Golden Kamuy - Vol. 27 Ch. 267 - Severed

Aggregator gang
Thanks for the chapter.

Wow. This was so compelling and engaging. Pretty heavy chapter to think about

Not sure of the translation on that last page. So Kiroranke
didn’t love Sophia but treated her as a comrade worth saving, but loved Wilk
?

Dex-chan lover
I’m guessing Tsurumi’s “sweet lies” to his men aren’t entirely lies, assuming he isn’t already aware that he’s being watched and putting up another front.

@JDLars: How’d you come to that conclusion? He loved them both. There are different kinds of love, not just romantic.

Dex-chan lover
I understand Kiroranke's feelings and i can easily see that Wilk was swayed by his own, but i think Wilk's plan was much more feasible.

Winning a war is only the first step and believe it or not it is the easy one, maintaining the conquered land is where the difficulty truly starts, there are so many things needed to do that and it only gets more complicated the more land they have to protect.

What Kiroranke wanted was the conquest of so much land where too few able people could defend, in the end even IF they were able to do that they would lose it some years later and the defeat would probably be even worse, as it would be a payback war and those are always bloodier.

CKN

Dex-chan lover
I guess this is proof that Kiroranke never moved away from what the ideal person Wilk was supposed to be. Cant fault him for being angry or feel betrayed, but if he was the one who slaughtered all the ainu for a dream that in retrospect could have been burned to cinders, the guy was always going to get himself killed by being in the action.

Dex-chan lover
And here I thought Wilk was a complete psychopath. you know, with him tattooing the prisoners only for them to be skinned later, and raising his daughter to throw her on the front line of a war she was not prepared for nor has any business with

I'm loving these flashbacks we have been getting lately, I keep getting hyped to see what more we will learn each week 😄.
To me this whole chapter seems to talk both about Wilk and Tsurumi, in the aspect of how the birth of their baby girls changed their goals.
Also, did you notice how the panel with Wilk holding baby Asirpa with his wife beside him is a parallel to the Tsurumi family cover on chapter 265?

@radiohead That has to be his father, they look so much alike

Dex-chan lover
Woah not sure if relevant or not -likely not- but nice contrast of this chapter's cover vs tsurumi's on chap n265

Each family makes my heart go 😔

Double-page supporter
@radiohead Yeah, I'm pretty sure he is. We know Ariko's dad is one of those guys, so it's probably Siromakur.

It's worth noting that the cover page mirrors the cover page to chapter 265, showing Tsurumi's family.

I also think that Wilk's plan is more realistic, but his priorities clearly changed. From Kiroranke's perspective, the people he grew up with would have to abandon their homes and make a long trek to Hokkaido, and many of them would probably just never go. The same is probably true for the Karafuto Ainu. Wilk was essentially picking his new family over his (and Kiroranke's) old family. Though it's a little sad to think that Kiroranke, who married an Ainu woman and had children, never had the same thoughts. To be fair, his plan was independence for everyone, but he doesn't seem to have given any preference to his own family. Also, it's funny that the thing that cemented in Kiroranke's mind that Wilk had changed is the fact that Wilk didn't just kill him..

This chapter made me think more about the Wilk/Sugimoto parallel. Wilk wasn't a soldier, but he was part of a violent revolutionary movement and was so inured to death that he could slit the throat of a comrade to protect the group. Then he met Asirpa's mom, who helped him feel human again and refrain from killing, just like what Asirpa does for Sugimoto. Meanwhile, Kiroranke never stopped being the revolutionary involved in the assassination of the Tsar and a freedom fighter for his people. He never let himself feel at peace like Wilk did, and he thinks that Wilk gave up the fight.

It's nice to see them explicitly state what the Kiroranke/Wilk rift was about. It had been heavily implied, but this made it clear. I'm still confused about Sofia's part in this, though. She's still a revolutionary who wants to overthrow the monarchy. I suppose her group believe that creating a Far Eastern Federation would give them a base of operations, but she must have realized by now that Wilk and Kiroranke's goals were independence for their people, not revolution in Russia, and while they'd want to protect their land from Russia, they probably weren't going to help overthrow the Tsar.

There is one thing I didn't like about this chapter, though: the implication that Kiroranke loved Sofia. It just feel unnecessary. He already had reason enough to oppose Wilk's plan: wanting freedom for his people, feeling like he's in a permanent state of war against Russia. Making his love for Sofia one of his motivations just undermines the ideological differences between him and Wilk. I can accept him loving Sofia, but not as a motivation for fighting for his federation, especially since his goals ultimately conflict with Sofia's anyway. Plus, I wish they could have just been friends. I know Sofia loved Wilk, but they didn't need to have a love triangle. In a series with so few women, it's too bad that the women's roles often involve being love interests.

Well, that was a big comment dump. This was a great chapter overall, to make me want to talk this much. And that's not even getting into Tsurumi's comments about goals and Tsukishima's meaningful gaze. Plus, Kiroranke is one of my favorite characters, and it's cool to see him still be relevant from beyond the grave. I'm used to dead characters quickly being forgotten and becoming irrelevant, and I even though that that was the case for Kiroranke, so this was a pleasant surprise.

Fed-Kun's army
God tier translators catching us mere mortals up on all these old mentions. We are truly blessed.

Users who are viewing this thread