Make the "Official English" link stand out more

Dex-chan lover
I just realized this exists after months of being here.

Would be great if the link is in darker color or the font is one size bigger. I think that it should stand out a little more considering that we're unable to read the rest of the official chapters on MD.

Double-page supporter
Be honest, you just didn't bother to read "links" field, did you?

It's like that Goblin Slayer request. There's 3-5 line note regarding english chapters but people still ask for them. Why? It's simple - they CBA to read description. Same here, no matter how much will it "stand out" there will always be people who won't notice it.

Edit: well, maybe move it to very first place for better visibility...

VIP
I've always been aware of those links. But I've also been here since when the only links in that section were a "MAL" and a "MU" link (no pretty icons even, just plain text), so idk, maybe it's a frog in the boiling pot thing. A lot more external link types have been added since then. lookit all these requests for more external links

Maybe the reason it's harder to notice now is that there are too many flashy icons, and for some reason that puts a perception filter on this area that makes people's eyes just naturally skip over it? I don't have a problem with it though, I can see it just fine.

@DANDAN_THE_DANDAN if you only just noticed "Official English", be sure to watch out for "Bookwalker" links, too! Bookwalker is a pretty cool manga ebook store/online reader with lots of official English translations, although the web reader is a bit more awkward to use than the one here, imo. The Japanese version of the site has doujinshi as well. e.g. this AkyuSuzu one-shot by Nakatani Nio.

(Side note: Would be nice to someday get proper i18n support for these links so that we can have "Official French", "Official Italian", etc. as well.)

Dex-chan lover
@BzzBzz

Be honest, you just didn't bother to read "links" field, did you?
In my defense, at the uncommon times in which I do, the mangas at which I paid a full sixty seconds to stare at blue texts would most likely be those of which have not received an official translation yet. And if I don't know that there is something that I should look at, then how am I supposed to start looking for it? It's something like that.

@ununseti Okay, will do.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@DANDAN_THE_DANDAN posted:

And if I don't know that there is something that I should look at, then how am I supposed to start looking for it? It's something like that.
You do realize that this same argument could be used for literally all of the different kinds of links. I can't say I'm convinced Official English in particular somehow requires special treatment.

I don't have a problem with it though, I can see it just fine.
Same. I have no problem at all.

Which parts should or need to be complained? I think each column is organized.
Honestly, if I need to be blunt, you just don't realize it. And you don't bother to see. It doesn't have to be stand out than other link.

Also, I agree what Teasday said.
Official English is there for information globally, as an additional element, "it has been licensed in English"...the language that can be reached by many readers in various countries. If you are interested you can visit the link, or you can wait when it is available in your own language or country.

Dex-chan lover
@Teasday

You do realize that this same argument could be used for literally all of the different kinds of links. I can't say I'm convinced Official English in particular somehow requires special treatment
Good point. I have no defense.

Group Leader
I believe official english should have special treatment. It's different from the other external links in that it tells you the manga is licensed in english, versus being a shortcut to an anime list site. Furthermore, official english publications of manga should be supported and people should be aware that these exist in particular so they can go buy the manga instead. I think the link could be in a separate category, or at least be a lot flashier. You know how scanlators sometimes say 'please support the authors by buying the manga when it's available...', as a scanlator focused site MangaDex should reflect those values too by making it reeeeeaaly easy for people to see it's available officially.

Miku best girl
Admin
We are going to split the links into different categories soon. This is why we haven't added as anilist and kitsu yet.

We will have categories for official places to read, retail, and external databases.

VIP
We are going to split the links into different categories soon. This is why we haven't added as anilist and kitsu yet.

We will have categories for official places to read, retail, and external databases.

+1 I like this idea.

Users who are viewing this thread