Mod Dialogue Thread

Instrumentality Instigator
Staff
Super Moderator
This will either be a great idea or a terrible one. Let's find out.

A fair amount of users are not happy with how staff, forum moderators specifically, behave in thread and dole out punishment.

The majority of the complaints seem to center around me. This is most likely due to the fact that for a long time I was the most visible and vocal forum mod. I have been accused of, among other things, abusing my moderator power to punish people I don't like, issue inconsistent moderator rulings, and generally being a bastard.

This thread is an attempt to establish a safe space in which users can communicate with staff without fear of retaliation unless they use it as a vehicle for harassment, trolling, or simply seeking to get a rise out of whatever staff member they have a problem with. Please keep in mind that our rules are applicable to the thread as well. Please use your common sense.

To start things off, I will say that I am a stickler for rules. Lots of people on the internet have issues with places that have lots of rules and moderators that enforce them. I make no secrets of the fact that I dislike people who break the rules in order to be edgy or simply troll. For a while, I tried to leave purely professional messages for users when they had broken rule and I issued corrective action. Eventually, I felt like no one had any respect for me at all, so I stopped giving a shit about trying to be nice. I can admit that at times I have reacted badly to users that have not necessarily broken rule but decided to go out of their way to make me feel as terrible as possible either by directly insulting me or making posts that don't break the letter of our rules but certainly break the spirit of them.

That, along with several other factors, have caused me to lose enthusiasm for moderating MD. So much to the point that I have effectively semi-retired and no longer work the report queues. If I see something and I have time to work on it, I will. Otherwise I am basically another user who reads in their spare time.

I want to have a good rapport with the users of MD. I am tired of being known as the no fun Nazi mod. I want users to understand that I strive to make sure that when I issue corrective action it is because rules have been broken, not because I want to piss in their coffee cup.

I welcome any constructive criticism that users may have but I must stress again that this thread is intended for polite and constructive conversation only. I'm not saying you can't make a joke here and there but let's not do that with the intent of hurting someone's feelings or trying to get a rise out of them. Other staff are not obligated to answer unless they have the time and inclination. Perhaps this thread can morph into an arbitration thread but that seems a little too much at this moment.

Have at it.

Dex-chan lover
Definitely a good idea. Might post here in the future to outline past disputes. Thanks, it's apparent that you care about opening a dialogue.

Dex-chan lover
A bold move I like it. Anyways I wont say much since I've already addressed my issues with you in private. (no I didn't share anything about our last convo)

Contributor
fun Nazi mod
l45jiUZ.gif

https://mangadex.org/thread/396188
tumblr_oe2x656uN11tm1dgio2_540.gif

Instrumentality Instigator
Staff
Super Moderator
@yumgumyum
I don't understand the link and the gif.

We are waiting to announce the winner along with our anniversary post, if that's what you mean. If the delay gets crazier, I will work something out.

Dex-chan lover
I remember long long ago. There was a user complaining that there was Loli H on the site.

@Ixlone replied by linking the first chapter on the site which was Loli H. Because He linked the chapter directly; guests/non H users could read it.

I pinged him to change the link but there was no response.

My suggestion to embargo H mangas also hasnt got a rejected or planned tag yet either

Dex-chan lover
Work can be quite cruel,
underappreciated,
and downright boring.
tenor.gif

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@Teddy Not really the thread to be discussing this, but do you mean there should be like a warning alert in the reader (similar to the spoiler gap warning) when the chapter is H and the user doesn't have H visible? Guess I could try doing that, now that I think about it.

@eotfofyl
Yeah, but jannies aren’t ever wanted nor appreciated.

tl;dr
*ting ting*
*ahem*
Gather around everyone I have an important announcement to make.
Fuck jannies
Fuck jannies
Fuck jannies
But most importantly of all
He’s a janitor, on a Mongolian basket weaving manual piracy chalkboard. He willing spends his Friday nights cleaning this shit up and he gladly does it for free!

Dex-chan lover
MD community members!

Please stop hating on the volunteer members who are just trying to maintain a semblance of order and the preservation of mutual respect and decency in the chaos commonly known as the interweb! 😖

Prepping and loading the WOT for presentation this evening.

Dex-chan lover
@Teasday

Well perferably it would be a overlay that asks for login for guests or account settings for non H users (as i wrote in the suggestions)

But the plan you have is still better than nothing

Most powerful member of the GFG
Staff
Super Moderator
My only complain is that the anniversary thread that got locked could've been handled much better, that's it, really.

@Teddy
Like those "We see you're using an adblock, please don't, we can't cover your screen" things?

Dex-chan lover
Umm is it like the Instagram and pin interest pop ups?

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@Teddy posted:

Well perferably it would be a overlay that asks for login for guests or account settings for non H users (as i wrote in the suggestions)
No, we don't want to prevent guests from reading H, literally the only reason the switch is hidden from them is to avoid getting blacklisted in placed like Indonesia. If a guest has the url, we're perfectly fine with them being able to read it.

Users who are viewing this thread