@kemichi the story is mainly based on 聊斋, which is (telling) Chinese strange tales, and the background of this manga was based on 民国 era, the republic era between Qing dynasty and People's Republic of China. So the title kinda works no? 撩(which has the same pronunciation of 聊 ) however, can mean "to flirt" as well, but if you add this into a title it would just be weird.

Dex-chan lover
I'm confused I thought showing depictions of skeletons was illegal in China? Yet there is skulls all over that picture.

Also @ Keimichi google says it's "a fast" lol

Dex-chan lover
Art's good, setting seems to be interesting. Looking forward to more of this.

Double-page supporter
Perhaps the English title refers not to Taiwan, but instead to continental China, in what appears to be the early 1900's from the type of clothing and flash bulb cameras. China used to be called Republic of China before the communist revolution, after which time the winning communist's changed the name to The People's Republic of China. Because I don't think the setting looks like Taiwan, as it was ruled by Japan for 50 years before WWII and was fairly undeveloped and agricultural until the Japanese arrived. Taiwan wasn't called Republic of China until after the war when the defeated Chinese party fled continental China and emigrated to Taiwan. Before the Japanese, Taiwan had a variety of different names, from all the different waves of immigrants and European colonies, starting from the aborigines (who were mistreated by both the Chinese and Europeans, just like every other place throughout human history), over tens of thousands of years. You might still find some elderly people who grew up speaking Japanese and who had trouble learning Mandarin. Otherwise the Chinese would would have mostly spoken their ethnic Han or Fujian dialects of Hakka or Hokkien. Interestingly, you'll find that most of the Chinese in Singapore also speak Hakka or Hokkien, along with Cantonese. Strangely, you'll sometimes find Chinese people in very remote villages of Southeast Asia, like in Cambodia or Philippines speaking Hokkien, because they emigrated, travelled for trade, or were brought in to work on European colony plantations.

So, anyway, the English title most probably and correctly refers to continental China, since that name doesn't relate to Taiwan until a much later time period from what the story's setting appears to be.

Group Leader
@Zones Everything from a more established source that I've seen on it basically says that human remains aren't inherently problematic, but developers often do so of their own volition before it gets submitted for review in China just to avoid any issues because everybody knows that it's a big deal, right? Desecration of human remains, on the other hand, is something I recall seeing being specifically cited as an issue, though I can't recall where I saw that. Non-human remains aren't really a problem, but they may get the similar preemptive censorship treatment as a means to expedite the process. (This is an op-ed that talks about it a bit: https://www.techinasia.com/china-doesnt-censor-skeletons-the-truth-about-game-censorship-in-the-middle-kingdom)

Aggregator gang
How do I report skeletons to Chinese government to get author executed so I no longer have to see Chinese trash on this website?

Instrumentality Instigator
Staff
Super Moderator
@lewd
Whoa. We don't wish death upon *anyone* around here, especially if we're too lazy to just not read content we don't like.

Reacquaint yourself with our rules learn how to offer criticism without wanting someone to die. If I see it happen again, disciplinary action will follow.

Thanks,

Zeph

Fed-Kun's army
This got my attention so, surprised the protagonist isn't the "strongest" in something so far, but wouldn't be surprised if it happens later on.

Users who are viewing this thread