aren't respecting how the object of your pity is trying their best despite the unfortunate and "pitiable" circumstance that elicits your empathy in the first place?

I would also disagree with the notion that feeling pity for someone means one dismisses the person or thinks themselves superior in some fundamental way. At least that's not the connotation of the feeling for me. But then, why have I ever worried about being pitied by others in the past? Damn what an interesting little word.

Dex-chan lover
@j48dmxk39 There is nothing negative about pitying someone, as long as you're really pitying them and not mocking them instead. However, acting on that pity is not necessarily a good thing to do. Accepting someone's pity is aknowledging that they have something that you don't, something which you want/need enough that you have to depend on someone else to obtain it. In other words, it's an ego problem.

If you really have pity for someone, you have to remember that they might not want your pity, something which they are perfectly entitled to. If you're forcing your kindness on someone because you pity them (which people often do), you're just stroking your own ego instead of actually trying to help. I think that's why pity is usually viewed negatively.

Users who are viewing this thread