Q.E.D - Vol. 34 Ch. 67 - Bonaridou

Dex-chan lover
granny is so rich and powerful even if she went to jail she'll still have VIP treatment so no problem lol

Double-page supporter
Japan isn't the same as America, nachtness. Rich people don't get special treatment--though the facilities themselves aren't a hellhole in the first place.

Prison in Japan is somewhere in between prison for poor people in the US and prison for rich people in the US, being *closer* to the latter. In reality, female prisons in Japan are so easygoing that poorer old women commit crimes just to go there: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2018-03-16/japan-s-prisons-are-a-haven-for-elderly-women

Aggregator gang
While this isn't a bad manga, I really don't understand how it got so many chapters and pages published for so long.

Dex-chan lover
@Yautja
The same reason detective conan (case closed) still getting published from 1995-now. Most people just love mistery genre

@assembly79
If the victim is dead by crashing to the pole then the door being locked is not strange. But apparently the victim is dead by gunshot to his stomach which is something unlikely to do if you are planning to commit suicide, then the police theorize for murderer sitting beside the victim. Thus, it is strange for the door being locked as it left a question 'how did the murderer get out from the car?'

Fed-Kun's army
@AxelFaiz
Open the door, lock the door, get out, then close the door while being outside, the door will remain locked and now you're outside and free to go.

Isn't that how you normally lock a car door anyway or do I have some fundamental misunderstanding of how car doors work?

@assembly79
For the car to be running, the key would still need to be inserted into the ignition. If the key wasn't taken out, it couldn't have been used for anything involving the car door.

Fed-Kun's army
@Max1996 You don’t need a key to lock the door. You just need to flip/flick/press the lock. Otherwise locking the 3 passenger doors would be a hassle.

Well I guess there’s usually the central one for that. But still, normally every passenger can lock their own door too and they don’t need a key for that.

Power Uploader
@assembly79 I might be wrong, but most cars don't have the function of the car locking when the door is shut. Even after the door is shut, you need to flip the switch from the inside. This chapter came out in 2009, and it's just a simple country SUV, so there is probably no automatic lock installed in it.

Fed-Kun's army
@Gent Now I'm even more confused. Not being able to get into your car because the only key is inside (or the spare is back home) and there's no one inside to open the door for you is (was?) a pretty common occurence. All you need to do is open the door, lock the door while it's open, then close it from outside. It should remain locked and closed. Right?

Some house doors are also like that, usually for bathrooms. The kind where there's a button in the middle of the knob. Press it to lock, turn the knob to unlock. You can press the button while the door is open then close it from the "wrong" side. And there you have it. A totally not mysterious locked room.

Where have I made a mistake?
Is that not how door locks behave in this world?
Have I somehow walked into an isekai where door locks don't work the way I understand them?

@assembly79 I can't remember how car doors were back in 2009, but as far as my own experience with my parents' car goes, I doubt you can lock the door while the car door is still open. You can lock it while you're inside (your own door, or the driver's door can lock the whole car) or when everyone's out. Perhaps with this SUV, if you tried locking the door first then closing it, the lock would protrude out and you won't be able to close the door with the lock in the way.
I get what sort of lock you meant, esp with the bathrooms, but even now it's not that common. And as far as I know, that's only applicable to doors with knobs; car doors are fitted with flaps or grips, not turning knobs.

I'm sure there are door locks like the ones you mean, but also locks where it's weirder.
Maybe you have walked into an isekai, I wouldn't know. In any case, enjoy your day.

Fed-Kun's army
@CrystaI When I started the question I thought everyone would agree with me. That literally everyone who replied disagreed was... quite unexpected. Not that I'm saying everyone else is stupid, on the contrary I was genuinely starting to question my sanity (or perhaps just my memory). That I stopped checking this website for a while might or might not be a coincidence.

The comparison with bathroom doors wasn't meant to suggest that the internal mechanism was the same, just that you interact with them in a similar way, to reiterate: you can trigger the lock mechanism while it's open and then close it because there's nothing preventing you from doing that and it will stay locked. The main difference, beside the form, would be that knob of locked bathroom doors usually can't be turned at all while the handle of a locked car door can be pulled just that the door won't open.

The one thing I'm curious about it: as far as you know, what will happen if you do the thing I described?

I guess one possibility would be that if you try doing what I suggested the lock would spring open again. Is that what happened in your case? But that wasn't explained at all and if anything would imply a more advanced mechanism (in contrast to @Gent 's comment about the chapter being somewhat old).
At one point I wondered if the author (or the people here) has never been in a car before (would that be offensive?) but if this were the case it might actually be the opposite, that we are so used to the modern world to the point that we think that's the default and thus we don't bother explaining it.

But that still raises of the question of how would you lock a car from outside? These days the most common way is of course by a remote that is usually attached to the key but the battery can run out so we still need a backup mechanism. I've never known a car that needs that key to lock it. Keys are only used to unlock the car.

@assembly79 as I mentioned before, I'm not an expert on cars nor do I remember checking if I can lock a car door from the outside without the key or sensor. As far as my own understanding goes, older cars do not have a remote/sensor to unlock or lock it from afar, only by key - by manually inserting the key into the (I assume the driver's) car door and locking it. Older cars from the current time, which would be the newest models back then (hence Gent's comment about it being a old chapter - because back then, these sort of cars were the newest, most modern models.)

As far as I know, if you lock the door (by pressing a button or whatever) before closing it, the door wouldn't close because the lock would be protruding out of the side of the car door, causing it to not close into the car. I hope I've managed to explain this clearly 😅 and wasn't confusing in any way.

Well yes these days, if you have a spare remote you can easily lock the door from the outside, but remotes were highly likely not available for older cars. Even though they felt like someone was in the passenger seat beside the victim, since there wasn't a way to lock the door from the outside back then, and no other sign of foul play, the police concluded it was a suicide.

We're not trying to question anything, merely stating things according to what we know. Hope you're feeling better now!

Fed-Kun's army
@Crystal I wish someone with access to a car can help chime in, because apparently neither of us does. It seems silly that we can't agree on how something as ubiquitous as a car door works. It's too bad the author didn't bother explaining. Maybe because all cars in Japan work the same way due to the law or something, or perhaps the author assumes all car behaves the same way.

I tried search ("Googling") about this but it's so difficult, the most common hit was about how to unlock a car if you're accidentally locked out. Which if anything proves that it's a normal, common occurrence. How you can accidentally lock yourself out, though, is also not easy to find. One possibility is of course you simply lose the key, but I'm pretty sure the most common case is leaving the key in the ignition.

Admittedly, I was wrong in one regard. Apparently it's possible to use the key (not the remote) by inserting and turning it. But it's of course just another way of doing it and not at all the only way. And the reason I don't know is because I never had to do that. I've locked a car many times without using the key nor the remote. Although now that I think about it, in one case simply closing the door would cause the lock to spring open again. But there is still a workaround, pull the handle while closing the door. This seems to be modern-ish (last 10-20 years) invention to idiot-proof the car so you can't accidentally lock yourself out.

Still, I'm not aware of any car having a metal protrusion on the door that prevent it from closing. It's common in houses, especially front doors, but car doors behave more like bathroom doors.

Sorry this post is so long. Honestly, I intended to keep this brief as I just want to just end this fruitless conversation, after all as any detective would know, we need some evidence.

The funny thing is that, in some stories we have the hero at the end showing the culprit that "Hey, you can do this you know, bey you didn't know that!" "Whaaaaat!!"
Wish I can do that....

@assembly79 well someone with access to a modern, new model car wouldn't necessary help a ton, as again, the car in the chapter was likely a common if not the newest model back then in 2009. So what's possible now might not be possible back then. It does seem silly, I agree, but how car doors lock isn't something that I'd say is important in life that needs to be agreed upon, so let's simply agree to disagree on this point - you have your thoughts on it, I have mine.

The protrusion I was referring to is the activated lock, actually; again, a mechanism I have no solid proof or research to back me up on, merely my memory of how car doors and their locks worked back in 2009.

But once again, let us agree to disagree on this point, and as you said, end this conversation here. Hope you have a good day, assembly79.

@Crystal @assembly79

He probably didn't have a relatively new car, considering he was a broke dude in debt. Most of the cars my family or I have owned since I can remember have been Japanese (90s Tercel, 2000 Mazda, 2002 Sentra) and you could lock them with the keys in the ignition. In fact, since it wasn't as common to have two keys for a car, it was an infrequent occurrence that somebody would accidentally leave their keys in the car (ignition or dropped out of the pocket while getting out) and lock the door, needing a locksmith to come get it back open. Cars of the time didn't always know when people were inside and you had to be able to lock it while you were driving for safety reasons. The first car I remember that didn't let you do that was a 2004 Ford Escape. I haven't tried with my 2007 Highlander but I could tonight or tomorrow.

However, even then you couldn't do that with all cars by default, especially fancier ones. However, you can either mess with the computer on more modern cars or physically change the lock circuitry (not as hard as it may seem, the wires are sometimes exposed) to allow you to do it.

In any case, I think this is moot. I don't think the author knew how the car works (or possibly any car) because he didn't even draw this one consistently. Pages 5, 6, and 85 all show the hubcaps and they're different each time. The rear lights show up on 6 and 85 and they don't match at all. Sometimes it's two-door and sometimes four. It looks like a 90s Corolla on page 85. It's definitely not a Corolla on page 6.

Users who are viewing this thread