Any Tux users floating about?

My interest in Linux started when I bought my first netbook in 2011, it was a Samsung N130 with Windows XP pre-installed.
The store clerk said at the time that the same netbook came with either, Ubuntu or Windows.
A week later decided to look up this "Ubuntu", due to curiosity and the then Gnome 2 desktop loved unique and eye candy.

After watching some youtube videos and writing directions down, I decided to have a crack at installing it next to Windows.
Everything worked BUT the wifi (realtek), I emailed realtek and they sent me a Linux driver that I needed to compile with a list of instructions. (It worked)

Over time I gave I jumped on so many distros. (Deepin, Mageia, Fedora, Opensuse, Manjaro, Arch and now on Debian)

P.S. I notice Mangadex is using "Ubuntu" font :)

@ukbeast89 Good day to you follow tuxer. I am a primary linux user myself. I am not sure if he was serious(I did edge him in that direction, and am not following his genre), but our scanlator in the News from the most recent interview seems to be one as well.

Since I broke into a rant that I cant follow, here is some basic info about me
[ul][*]Distros I use (in order of preference): Gentoo (fastest and most stable if you can figure out how to properly use it. First install is hell though. If you don't know the CLI, installing this is a effective way to force yourself to learn it), Arch (like gentoo, but faster installs with less stable programs), CentOS (RedHat experience), Kali (Offensive security FTW), Debian/Ubuntu (what I started with. Almost never use it now)
[*]Primary programs I use that are at least a little bit related to manga/anime: keepassx (password manager), ffmpeg (console based video editor/transcoder), mpv (Video Player. Extendable via Lua, uses Lua for UI, also uses ffmpeg behind the scenes), hexchat (IRC), rtorrent(CLI based torrent manager), mcomix (manga/image viewer), blender (3d modeling/animation), kodi (smart TV replacement), krita (image editor), firefox
[*]Random Services I remember that I run on my network: DLNA (video/music/image server. mostly used for anime), shairport sync (Allows iphone users to stream music to houshold speakers), IKEv2 VPN(StrongSwan), DNS(Bind9), PostgreSQL, Django, SSH, NTP, Samba v4 AD (Windows file-share and centralized remote management)
[*]Languages I know: Python, Perl, Lua, JS, Bash, HTML, CSS, ... etc?
[*]Languages I am Learning: Rust, Japanese
[*]Languages I regret learning or trying to learn: Perl6(its never going to take off), PHP(not for me)[/ul]
Fun things I have done:
[ul][*]Shakugan no Shana theme![ul][*]GDM based
[*]Rotating wallpaper on desktop AND login screen
[*]Themed windows
[*]Customized notification sounds. Used bgm and catchphrases from the OST
[*]Login screen alarm for alerting about unauthorized access attempts while I am nearby. If left shift was not held down on resume, we would play the OST on full volume!
Fun Story! My friends once attempted to play To Love Ru (on my PC) in the middle of lunch in HS. I shutdown the computer, but they stole it back from me, turned it on... and I walked away. 15 seconds latter the cafeteria fell quite as music blared from my PC. Everyone was looking at our table while I stood by the vending machine thinking they would force it off or pull the battery. Instead they folded their arms on the table and shoved their head in it in embarrassment. Ended up having to go back and turn it off myself. The vice principle was not pleased, but I was luckily only scolded[/ul]
[*]Same as above for Hayate no Gotoku. Was much easier bc their soundtrack includes a whole lot of 1 phrase tracks. For instance, "You Got Mail Mail ga Todoita wa". Just look at titles in any character CD for it on AniDB
[*]Recovered deleted files from a camera's sdcard. No big deal, but you should have seen the panicked face of those around me at the time. Unfortunatly, most people use their phones now, and most phones are encrypted. I may be able to bypass security, but deleted files will not generally be recoverable.
[/ul]

TL;D(want to)R: I like Gentoo the best bc it runs great when properly configured, but it is extraordinarily difficult to get use to get used to. Recommended for those already somewhat familiar with linux who want to dive into the deep end of the CLI, or want the most configurability that a PM can give. Bar noobs from entry bc they will drown and never come back.

My Intro to Linux​

I myself started with Ubuntu. When I first learned of GNU/Linux, what attracted me most was the configurability of it all. Windows, for me, was a nuisance due to the many hurdles I had to jump through to make simple changes (ever tried changing how the lock screen looks? Changing the bg is already a pain, anything past that is hell).

Configurability:​

Linux offered a great deal of configurability and options for everything! Not only can you personalize the looks of your desktop, taskbar, lockscreen, change the audio of the login/logout, and the image/video played on boot. But there is even a pallor of different programs specifically designed for each task.

Something as simple as displaying program windows, a near completely inconfigurable task in MS, has 6 different popular programs for doing it, with different layouts (eg. stacking vs tiling WM). Not to mention the fun you can get with desktop effects(eg. wobbly windows), or the practicality of Virtual desktops (a concept MS finally imported with Win10).

When I switched, the main drive was the configurability, but the ease of use was quite surprising. With Win8, MS finally has an App store, but us linux users have had that for years! What more, ours is actually useful. Everything you want is normally in the app store, and the few items that may be missing are available in user supported app repositories which are just as easy to use. This greatly reduces the risk of getting viruses, and for us competent users, it nearly eliminates the need to do a background check on a program before installing it.

One of my favorite aspects of the linux community is that they never tell you know. Everything is possible, its just a matter of how much time you are willing to put into it. With Open Source code, you can quite literally change anything you don't like about any program. Once you get it the way you like it, you can share it with others or send it back upstream for review and consideration! This nice and supportive community is what kept me going with it until I went completely insane!

Going Insane: A Distro Hop To Gentoo​

After about 2 years with Ubuntu, debian, and its quite/evil step sister, Backtrack (now knows as Kali) linux, I decided I wanted to try switching to something even MORE configurable! With linux, we have something called "Distros", a fine tuned package of various programs and preferences which work together to create a unique user experience. Each of these is like its own Operating System. We use a site called DistroWatch to keep track of them and currently there are 276 Actively maintained Distributions of Linux(Try beating those options Windows)! Now, you may be wondering why? Well, each distro is tuned for a specific purpose. You have the general everyday distos with no specific target user. Distos aimed at Professions like Graphical designers, musicians, physicist, chemist, geographers. Distros aimed at hardware such as embedded platforms in general, android phones, TVs, XBox, routers/firewalls, etc. And Distros aiming to fulfill a specific purpose such as PBX distros, Firewall/Security distros, Surveillance Distros, etc. All of these distros can gain what the other has simply by installing a lot of programs and changing a lot of config files, the main purpose of using a specific distro is that most of the stuff is already how you want it.

Why Gentoo: The motive for insanity​

So, Why did I chose Gentoo? Well, my main problem with Ubuntu was keeping my bleeding edge programs up to date. Unlike most users, I was testing the latest of... everything. For most programs that I personally installed, I wanted the newest/unpublished/unstable version of it. Ubuntu supported this, but not very well. Ubuntu is made to be like an entry point to linux. Everything is how most users want it, and most users want everything to be stable! But I was trying to watch 10bit MKVs and other things that our anime world had adopted which, at the time, the stable releases of VLC and FFMPEG had several bugs with. I needed to stay on the nightly release and was sick of manually updating the installer for it and going through dependency hell! Thats when I learned of Gentoo...

Enter Gentoo: 3rd times the charm​

Gentoo is significantly different from Ubuntu. If Ubuntu is the entry point to Linux, Gentoo is the exit. It took me about 5 minutes to figure out how to install Ubuntu the first time. It took me 3 tries and over 32hrs to install Gentoo successfully (I blame the unusual drivers my HDD used and GRUB2's lack of documentation at the time). Even now that I know how to do it, without a script it would still take me 2-3 hrs to install Gentoo properly. So, why is it so complex?
Gentoo, unlike most distros, believes you, the user, should setup and configure everything for your own system. That way everything runs the way you want it, and is optimized for your own needs. This means, everything needs to be configured by you! What more, gentoo does not take many steps to make this process easier. Everything is manually done by you. Partitioning, formating, and mounting your HDD/SSD, setting up fstab, configuring the kernel (do you know what drivers your computer requires? How about which ones the programs you want to use require? Can we optimize anything for your most common tasks?), and setting up your boot manager (UEFI, GRUB2, etc). But then, as if that wasn't enough, we have the real hell and gem of Gentoo.

Emerge: The Package Manager​

Once you finish installing gentoo, a task for which you deserve a small medal, we have the real challenge. Installing programs! Unlike most other distorbutions, Gentoo is Source based. This means the package manager doesn't install pre-compiled code, but instead downloads the original source code and compiles it itself. This means installs usually take significantly longer, but we have a parole of options and optimizations we can do because of this! Normaly, a distro like Ubuntu distributes packages with just about every option enabled. This means all features can be used, but also means the program is often running code that fulfills no meaningful purpose for the end user. By configuring every program to your specific needs, Gentoo end up generating programs that are (often noticeably) faster and more stable than binary based distributions. You pay for this speed and stability with compile times and configuration time. Configuring every program individually would be hell though, which is why gentoo has something called USE flags. Basically, its a list of features you use that a large number of programs support. If a program offers that feature, it will be enabled if you flagged it on. I always install programs with only the use flags I need.

Once I got things are up and running, gentoo was the most stable OS and distro I ever used. The only time I would have problems is during or directly after upgrading a program (usually a new upstream problem). Ever had X11 crash on you? I never had that problem with gentoo except for 2 broken X11 builds, and on initial install when I had yet to properly configure xorg.

Between the hands on experience required for every task, the informative news letters/emails that you receive from the package manager, and the helpful community. I consider Gentoo to be one of the best distros for learning Linux. Go in a noob, come out a master. Of course, I don't recommend anyone not up to the task to try it. It is a CLI hell that only the clinically insane would go through.

End Gentoo Rant​
Well, I didn't mean to type all of that. Believe it or not, I edited out about 3 pages worth of material (which probably made it sound more sporadic, and possibly completely removed any form of flow). I also use Arch for quicker installs, and CentOS for RedHat like experience (I have my RHCSA certificate, nearly ready for RHCE). Also playing with rPi and aurdino, but need a decent soldering iron before I can do anything too fun.

On a side note, If anyone here is into drawing/image editing, Krita is great. IMO, GIMP is for photos, Krita is for digital graphics (non-photo pictures), and Inkscape is our vector image editor (though, imo, it needs a lot of improvement which I am doubtful it will get).

Towa-sama's Lover
Group Leader
Ups, this destroyed front page.
-Tikibo
Yups
unknown.png

@Tikibo @WhoSainT Ya, not much I can do about that (other than remove the valid bbcode which the excerpt generator barfs on, but I spent the time to format it, not going to undo that work). See bug Single line Thread Preview on main page may be several lines long. For now, if you could make a few post (last letter game, make a sentence game, etc) then this will vanish from main page at the next excerpt update (updates every 10 minutes, if you refresh at just the right time, there will be no excerpts displayed since it seemingly deletes except cache before regenerating it).
Since my example image is defunct in the bug, I am stealing yours.

Dex-chan lover
After several frustrations with Win 7 I switched to Mint. It has treated me better than any Win system for sure, but I still need to boot to Win 7 to run my scanner on occasion.

@Samhill what brand is your scanner? Printers/scanners are a mixed bag still with linux, so I won't doubt you if you say there are no drivers for it. Just want to keep my personal/in head printer/scanner blacklist up to date.

My desktops are Gentoo. Gentoo user since 2003. Before that I was using SuSE (before it split in SLES and openSuSE), I have been using linux since at least 1999 and various flavors of unix before and after that professionally (HP-UX(rip), AIX, Sun(rip), true64unix(rip)...).
For work reason I have been playing with various versions of redhat, SLES, ubuntu, centos, debian, mint (actually had an old imac at home running that for a few months)...
I started computing in the 8bit era, my first machine was a ZX81 with a glorious 1KB of ram (I am serious look it up).
My laptop is a Mac for those applications the corporate side says I need, I'll accept a windows machine when hell freeze over.

Wallpaper on my work desktop http://wallpaperim.net/picture/83504-if_it_moves_compile_it

windows is my daddy and nobody else but bill gates is going to change that

Nice to see another Gentoo user! My wallpaper is dynamic, here is an old screencast of mine from back when I was still using X11/Awesome(WM). Back then I had a very small set of pictures marked SFW. Now my image db is a little bigger and better. Yes, my wallpaper is nothing but 5000+ anime/manga pictures taken mostly from yande.re(NSFW).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9isJYmZBnc (also notice I was playing minecraft. I was asked to record some flying guy by my lil bro since his pc ad trouble encoding vids while mc was running)
Since this was recorded, I have gained another monitor which is in portrait mode. My BG manager was programed to place portrait photos on it, and landscape on the other 2.
You can also see my conky (nvidia GPU monitor unfortunately doesn't work when booting with nouveau). I can't tell you how long I spent writing that spinning conky. It speeds up, goes faster clockwise, and turns a deeper red for worse conditions (heavy load, running out of space, high temperature). And spins slowly (and even counter clockwise), with a yellow or gray color for favorable conditions.

@Kiruzu Why I hate windows:
15.9/16GB ram used with no fg applications running and top memory using process only holding 1.3M (but thousands of instances of it).

1 windows update is corrupt, your computer refuses to install any other updates bc of it and isn't intelligent enough to checksum it and re-download.

Laptop resumes from suspend, but on random occasions, the screen stays off.... (possibly nvidia specific bug, has existed since at least 2011, don't expect a fix)

Over 500GB of HDD/SSD space gets consumed by C:\Windows\Temp (A persistent temp folder, not auto-deleted at reboot) bc windows log compressor fails miserably (google Huge CBS.log). Bug existing at least since 2015. I still occasionally get this with up2d8 win 7, win server 2016, win8.1, and win10. All of them but server are " professional" edition.

No App Store. Win10 pretends to have one, but in the end, to get anything useful you have to go to the publishers website. Something I don't trust the average windows user to be competent enough to do (ever watched someone go to google.com, search for chrome, and then download an infested version from a random website you have no clue how they found? Right after I finished a fresh install as well).

Though, I probably run into these problem a lot more often than a normal user does since I am managing 20+ peoples computers. Ofc, GNU/Linux isn't free of bugs (off the top of my head, heartbleed and Dirty Cow were 2 major incidents). But our community at least owns up to it, and if the devs don't fix it, there is always an option for you to.
Only thing I give MS credit for is MSoffice. Specifically word and PowerPoint. I don't have an open source alternative with nearly as good of a UI as those 2. (Sorry, libre/open office UI sucks in comparison, though we have had significant improvements to them in the last few years).

How can someone not know how to install something properly and use Gentoo, lmao, never seen someone non-dev manage to use a Linux OS without complaining in 10 minutes (because it's annoyingly verbose)

The company I work for has never ran into the issues you describe, mostly because they focus on imaging all tools necessary. Any additional software that needs to be installed and they'll just remote in and do it for them with a simple call.
If you're a dev you have admin rights, you can't be a dev and not know how to install a program (or the interview process has failed).
You honestly just might have shit luck. I've never, ever, encountered a big CBS log file in the 10-15 years I've personally used Windows, nor have I seen anything related to that in IT.

15.9GB/16GB RAM usage occurs with shit images--and it happened to our IT department. Fuck Android Studio by the way. After fixing the images, it's fine.

Your laptop issues are weird--this happens to any older units without an iGPU from Intel. Think that happened to me personally a few times in like '07-'09 in the Vista era, but after that I've literally never seen it occur again. This is a sample size of 1 though, since I wasn't even able to work then.

Mac is a godsend for any marketing team. Perfectly restrictive, has the App Store, and all the goodies you'd ever want. Fantastic. Most people are familiar with them if they work on the creative side, so it's perfect.

Not sure how you can use Linux with an organization that has a wide variety of computer literacy (I'm assuming you're IT [and the only one] for your org).

@Kiruzu They were not a linux user, and I would never send them off to gentoo (wouldn't even make a good joke). That was just a list of things I hate about windows. I would recommend Ubuntu for noobs, but I have generally given up on convincing people to change OS(though I will help them if they bring it up).
The one who failed to install chrome was an external customer. They use a school issued laptop, win10 professional. They were not locked down in any way. Obviously, they should not be trusted with admin privileges, but not my choice to make.

I do manage a company's computers as well. I primarily manage them via group policy, and occasionaly use PS with Invoke-Command to batch execute things on all computers. But, other than application installing, all issues listed remain. Though, admittedly the RAM issue is only on the bosses computer and one external client(7/8GB used after boot). I can't fix it (well, I can... but it takes less than 48hrs for him to mess it up again. He wont let me remove admin privs from him).

For me, the laptop issue has always been on ones with NVidia GPU, 4 different laptops so far (3 win7 and 1 win10. Haven't had it with radeon or intel integrated graphics yet). My memory isn't the best reference though, its possible its not GPU specific.

The Cab space eating problem is related to log file compression problem with makecab.exe. It doesn't occur often, but you will definitely notice if it does. I do not remember if their is a work around (disable whatever service calls makecaband/or auto-delete the log files. Though it is an issue that occurs less than once per 5 years for me)

Mac would be great, but I can't convince them to switch to that, despite the fact they all use iphones and ipads. One issue is the licensed programs they use that only work on windows. Though, honestly, our main problem is no one wants to make the switch and learn a new OS's UI (we just recently started migrating to win10 for the same reason, can't teach an old dog new tricks I guess)

Yes, I am working alone, in an organization I would rather not be in TBH.
And I do not use linux in that organization. I use it for the home server. We have win7 and win10 professional here as well, which I manage with the samba v4 AD server(selinux setup for it was a pain). Work uses the win16 server. though I do have a linux box there acting as a VPN and unifi server. We have a Meraki firewall that works OK for VPN, but IKEv2 was wanted for more reliable phone connectivity.

I would recommend Ubuntu for noobs, but I have generally given up on convincing people to change OS(though I will help them if they bring it up).

I personally would recommend Ubuntu Mate for noobs, it has a Welcome screen after fresh install and it suggests Linux alternatives for Windows applications through Welcome.

At the end if it works for you, there is no reason for you to change and seriously annoying you to do so is counter-productive. Windows is not for me but I was using computers before win95 came out (and windows 3.1 for that matters). My enthusiasm for it died in 5mn. The fact that my "other computer" used to be a BlueGene and if I want to play that joke nowadays it'll be a CRAY (and yes I support people in that space and have access) means that windows means literally nothing in my line of work.

Yeah, @kiwifb, you're absolutely right. I think there's different strokes for every folk, and mine just happens to be Windows.

The ability to move your mouse up and instantly enlarge a window or use it to swap panes makes i3 seem like an unintuitive mess unless you're coding--but since I'm an Atom/VSCode user, I often pick up my mouse far more than the average emacs/vim user--so it's still fine for me.

I just love the gestures in Windows. It feels so good.

Then let's not forget the application support. Play games? Windows has my back. Linux--cmon man, WINE ain't that good.

Then you got Mac with the dumbest implementation of a desktop on... a desktop. It's so bad--and anyone who's used it before knows exactly what I'm talking about. Switch to a laptop--and suddenly, Mac OS just... clicks. The trackpad implementation is that good on there.

Linux is good--but it's missing a lot of the tools I'd like to use on a day to day basis. I like i3, but I like Windows' tiling manager a little more. It's also a pain in the ass to setup the first time (at least it beats Hackintosh).

I don't really ever run into technical issues (except today lawl), and it just feels "good".

Not so long ago I switched to the Linux operating system as many of my friends said that it's much more convenient to work with it! I've been working on Windows all my life and I'm having problems updating drivers. I've always done this manually, but it's very difficult to find suitable drivers for the Linux operating system! A good friend of mine the programmer advised me to use the program https://thinkmobiles.com/blog/best-free-driver-updater/, which automatically updated all my drivers on the computer and I started working with it. What other programs are available to make working with Linux easier?

Users who are viewing this thread