Radiant - Vol. 5 Ch. 31 - The Merchant Barons

Rol

Group Leader
Alternative chapter title: "Grimm Ex Machina".

Contributor
This is Seth's own fault for going on an adventure without a Grimm. Grimm is a staple in any traveler's inventory

Group Leader
There are some problems with the tl, like you can't always translate French expressions directly in English, you have to find their equivalent in english. In any case the redraw and typeset are still good, a good point for you. If you guys have a discord I'd gladly join ?.

Rol

Group Leader
@TheMinester Could you give me a few examples of some of those problems in this chapter please, I'm always willing to learn.
And no we don't have a discord, sorry.

I think @Batora07 or @Jugo-kun have one though, you might want to ask them.

Group Leader
@Rol Personnaly, as a French native, i think your translation is very good, it match perfectly with the French text (it will be a little harder after because there will be an important point in the Seth-Mélie relationship, because Mélie vouvoie Seth in the manga and Seth ask her to tutoies him, and i think this notion of vouvoie and tutoie isn't in English :/)

Rol

Group Leader
Thanks and yeah, I don't think it translates well, it's kinda hard to do. Maybe I should have made her sound slightly more formal than him since the beginning but that's pretty subtle and in the end I think most people wouldn't have noticed.

Group Leader
@Jugo-kun @Rol It matches the french text yeah but direct tl doesn't make it fluent in english, you can't always literally tl in english. The pace is something very important in translations. And as I said expression can't be direct translations because most have equivalent in english.
As for the "vouvoiement" I'd say it would be better to explain it at the end of a chapter as a translator note because no it doesn't exist in English so the better way imo is to explain how it works to readers and then why Seth would react strangely when Mélie will start to "tutoie" him for the first time.
Note: it would be hard for me to send screenshots here so if you have any other places I could send them and discuss it with you (maybe a discord account where we could talk in pm).

Rol

Group Leader
@TheMinester Thing is, I already know all of this and try to apply it as best as I can to my translation, which is why I asked for just one or two examples to see what I did wrong specifically.
But anyway, I appreciate you trying to help and I'll take it into consideration and pay more attention to those details in the future, thanks.

Dex-chan lover
@lionfromnorth
Well all we saw was a redline from a wound caused by a “miracle“ weapon, no body was recovered or mentioned afterwords by either groups(not 100% sure) so typical fantasy rules apply, she’s dead till the plot says she not dead.

Users who are viewing this thread