Manga Recs with friendship/(found) family as the main focus

I'm looking for Manga with friendship/(found) family as the main focus.

I'd love to have more stories with dynamics like The Promised Neverland, Harebare Biyori, etc.
Ideally with little to no romance, and completed or at least with a few chapters.

I don't really care about the genre, so can be Action, Horror, Sci-Fi, etc.

@min_schlaf you might like https://mangadex.org/title/21257/ohayou-toka-oyasumi-toka/comments/ it's more on the Harebare, 27 chapters with three more to go to the end. I've been enjoying it.

@min_schlaf Just a few of my recommendations for friendship/family-focused manga, but organising this unexpectedly took time; hence my late reply.

Budding family relationships:
Many of these involve circumstances that force these people to become families, so as lighthearted as they are, they all have their sadder moments. Except when I explicitly warn about heavier content. Ordered by length.

Ad Hoc Family; a bittersweet oneshot.
Family Complex; a wacky manga that shouldn't be taken too seriously. Good for the short read it is.
Kokoro ni Hana o!!; just a sweet story about a makeshift family.
No, youna.; a couple suddenly starts taking care of dead relatives' kids.
Akazukin no Ookami Deshi; a fun little fantasy series. I can't comment on this one a lot since I haven't finished reading it though.
With!!; in which a girl meets the ghost of her brother...? It's sad.
Shounen no Ato; can't say much without spoiling.
Romantica Clock; now these siblings here never got separated and aren't reconnecting, but the manga focuses on them and their relationships so I thought it would be a nice addition.
Familyman; the story of a father that's always away trying to reconnect with his family after some circumstances. Heartbreak warning though. I really think this is a gem, and you can read the whole official release for free, so I don't see why not many read it.
My Girl; a young guy finds a daughter he never knew existed after his ex-girlfriend died. Really sweet.
Love So Life; just plain heartwarming, about an orphan girl that starts working as a babysitter for two babies living with a relative. Check out the sequel too!
Gakuen Alice; now familial bonds are not the focus of this manga but the definitely tackle the problem with quite a few characters later on, in the more dramatic half. And just cuz I really like the manga as well :p

Blooming friendship?:
These manga all focus majorly on friendship, though unlike the family recommendations, "heartwarming SoL" is not the major category most would fall under. Be sure to check tags. Ordered by length too.

Aosora; just to sneak in a (good) oneshot.
Seishun Kouryakuhon; where all these boys work together to help their friend in love, and appreciate the time they have left at school.
Tomodachi Gokko; a girl that tries to help a bullied friend ends up becoming the victim herself. And then time-traveling.
Butai ni Sake; two guys bond over club activities and help each other out with their insecurities. It takes its progress calmly.
Pink to Gray; a series about friends who grow distant after one of them becomes famous.
10th - You and I Fell in Love With the Same Person; nerve-wracking series about childhood friends and love; just read it please.
Sekai de Ichiban, Ore ga OO; a misfortune competition with great rewards, but the three participants are close friends.
Cherry Tomato; ...well, three friends.
Men's Kou; all-boys school guys trying to find love, make up for their faults, and be happy, but with lots of energy, and seriousness in between.
Nanairo Kakumei; in which a girl wants to break off a friendship that is just refusing to break. This is not a positive friendship, though one of the side characters might offer that.
Sakamichi no Apollon; a transfer student meets two friends and they click it off, but stuff happens.
+Anima; where all these kids with nowhere to go stick together and go places. This is the most SoL-like recommendation here.
Odd Girl Out; a manhwa with a MC that finds herself being a part of a certain friends group at school. But they're all chill and nice friends, after all. Free official release!

Hope you like at least one of these :)

@O-Takuni
Thank you so so much!
Thats such a long and thought out reply, I wasn't expecting this.

I'll check them out one by one :)

I'm super grateful again, for the work you put into your answer!

@min_schlaf liked this one too. Brother taking care of a much younger brothers ends up working at a daycare in a school. The daycare is for the teachers kids. It deals with various issues he has with his brother and the other young kids.

https://mangadex.org/title/5465/gakuen-babysitters

might help if I actually gave the manga. DOH

Dex-chan lover
@min_schlaf

Friendship:

Konjiki no Gash!! (good ass classic shounen of power of friendship, have anime adaptation)
Sumire 17-sai!! (a kinda cheesy stories about friendship (kind of))
Be-Bop-Highschool (good ol deeliquent friendship and school life, I guess, have anime adaptation)
Watamote (Friendship and character development start at volume 8, need anime season 2 for this)
Kaiji (A better way to showcase MC naivety than Promised Neverland imo, have 6 parts so far and the first 2 have anime adaptation)

SoreMachi (one of my favorites, the relationship between MC and her groupies, MC and her senpai BFF, MC and her family, MC and her townfolks is so organic and real, have anime adaptation)
Species Domain (same as above but more focus with school life and light romance)
Azumanga Daioh (A classic, have anime adaptation)
Demichan wa Kataritai (friendship between the main girl group surprisingly good, have anime adaptation)

Family:

Sangatsu no Lion (masterpiece of a warm and heartfelt non-blood-related familial bonding ft. Sadboi MC with actual complicated issues, have a really good moody anime adaptation)
Otoyomegatari (you'll see lots of different customs and cultures of the people in the 19th century central asia around the caspian sea)
Yome ga Kore na mon de (a simple look of a small family, short and sweet)
Hakumei to Mikochi (a daily life look about two women, not-blood-related not-spouse either but they're close like a good family for sure, have anime adaptation)

Shimanami Tasogare (coming of age lgbt+ stories of a young man looking for a place where he belongs)
Boku to Issho (its about familial bonding aight)
Oyaji (simple and straightforward about manly family man)
Yotsubato! (A classic)

@min_schlaf You're welcome :)
And I can't believe I forgot SoreMachi, +1 to that.
And a shameless plug to my favorite manhwa, Mother, I'm Sorry. Again, grab the linked official release since it's free.

And I had refrained from recommending this since it had no chapters, but since they're being uploaded, I'll (the manga name) also has really strong friendships between the main characters.

@O-Takuni, @MawMaw and also @schlo thank you guys so much again!
Now I'm all set for my quarantine downtime :)

I already read some of your recommendations, but actually re-read some of the shorter ones (and had a good cry at Ad Hoc Family)!
Azumanga Daioh and Yotsuba to! are classics, I can't believe I forgot about those and Yome ga Kore na mon de, was super sweet.

I also binge read Mother, I'm Sorry up to the current chapter and love it! Its super entertaining and has a strong connection
(I also became invested enough in the relationship they had with Sungjoon, especially since he's also seeking motherly approval) :)

And I know the upload is not just for me but now I most definitely need to read I'll as well!

If you want a recommendation back, I also loved Love Letter[/url ], but that one is super sad.

Also thanks for the info about the animes, I've somehow completely reverted back to reading manga over anime :O

Users who are viewing this thread