Hibari no Asa - Vol. 2 Ch. 14 - Talk 14

Glad she got out of there. I hope she thrives from here on out

@himeleth whilst I agree that everyone around her is just simply too shallow for simple words to comprehend... but to be honest, only 2 people were, in a least sense, able to notice what's really going on. The first was Ken-chan's ex gf, she knew it yet didn't do shit for some reason then brushes it off as a simple house problem in the end (so yeah also included in the list) and there's the other one, the guy who approached Hibari in ch. 11. Albeit not really knowing but knows enough that the person is more than just the looks itself and the fact that this kind of treatment can literally break a person's will, he literally wanted to help her way out of this, as implied in his monologue "3 years is enough to break someone" but alas, according to his next monoluges "but 3 years is far too short to save someone; I can't save anyone, I can't help anyone" implying that he feels like he has no power or like he doesn't know what to do or where to start (PS: was really hoping for the guy to actually do something albeit he got a bit pushed away by Hibari, can't blame her tho, for someone who was abused, it would be really hard for her to comprehend and appreciate a helping hand)

PS: The mom and Ken-chan are the worst considering they're Hibari's family. Especially the former, since it's her husband abusing their daughter

There are literally no redeeming qualities in any of these characters, except Hibari. This girl doesn't have a single person that ever really gives a shit about her, and it's a shame that she didn't even meet a genuine friend who cared about her well being.

I was sincerely hoping for the teacher to do something later on... but no :(

This story is so sad. It's so sad because the subtleties and the nuance and tragedy are at a level that almost anyone could have experienced before. Any one of us could have been in either the situation of being broken or in the situation of being next to someone who is breaking (and not helping).

:(

This was an amazing read. Every character was so full of drive and contradictions, they were all so believable that it hit even harder. The ending really was a bucket of cold water.
And the afterword was just brilliant. Hopefully Hibari can have a moment in her life when she does not have to keep on holding her breath.
Thank you so much for translating.

overall a REALLY good manga on rape culture, taking very real instances of people who perpetuate it and then the victim blaming. its so fucking sad that hibari had to “hold her breath” the entire time, but as the author said, they wanted to tell the story of someone who died but without being killed….in this case hibari was constantly being assaulted and even though so many people knew, no one did anything about it. i really commend the author for writing such a heavy story that is really important, i hope hibari saves herself<3 also, i hope Every Single character except hibari gets bad fucking karma i hated all of them so fucking much.

thanks for translating this!

An utterly fantastic series, featuring both Tomoko's signature incredible writing, and her feel for real, multifaceted characters trying to deal with their own experiences, and her incredible art: by the lord, the table of contents in volume two is beautiful.

It's hard to see, sometimes, past our own issues that we are dealing, or trying to deal with, to see the issues others are struggling with. So rarely do we do so, and sometimes, when we try, we accept their "I'm ok." as fact, without digging any deeper, reasoning: "If they weren't, they would tell me." But we know, deep down, that no one ever wants to inconvenience someone by being the person to say "No, I'm not ok." Even less do we want to be the one put in the spotlight, ill equipped to help someone who confides in us.

The truth is that it's hard to help another human being on the edge. And sometimes, if we stop digging, thinking our paltry efforts enough, we pat ourselves on the back for helping, oblivious to the still-existant turmoil we ignore. I think this was at the front of her mind when she wrote the afterword, specifically "I never want to give up on trying to be a good person." Because, just because we helped out once, doesn't mean we don't need to help out again.

To end, I'm surprised to see so many interpreted the end as Hibari living: I thought the black backgrounds, the repetition of "I held my breath to be ok" and the afterword made clear her miserable fate.

Dex-chan lover
I guess people just wanted to think positively, but yeah it's heavily implied that Hibari's live didn't end happily. I want to see their reaction though, especially her mom and Kan. I hope she at least disturb the graduation party so everyone will have a bad memory.

Users who are viewing this thread