Dien Bien Phu

Contributor
Cool read. It's rare to get war stories in comic form so it's rad to see this one translated.

Contributor
My recollection of this was that after a little bit it leaned more towards "weird dark stuff happens" than towards the sort of sincere historical fiction the description had implied (not to say that lots of weird dark stuff didn't happen during the Vietnam war, but not this), and that the protagonist's overt pedophilia was too much for me to stomach.

A convenient point for the author to depict Vietnam, ignoring the Japanese invasion and bad things that happened then.

Aggregator gang
@comeonnow Us, Vietnamese, don't mention much about Japanese invasion. The wars with the French and US are more important since they lasted for decades. In our history textbooks, Japan is only mentioned in a few pages while Vietnam war and Anti-French Resistance War take up more than half of the books. Wars with Imperial China take up the rest of the book.

@miyako19 But the author here is Japanese. I could talk about how the Japanese invasion is what caused the later French attempts to reestablish control and then the US attempt to support the French. I could talk about that, but the major point is that the author is still Japanese. It would be like if there were a Japanese manga about the Korean War (between South and North) that just conveniently ignores the issues the Japanese caused. And yes, I know there probably is a manga exactly like that.

Double-page supporter
@comeonnow
If it's not from genuine interest in the subject then this is just some manga to impress the Viets or pander to them.
@miyako19
Since yall cover the war, yall cover Ho Chi Minh right? We get state history textbooks then move on to US history textbooks.

@ribbitribbitsaga stop with the assumptions please, pander through such a niche medium? Its art style is enough to guarantee that it won't be popular in most circumstances
What point was you trying to make with those history textbooks?

Double-page supporter
@whatever1111999
I've seen propaganda from even a smaller medium, so I wouldn't rule it out especially if you want too give the mangaka credibility on being genuinely interested in Vietnam.
On the history books its pretty clear? Ho Chi Minh was a Communist tyrant from Nam with his reign being the caused of the war. Same with Cambodia I would ask if they cover Pol Pot.

Wow talk about being manupulated by propaganda, national history books are the biggest propaganda there is. Not a single nation shines itself in a bad light in its own history book lol.
I guess your only source of history information is to blame for your skewed perspective on the matter. Yeah it's pretty clear from the "U.S" history books that they did nothing wrong, just trying to prevent communism, when in fact they were blind by greed and self-interest. I just hate it when they can easily deceive people like you by talking rightous big words, all the while trampling on other countries' innocent civillians for their American self-impose "freedom".

My family has firsthand experience in the Vietnam war & looking at someone like you spouting nonsense just completely baffles me.
For a country like Vietnam, being collonize by multiple capitalistic countries, your only logical way out to freedom is to fit into communism and call for help/supplies from other communist countries no? Vietnam wouldn't have nearly as much firing power if it weren't for other communist coutries supplies. Majority of people in Vietnam is not even big on Communism anw, because communism was just a mean to freedom & not an ideal they pursue. HCM was never a tyrant & was loved by countrymen, but I understand why U.S would portray him that way and slide misinformation down your throat. Go to Vietnam and experience the real truth, otherwise you're just a bystander who never got involved and only read propaganda to form opinions.

Try to diversify your source of information buddy, I'm done responding to an ignorant American like you.

Double-page supporter
@BeenSwotted
>way more complicated
You have some resources where I can learn more regarding the genocide and Pol Pot?
@whatever1111999
lmao all because I asked if they cover Minh in Vietnam schools?
Only boomers and democrats support war hawks.
Yeah of course people are not going to be all about communism now because it failed.
Countrymen really love Minh that Ho Chi Minh City is known as Saigon now.
You're complaining about muh colonization when you learned this language for better opportunities.
You say the American people supported nam. They didn't.

You have the gall to attempt to berate me and then say to visit Nam. Like why would I stimulate your motherland's economy when you're just shitting on mine. Especially since you are speaking the tongue of those bad capitalist colonizers. Like its pretty ironic you want me to colonize Nam with my capitalist funds despite complaining about that.
It's just dumb. You're complaining about me eating up propaganda when it shows you really don't know how things run here now.

@ribbitribbitsaga Why Vietnam Invaded Cambodia: Political Culture and the Causes of War is pretty good, even though it had an uncreative name. Also Saigon was renamed to Ho Chi Minh City, not the other way around.
Also people all over the world shit on the US. My country does it all of the time. If you say you don't want to "stimulate our economy" you should remember that the US relies on paying workers here very little so that they can sell things for as cheap as they do at Target and Wallmart and stuff. It's a global system (not a good thing imo) and as much as you try to vote with your dollar, richer interests will always buy the market.

@ribbitribbitsaga
First of all, you have the reading comprehension skill of a 2 yr-old & have mischaracterized every point I made. Therefore, I'll make it easy for you with point by point talk. This is also to clarify for anyone read your comment and got the wrong idea.
1. Saigon was renamed to Ho Chi Minh, not the other way around.
2. Communism/ Capitalism is not as simple as black and white, many top countries with the best quality of life implement policies stem from both of these ideologies. Like Vietnam and China are doing communism in politics but implementing capitalism in economy.
3. My learning of English is my choice, collonization is not by choice.
Learning English doesn't equate to abandoning my mother tongue, but being collonize force people to abandon it. And as far as I'm concern, collonization doesn't equate to only language, far worse things are done to collonized countries.
You talk like you American owns the language but it actually originates from England, hence the name "English", yours is just an abreviation of the original language.
4. "You say the American people supported nam. They didn't." Didn't said any of this, brush up on your reading skills. How can a foreigner read & write better than you?
5. I've never said capitalism are "bad", we implement capitalistic ideas into our own economy. Bad ones are the collonists like past American army - killed and raped innocent people for their fake "freedom" & sense of justice.
6. Globalization makes every economies interacts with each other, if not you then someone else will. It's not like your petty few dollars gonna stimulate a whole economy, stop exaggerating your self-importance.
7. Investing is not collonizing, everyone gains from the funds being invested. If investing is collonizing then American is being collonized more than Vietnam because it receive hundred times more capital funds invested. See how idiotic your argument is? This is basic economics concept, it seems you're the one who don't know how things run. Pretty ironic.

I'm not trying to be mean but you're not exactly high on the social hierachy in America right? I'm just having a hard time believing the great America - a first world country would produce someone as uneducated as you.

I love how everyone here looks at themselves through rose-tinted glasses, but looks at everyone else through a microscope.

Live and let live, people.

Double-page supporter
@BeenSwotted
I'll check if the public library. In the other stuff though, you are right.
@whatever1111999
i'll respond in private so we do not clog up the comment section.
@miyako19
what's the point of responding now? I @ you 8 days ago I don't care about nam that much bruh I moved on

internet arguments are gay

holyhell, im a vietnamese but the comment sections just popped out way more than what i was being taught when i was in school, god bless.
và t người việt nam con cháu bác Hồ

Users who are viewing this thread