Is It Okay to Merge Released Fragmented-Chapter?

Group Leader
TL;DR: Rule 3.2.2 Pretty sums up everything what I wrote down there.

[*]Is It Okay to Merge the Released Fragmented-Chapter?

I often came across many mangas with fragmented-chapter release, which is annoying sometimes.

So, I have an idea, why don't we (users/volunteers) merge that already released fragmented-chapters under a different group name. The group is open to anyone and its sole purpose is to re-upload the merged version, of course with permission from the group(s) that've worked on that chapter before.

And of course, I'm aware that this will burden the servers, that's why I ask.

Group Leader
@blackyawgdom
Well, thanks!
Damn I'm such a lazy ass reader

Welp, guess it's a green light, then, yeah? Better start merging now.

Wait I've read the 3.2.2 just now, does it mean that I can't just merge any fragmented manga at will?

Group Leader
Ah, I see, it's because the source material were also split in the same way, right?

It's pretty much useless, then. I mean, there's not many scanlation group who purposely split their release without regard to source material anyway ...

Dex-chan lover
3.2.2 doesn't say you can't do it for those, it simply doesn't apply to them.

I don't see any reason you wouldn't be allowed to, other than perhaps the rules about "extraneous" pages (credits/recruitment pages must be at start or end - a merged chapter might have first chapters end, and second chapters start, both appear in the middle). Though then you simply have to move them to end or start.

Dex-chan lover
@feha
It says it doesn't apply to them, but rule 3.2.3 directly below says that you cannot alter the release of a group you are not a part of unless it's a violation of 3.2.2. So no fixing chapters that were released split in the first place unless you have the authority to do so

Dex-chan lover
@MrIncognito except that rule has 2 points that makes it not apply:
1. You perform none of the actions listed ("removing, editing, or adding pages"), as at most you move pages as dictated by md's rules (the "extraneous" ones), which I am unsure if it counts as "altering".
2. "do not alter the release you are uploading" sounds like it says it does not apply when you upload a different 'release' (I assume the term here refers to the chapter being published?) altogether. As in, the chapter number has been changed entirely (ie. rather than uploading ch1.1 or ch1.2, it would be ch1 that is uploaded instead).

But yes, it could potentially be considered as applying in this case, if moving pages as required by the rules is considered 'altering', and I misunderstand the usage of the term "release" in the rule.

Double-page supporter
> You perform none of the actions listed ("removing, editing, or adding pages")

Nope. You are adding pages from one chapter to another chapter. That's clearly against 3.2.3 since you aren't part of that group.

Users who are viewing this thread