Outright bizarre mangas that are actually good

Group Leader
I took a quick glance through my list to find a couple possibilities, but idk that these suit how "weird" you're looking for:

Gokicha!! - about a cockroach who looks like a cute girl.
Scumbag Loser - a loser nobody likes is obsessed with smells. a girl he knows is dead shows up in his class, and she smells different than he remembers, so what's up with her now?

Contributor
Debusen - One of the best comedy manga that I've read, it's misunderstandings to the max!

Daidai wa, Hantoumei ni Nidone Suru - Bizarre yet wholesome? All of Abe Youichi's works are strange yet compelling

Dorohedoro - Ya can't miss this one, it's when wholesome meets guro (or maybe vice versa?), and they fit together really well

Tengoku ni Musubu Koi - I haven't really read much about Siamese twins, but this one takes the cake!

Hobgoblin - Majo to Futari - I don't even remember what the hell had happened but it was a funny bizarre manga

Kijin Gahou - Kago Shintaro makes the best guro-comedy manga imo

Ogeha - If disabled insect girls are your fetish

What am I doing, I should be studying for the exams

Edit: Ah, i totally forgot about The Wandering Dick, good choice @Ruiruru !

VIP
Seconding!
- Sore wa Tada no Senpai no Chinko is great, everyone should read it.
- Gokicha!! is a cute slice of life.
- Daidai wa, Hantoumei ni Nidone Suru: Abe Youichi's works are all so surreal and I love it.

Here are some of my recs:
- Chio's School Road: This is a popular one, so lots of people probably already know this one. It's about a girl who goes to school. But Assassin's Creed style, because she's been playing too many video games lately.
- Pop Team Epic: The classic troll manga.
- Nickelodeon: Very bizarre, but very good.
- Dansan Joshi: In the first chapter: Pooping is serious business. There are many styles.
- Sumire 16-sai!!: A manga about an ordinary high school girl named Yotsuya Sumire, except she's actually life-sized marionette controlled by an old man in black clothes.
- Mudazumo Naki Kaikaku: Political intrigue on a grand scale! World titans like Junichiro Koizumi (Prime Minister of Japan), George W. Bush, Kim Jong Il, and Vladimir Putin clash! ...Except it's in mahjong. (helpful mahjong wiki; practice against bots here)

Dex-chan lover
I love how I got four replies in a couple hours, hinting that this site is overfilled with weirdness. Thx, I'll check these out one by one when I feel like being a weirdo.

Group Leader
@Pika Haha. It is a very good manga!

Also just wanna say that I am a Piano is a great oneshot. :)

Seeing a lot of good titles here, I was about to recommend Sumire 16-sai myself.

Castle of the Dragon is easily among the weirdest I've read.
Not a lot of plot in Ashizuri Suizokukan, but I think it's still oddly satisfying.
Not sure if Believers or Anjuu no Chi are weird enough, but they're good all the same.
And I don't think Ultra Heaven is really that strange in itself, but the structure and paneling make it very trippy. It's quite a ride.

... Wait, this thread is five months old?
Ah well... It's already necroed, I might as well...

Hmmm, something that wasn't mentioned...
I doubt i can top anything already mentioned so i will aim for strange visuals.
Guyver
Anything by Nihei Tsutomu for example Blame! or BioMega

Dex-chan lover
@Pika
Hobgoblin - Majo to Futari -
Finding about a Tsubana manga I somehow didn't know existed is like stumbling across a 5$ note under your couch. I'll also recommend Dainana Joshikai Houkou, my personal favorite of the author's work. Props also to everyone recommending Douman Seiman, panpanya and Abe Youichi.

Bizzare manga/oneshot concepts that are not The Wandering Dick:
Kiss my Ass - Hemorrhoids-themed romcom. Edutainment at its finest.
Giriri Out - Consistent winner of the best manga synopsis. Stretching the definition of "good" here.
The maiden in love is a carnivore - Oddly enough, this isn't even the only oneshot to run with this concept.
Children can't choose their parents - ...

Weird/Unsettling:
End of Goldfish Kingdom - Not very weird plot-wise, but it's told in a way that always feels a bit off. Maybe it's just me, but either way it's good stuff.
Most of Jiro Matsumoto's stuff is great, but Becchin to Mandara is definitely his most surreal one.
Paranoia Street - Pretty standard Kago Shintaro fare.
Shiro Ame - A slightly darker Yoshitoshi ABe oneshot. Wish he'd actually decided to continue this one, since it's a cool concept.
Hoshi no Ponko to toufuya Reiko - Absurd degrees of tone whiplash.
Soil - David Lynch movie in manga form.
Saitama Chainsaw Girl - School shooting (Cutting? Sawing?) goes wrong. Also might be stretching the definition of "good" a little here as well.

Dex-chan lover
@DANDAN_THE_DANDAN
I decided to use the forums for the first time and started speeding through threads looking for a good topic. I saw you still made threads, so I didn't feel bad about bumping it.

Users who are viewing this thread