Yume no Shizuku, Kin no Torikago

Group Leader
This is so depressing. And knowing what happens in history I cant read this anymore

Contributor
Yeah... The problem with creating a love triangle based on historical figures is there's some spoilers.

...In reality I assume her motives were quite different from those presented here; one can I suppose hope that the real lady was more happily married (though that's difficult given that she was engaging in massive power struggles).

Group Leader
I just realized that odd numbers have white volume covers and even numbers have black volume covers.

I hate how this manga turns out to be.. it started off great though.

It annoys me how characters are half hearted with what they once claimed to “truly desire”.

It was fine until chapter 30s or so, now new chapters are filled with empty landscape drawing, scattered story telling, it lacks of thoughtful dialogues and characters are just saying the same thing over and over until the chapter ends. It doesn’t feel like the story making progress.

It looks more like a picture book of historical events rather than a manga now.

Group Leader
@Harriet_ I agree with your points, but I'm too invested in the story now to hate it 😅 Events of two, maybe even three volumes can be easily told in one if you remove all the stock images (the same shots of Istanbul and the Topkapi Palace) and pages where a character gratuitously says "Your Majesty". Unless she goes the time skip route, I'm afraid this will go on like 100 volumes before Hurrem dies.

I commend the mangaka for telling this story as realistically as possible and not reducing things to a simple love triangle, but we get the point even if she doesn't talk about the succession every other page. Harem politics gives you more than enough material to work with. I wish she sped things up a little bit, but well, that's her style I guess.

I'm glad we're getting closer to juicier historical events. I can't wait for 1536 in particular.

what an asshole.. hard to believe in earlier chapters he was whining all the time about how he wants to gain power and status and protect hurrem and as said then “her child” the same child he’s basically now giving a death sentence as well as to hurrem if the first prince actually becomes the sultan. very disappointed but not surprised..

@bakasennin I mean... I'm not convinced by the sudden change in character development, especially that of Ibrahim.

Mangaka introduced him as someone who has the resolve to climb the ladder from a slave to a respectfully high position. I'd imagine someone like that would find a way to eventually achieve his goal, this way or another. Then he went to the battle, he engaged in dangerous events, he earned reputation and trust with both the above and below... it seemed like he really poured his heart into it so that one day he could pursuit happiness with Hurrem.

And just when this plan is 99% achived, he just f*king changed his mind in an instant and gave up Hurrem. I mean... it's very immature here, not to mention that Ibrahim sudden changed from a man with strong determination to a man who just goes with the flow. It's very much unlike him.

I don't know if the mangaka is under any pressure to stick with the history, I need a good and persuasive story - wherether it follows the real history or not. If I truly want to read history I wouldn't have gone for manga.....

Group Leader
@Harriet_ Ibrahim choosing his "loyalty" to Suleiman over his love for Hurrem was surely abrupt. If the mangaka fleshed out the relationship between Ibrahim and Suleiman, things would have made more sense. We never felt he loved and respected his emperor that much until the latest volumes, so this newfound loyalty feels like an asspull. We are not sure how Ibrahim went from being BFFs with Suleiman to being
discarded and killed (right after they had dinner together, like how?)
by him in real life, so Shinohara had the chance to write a convincing story about him. But apparently, she chose not making any sense.

But if she was aiming to turn Ibrahim into an unlikeable villain, I'd say she was succesful :) I don't feel the slightest sympathy towards him anymore :)

@bakasennin I don't know how the mangaka plans to kill off his character later on, probably over jealousy ? I remember when reading the raw, Suleiman kissed him (at least) twice, however I didn't see the second kiss in this translation. I don't know where they dropped it, or did I miss some page maybe? 😂 I wouldn't have thought about Suleiman's jealousy as a reason, but if he kissed Ibrahim twice, it could be....

I read from the beginning til the latest chapter and I feel pity for such a good, mysterious character. All three of them have great protential for further development. The mangaka somehow ruined it after some 30ish chapters.

Btw this manga shouldn't have the Romance tag

at all !

Users who are viewing this thread